harmonics with EMG81

Updated
idpmofo
have EC500 with 81/60emgs. Certain natural(open) harmonics just dont sound when using my 81. The specific harmonics that Ive noticed are on the 4th frets and 9th frets (19th maybe too). Few others sound weak but are audible. Common ones sound fine (5th, 12th frets etc). When using 60 they all sound normal. Is there a certain frequency cutoff for these pups? or is something else?
riku

check your sting intonation

KH Guitar Freak

Shouldn't be so, harmonics are none the less easy to get on mine...

zerosk8r900

I get more harmonics out of my 81 than any other pickups I've played. It could be that your strings are getting dull and need to be changed because I had somewhat of that same problem and I changed my strings and it was fine.

Bouncepogo

sounds like your strings, EMGs are v high output and harmonics should jump out

tmoori

i love emgs and have had loads of guitars loaded with them but i noticed that the harmonics sucked compared to my other guitars loaded with passives.

idpmofo

Im thinking it may be from the 81 sitting too high. Ive only had it for couple of weeks and its first time with active pups. All of the harmonics ring out thru 60, but when I select both pups they dont. Too be even more specific, the 4th fret on top two strings and 9th frets on bottom two are the open harmonics that are completely un-audible.
I dont have a digital tuner, so Im not completely sure, but the intonation seems fine.
I hate messing with sh!!, bc it becomes a never-ending process for me, lol. I'll drop the pup and see what happens.

Sixstringhotshot

The problem is intonation. It may be poorly adjusted saddles, or it may be dead strings vibrating erraticly, but it's definitely bad intonation.

idpmofo

ok, thx. I'll change strings and get intonation checked.

Post to Thread