Esp strat "order made" ... ?

Updated
Esp strat "order made" ... ?

Hello everyone, I'm new here !

I'm posting here because I would like to ask you guys, Esp experts, if this guitar seems "legit" to you as a Custom Order Esp Strat from the 80's.

Basically, it's supposed to be a 400 series Strat with special features.

I bought this recently on Ebay, and the seller told me that it was made in 1985, with a swamp ash body and maple neck, and Order made at that time. He says that it's 100% all original... but there are some clues that are bugging me.

I tried to contact the seller in order to have more precisions and information, but he dodges the questions and ensures that it's all original.

Moreover, I've already the ESP customer service on this website, and here is their answer : "This instrument may be authentic, however authenticity cannot be certified from photos only and often records for certain instruments are not available."

So for now, I'm still confused.

Here are the "weird things" : 

1) The serial number is 40039, and it's supposed to reffer to the year 1985, which is strange.

2) The tuners are stamped "Deluxe" at the back, and the saddles of the tremolo are stamped "Fender", I find it weird too (would it be ESP stamp instead, no?)

3) What means the marks both on the neck pocket (in english) and on the heel of the neck (in japanese)?

4) Are the pickups original? Especially the middle one?

5) About the pots : the middle tone one is written (picture) : 3446 250k A R8714, and the 5 way switch selector is a CRL made in USA.
Is it normal?

Any help and information are welcome !

The pictures :

Thank you very much... :-)

Cheers

Pushead

In the late 70s and early 80s ESP was a reproduction part maker.  They made parts that were often used as replacements for Fender guitars (and others) and used to build "partscasters" (like Warmoth today.)  They eventually started making their own instruments and got away from the replacement parts business.

I suspect this is just a parts guitar someone put together in the early to mid 80s from ESP ordered parts and whatever hardware they had from old guitars.

Tralala B.

Thanks for your reply !

Ok I understand, but at this time (1985), ESP was making their own Strat like the 400 series, with ESP stamped parts so it's weird that they didn't put directly their own ones on a "Custom Ordered" guitar, unless it has been modified afterward.

But things that leave me skeptical the most are : the serial number, and the marking on both the neck pocket and the heel of the neck. 

I don't know what it means at all, and it's still a mistery for me. I either don't know how the seller dated the guitar, because even the ESP company can't tell me.

I've paid 2000$ for it, I guess it was a bit high.

Pushead

Yikes. $2000 US Dollars? 

Tralala B.

Yes ...

jt76

From the neck stamps I think its a Fender japan body. 

The string tree is the wrong type and in the wrong place. for an esp.  The logo is not the correct ESP logo for the lawsuit headstock. 

Without better pictures I can't confirm or deny that it is or isn't an esp neck - a side profile showing how the frets are set might help.

I believe ESP did make a lawsuit headstock for a short period of time for the US market, and also used that headstock a lot longer in other markets

ESP parts sold - individual guitar parts, like a neck only or a body only, tuners, bridges, ect. 

ESP parts bodies were stamped ESP In large font that filled the entire neck pocket.

ESP parts necks had ESP engraved in the back of the headstock. 

The neck plate is an ESP neck plate.

Tralala B.

(Sorry for the delay...)

Waow ! What a full description, thank you for your help!

Your are confirming my doubts, it's a scam...

I will take a picture of the side of the neck ;-)

For now I've filed a claim via Paypal to return the guitar, but they ask me a proof from an expert (luthier, etc...) that explain the "problems" on the guitar... 

How can I do?

jt76

here are some pics of mine.  its an 80's era 400 series,  made for the US market it was assembled in the 48th ESP shop in New York.

http://www.espguitars.com/photos/2287628

if I get a chance I will pull the neck and pickguard and take some pictures.

a standard 400 series usually sells between $ 600 and $800 - sometimes a little more sometimes a little less.  

a custom order version of the 400 series should sell between $700 and $1000 - sometimes a little more sometimes a little less.

The really high end custom ESP or 48th street guitars with fancy inlays or maple tops from this period usually only sell for $1000-$1500.

$2000 is kind of on the high side.  even for what the seller was claiming it was.  

not a lot of information out there about the old ESP's and no one at ESP USA seems to know anything about the older guitars.

someone at Fender Guitars or on a fender forum might be able to help confirm my suspicions about the neck pocket markings.

https://www.facebook.com/Koiz.Japan - this guy collects and sell vintage japanese guitars, including ESP's  he may be able to help you figure out exactly what you have.

Good luck,  

Tralala B.

Ok thank you very much jt76, I will try to contact him !

Thank you again for all these informations !

Enda O.

Hello great information on this site and it would be great to share some information on my ESP guitars and get some of my own questions answered.  

Post to Thread