mx-250 or gibson explorer

Updated
mx-250 or gibson explorer

Hi this is my first post and ive seen so many things about the mx-250 and i want to know if its better than the gibson explorer and if so why? What are the differences (other than brand obviously) between the two

Pushead

Spec-wise, they're essentially the same; mahogany body and necks, 24.75" scale.  The ESP (typically) has an ebony fretboard, the Gibson (typically) has rosewood.

The ESP has a wider nut than the Gibson.  The Gibson is significantly less expensive, and easier to find.  The ESP MX-II (it doesn't go by the name MX-250 anymore) is a special order guitar, and not available outside of Japan.  ESP won't even admit that it's an model available to order any longer.

As a special order, it's made in the Custom Shop, meaning it's made by the most talented builders and given the highest level of attention.  How ESP differentiates the difference between "E-II level attention" and "Custom Shop level attention", I'm not sure.  But finding one at a shop in Japan, it would cost in the $5000 USD range.  A Gibson USA Explorer sells for $1600.

Nathan S.

I don't like pickguards, or the standard gibson control layout. I wish they would have the '84 style as a standard production model for the $1600 you speak of Pus.

Robbie S.

Ok thanks for the info pushead ( Iove the name lol XD) so I'd realistically have to get an explorer and some how put active pickups in it. how would one do that?

Pushead

Buy the Gibson (or Epiphone, etc.) and put the EMGs in it.  Not a difficult thing to do, especially with the solderless system they use.  Fitting a battery in the Gibson cavity is tight, but possible.

Robbie S.

alright thanks

Big Daddy B

Theres a bunch of mid 80s explorers on eBay right now, granted a fair share of them have Kahlers. This one might be of interest to you: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1984-Gibson-Explorer-Custom-/321824947322?hash=item4aee42fc7a

Robbie S.

it seems pretty cool 

ESPEXP

ESP MX-250 all the way. Feels and plays better.

Pushead

Except in the wallet.

MarcoNL

Ever thought about an Edwards Explorer?

Robbie S.

what's an edwards explorer?

RaulTx

Robbie, Edwards is an ESP brand for the Japan market, they still sell explorers with the pre-lawsuit shape.

Madhat

Explorers are awesome if you can get them at the right price, I scored a Epiphone appirition a few years back and kick myself in the ass for selling it lol 

Robbie S.

yeah explorers are pretty sick I played the epiphone 84 ex one at sweetwater it sounded amazing and was really comfortable

Post to Thread