Solving gain problem

Updated
bodomfan81
all my guitars have passive pu's. They sound ok when i play my guitar through NI Guitar Rig because i can add a ton of gain there. However, it's a problem if i wanna play it through my preamp. So I was thinking, to solve this problem should buy an overdrive pedal like screamer or replace pickup with emg81? thanks.
Sixstringhotshot

The problem is you're using WAY too much gain. An EMG81 isn't really any higher output than a standard humbucker.

bodomfan81

The problem is you're using WAY too much gain. An EMG81 isn't really any higher output than a standard humbucker.

ok. i guess a pedal then. i never tried emg81 on a real amp yet, so i dont know. without too much gain i cant pinch harmonic well, so i thought maybe emg81 would solve it... i read it has 1.25v output vs passive pickups which are under 0.5v usually.

load more replies (1 of 1)
57Octane

The problem is you're using WAY too much gain.

I love how this went almost totaly unaddressed.

You can't do pinch harmonics without a shit ass load of gain?

How much gain are we talking here? Im getting the sound of radio fuzz in my head. Do you have any clips? What kind of rig are you running? What guitar, amp etc.?

load more replies (1 of 1)
DeathrollJM

if you want more gain, your going to need a clean volume booster, not an OD pedal since they change your tone.

you can build on yourself, they have DIY kits which you can do, given that you would need something to house it in, since they donut come with a case. but the price is about $15 and gives you a clean linear 20db boost simply, more gain.

gorsch

if you want more gain, your going to need a clean volume booster, not an OD pedal since they change your tone.

you can build on yourself, they have DIY kits which you can do, given that you would need something to house it in, since they donut come with a case. but the price is about $15 and gives you a clean linear 20db boost simply, more gain.

where would I find such kit? I'd like to make one.

ESPANDY16

what if you got one of those emg pa2 thingys

MV-CTM

also if your guitar is a piece of crap and doesn't resonate at all then it'll be harder

Post to Thread