I need you advice about a KH2 Vintage

Updated
Jeunehomme .

Dear,

I found this announce near from my home: http://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muziekinstrumenten/elektrische-gitaar/esp-kh2-original-kirk-hammett-284787615.html

I'm very interested but they are some strange things on the guitar:

- The floyd Rose is in Silver => normally, isn't it always a black one?

- The guy says that he is the first owner and all the damages are originals => I never saw so many color damages on a vintage (near the pickups, on the back near the plastic plate).

To be honnest, I never saw a KH2 Vintage in real but I searched on Internet about all the reviews, tests and pictures...I newer saw a silver Floyd rose woth oxide on it and so many color damages on a KH2 Vintage... I repeat that he said that everything is original and as new.

So, what do you think about?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

NIcolas

Pushead

The guitar is legit.  I don't know how much of the wear is "normal" and how much the owner put on it.  I don't think the Floyd is chrome, I think it's just really corroded.  You can see the same discoloration on the control knobs.

Bob B.

Hello, everyone.

I am the owner and seller of this guitar.

To Pushead: It is a legit chrome bridge. The knobs and bridge are chrome. It might be corroded over the years, but it's not my fault, if something chrome starts to corrode, then that means it is badly manufactured.

To Big Daddy B: Nothing is aftermarket, exept for your knowledge about my guitar. I used it once live as backup guitar, and the other times it has always been used in my bedroom.

It has been laying in its case for more than 3 years.

To Nicolas; I did not say things were 'as new'. Maybe you've read my messages wrong.

Bye,

Bob

ESP 348

I have always wondered if as the years go by, does ESP get Kirk's guitar each year to add to the "damage" done over the year to keep it 100% authentic???

My Vintage is a 2006 model from memory and I am sure 10 years later Kirk has more dents, chips and scratches on his guitar than mine does from 2006.

A very interesting question and I should contact ESP and enquire about this if no one already has.

BTW, I cannot open this link for some reason, so I cannot see this guitar Bob is selling.

Bob B.

I will contact ESP. 

You can't see the link because the page is deleted ;-) 

ESP 348

Cheers Bob.

I wonder if I am right which would explain the "after market" (or extra) 'damage' on your backplate and near the pick up as Big Daddy has suggested?

I also haven't seen one with the black nickel finish either. Any pics of your guitar?

Let us know what ESP say please Bob.

Pushead

I'd be more likely to believe that Bob purchased the guitar used.  The guitar wasn't particularly authentic to Kirk's damage, even when the model was new.  The red "Caution" sticker was added to a black refinished section on the guitar.  The original guitar to receive the sticker actually had a large gouge in the body top.

ESP 348

I never saw the guitar in that link Pus, so I can't comment mate.

ESP 348

A 2 year gap inbetween, fair enough.

How about a 10 year age gap? Surely they would be different.

A little disappointing if ESP does not "update" the damage on this vintage guitar based on Kirk's main axe as the years ago by.

Especially if it has been many years as he is quite hard on his guitars.

ESP 348

I have seen some recent pics and vidoes, I still think he is using his original "HOT" guitar. It looks like he has the scalloped fretboard on it now also.

But I understand what you're saying also, whom knows eh.

Guiguitarz

I've noticed too the scalloped fretboard  

I'm sure he still use it live today, he had it on stage in Milano, when I was on stage, I saw the empty back of headstock very close. And I saw the guitar very close as well.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Breadfan32

Hate to break it to you guys but Kirk doesn't even play a KH2

Guiguitarz

ESP 348

I didn't save the pics I saw Big Daddy, but it was definitely his HOT guitar and the fretboard was definitely scalloped down low like the SE.

The pics were very high quality and you could see the fretboard plain as day. There weren't pics of the back of it unfortunately.

I just assumed it was his original HOT guitar as it seemed to be out of action for a while as I only ever saw the Zombie, Mummy and other guitars during that period I was watching their videos and pics from their tour.

Because it was out of action, that's what made me think he had ESP replace the fretboard on it for him and he played his other guitars around that.

I might have even thougth that he finally retired that guitar after 20 years of using it which is why he stopped playing it for a while.

This was around 12+ months and I think I actually posted pics somewhere here on the forum and made comments about the scallops also.

The same goes for the Mummy. He loves playing the Zombie these days, probably only a matter of time before he parks the Mummy up before he totally fucks it.

ESP 348

Edit- From memory now they were playing here in Australia for the Soundwave festival shows and a forum member that used to post here actually takes pics for Metallica Iand he posted the pics here. That is where I got the pics from and remember watching the Met On Tour videos at the time they were updated weekly.

I was very interested in these pics and videos because I attended the Brisbane Soundwave show myself. They headlined 5 Soundwave festival shows in Australia through Jan and Feb 2013.

I was front row middle of the stage at the Brisbane show and at the end of the show I tossed my Aussie flag on stage and it landed on a front stage monitor. *Damn it!*

I then yelled at James a couple of times until he looked at me and yelled "what!!!" He was quite irritated when he finally saw me.

I pointed to the flag laying on top of the stage monitor and he looked back, smiled at me, gave me a big thumbs up and then picked it up to give to Rob to lay over the top of Lar's drum kit.

James then gave the security guard 2x guitar pics he was tossing to the crowd to pass onto me. Followed up by a thank you and thumbs up again from James.

It was the best 2 minutes of my life.....

Pushead

Here's the gouged out area on the original(?) KH-2 that received the caution sticker.  It's a frame capture of the video from the DVD Ogrullo Pasion y Gloria show from 2009.  He played that guitar quite a lot at that show, which by 2009 was fairly uncommon.  No idea about the scalloping, but again, my thought is that the damage isn't updated as the years go by.  Kirk has several "KH-2" guitars, it would hard to pick which one to model the damage from.

Guiguitarz

I was remembering last night about it, and I remember that in 2006 at Seoul, he had his original "HOT" and we can clearly see that the last frets are scalloped, OR => really really used  !

And we can clearly see that it has nothing at the back of the headstock (except the sticker on the edge that Justin paste for the tuning setting) AND I'm sure that I've seen THIS guitar in Milano last year, REEEAAALLY damaged, and anthentic, and => The SOUND  ! Terrefic and unique.

ESP 348

There ya go, I knew they were scalloped and he must have been using the same guitar back in 2013 when I saw those videos and pics.

See that paint missing from the top of the body under his arm??

There is A LOT more paint worn on his guitar than on my Vintage guitar, so it definitely doesn't look like ESP ever updates the Vintage look.

A little disappointing really, it would be nice if keep adding to the damage every few years or so to keep it a little more realisitc. It wouldn't take much to make this happen. I would still buy it as it would be exactly what Kirk's actual stage used guitar is like and that's why you pay the big bucks for it.

My Vintage is nothing like Kirk's guitar anymore, his is beat to shit and I want mine beat to shit also! Perhaps I can lend him mine for a few tours.

Here is a pic from the current 2016 ESP guitar product range of the Vintage guitar.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/9382-kh-2-vintage?category_id=1963398-kirk-hammett

Post to Thread