KH2 Serial Number

Updated
KH2 Serial Number

Hi,

I've a question for you. I've been trying to find out a bit more info on my KH-2 from the serial number and you might be able to help.

I bought my KH2 new in 2000 in Ireland, It's stamped with an ESP CUSTOM GUITARS logo in the back of the headstaock and the serial number is 38855 - I've had the guitar and CoA authenticated by ESP customer service already. They can confirm that is was produced in Japan in the late 1990's. What I'm trying to find out is why does my guitar not have a a K- prefix serial number like other guitars of this period that I've come across? Also, my CoA is slightly different again form others of the same time period - were different CoA's issues for defferent regions??

Any help would be great

Thanks!!

Pix:

RZK

I believe the COA is an American thing. I've seen one like that before. K serial number prefix denotes Kiso custom shop. I'm not too familiar with neckplate serials, but I don't believe there is a letter with them. Could be wrong. ESP does produce different runs for different regions. Could explain the inconsistencies.

'90s ESPs are the best. Got an early '90s 901, and it's amazing. I'd love to get a few old KH2s like yours. Sorry I can't really tell you more about it.

Kevin.

Yeah was thinking that there might be different CoA's etc. for different regions alright. Even so, I saw a KH2 for sale on US ebay with a very close serial number to mine and their CoA is identical also to mine.

ESP Customer service did say to me in their email that the record keeping from the late 90's was inconsistant - which is a shame, it would be nice if there were was more info available.

Pushead

For the Kirk guitars, the K number was implimented differently than the 2000's era custom shop designation for Kiso.

For the KH guitars vs

For Kiso shop guitars.

No idea why your particular guitar doesn't have a K serial number.  I think I have a COA for the KH-2 (it was special made with the moon inlays but no ouija design), but I don't remember if it looks like yours.  From memory, the original owner said he got it in 97 or 98.

Pushead

The guitars that came out before it was officially called a KH-2 (referred to as an M-II deluxe) didn't typically have a serial number on the back of the headstock.  The front of those showed ESP Custom (no KH sig).  Perhaps yours is comes from between those times?  New in 2000 seems too new for no serial number, but I don't know when things were changed or if things happened all at once.

suffer_remain

well, from the http://www.guitarscollector.com/index.html, it is said that the production of KH2 between 2000 and 2002 doesnt have the K serial numbers on the back of the headstock. My KH2 included. I bought it off someone whom had purchased that guitar in 2001. 

Leon C.

I have a question re my esp m2

i posted some photos for reference

is the guitar legit? I dont see any serial number behind the neck

ESP 348

I can't see any pics Leon. Post them again please mate.

Post to Thread