ESP OLD SERIALS REVEALED!!!

Updated
ESP OLD SERIALS REVEALED!!!

EUREKA!!! 

Hi guys! I've a great news...

After years and years of interrogatives on how it works, after looking lot of serials, I think I've understand how works the old format of serial numbers (before the introduction of the new system in 2000). If this is true I think I'm really helpfull for a lot of people here...

But I want the flag of "discoverer" of this!

Before year 2000 - 8 DIGITS stamped on the back of the headstock, I think the meaning is:

DDMMYNNN
DD = day of the month (01 to 31)
MM = month (01 to 12)
Y = last digit of the year (ex: 1992 = 2)
NNN = production number (000 to 999) (I really don't know if there's another subdivision here)

NOTE: year "7" can mean 1987 or 1997, "8" can mean 1988 or 1998...etc...you have to look at the model in production that year
EXAMPLE: the code of my MX-250 25023072 means the manufacturing date is 25.02.1993 and it was the 72nd guitar producted

For now all the guitars I've checked are right with this meaning...Let me know what you think about!!!

I also invite you to visit my website, 

http://www.GuitarsCollector.com

the ESP serial number section is here:

https://www.guitarscollector.com/esp-serial-numbers.html

GUAMAIK

I have a navigator guitar Badged ESP, Gibson Style headstock, esp script logo and limited model written in the middle of the headstock, probably custom made, serial number 27048318, I understand is from 1998 built in April 27th. correct?

GuitarsCollector

YES!

ESPEXP

Thanks for all your hardwork on this! It helped me figure out when my MX-250 was made! It's great to be able to figure this stuff out now.

gswoo

Anyone know what year model this is?  I have owned it for about 20 or more years. Just says ESP Series on the front of the head stock. 

Nothing on the back of headstock but the black bolt on neck plate just says ESP then 00000325.

Thank you to anyone that knows anything about this one.

GuitarsCollector

I think this serial is consecutive...from 000000001...

FC Spoiler

I might be getting this one, that would be 26 November 1990 I guess?

GuitarsCollector

YES! (1990 or 2000...I don't know, they changed the numeration during 2000 so you have to consider also the production model...)

FC Spoiler

Thanx!

Must be 1990, the last I've seen in an ESP catalogue were from '93 :-)  (Horizon bass)

SLEDGE H.

anyone ones help would be appreciated i have a beautiful horizon custom shop  want to know  when it was made 5 digit plate is 2106x  x-unreaved for secured

thank you in advance

Caine

Hi guys! I bought an ESP KH2, second hand, no papers.... I have this serial number K-22191 with a sticker made in Japan  and a stamp ESP custom guitars, do you think it was made in 1998 ? Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Caine

Thanks a lot !!! 

Fabricio V.

I have a esp mirage custom, series number is: 8078765 help me!! Thanks!

GuitarsCollector
Fabricio V. wrote:

I have a esp mirage custom, series number is: 8078765 help me!! Thanks!

Made in 1988...format is 08-07-8-765

http://www.guitarscollector.com/esp-serial-numbers.html

Rakk M.

Hi, help me with this built.

K0735501

Just got the guitar . No esp standard series circle stamp at back.

Just the serial number back and the esp block logo with small wording-electric sound products custom guitars front . 

Its the Randy Rhoads Style V guitar. 

Pushead

Photos would help, but by the serial number it's a 2007 custom shop build.  Photos would help determine if it's a legit ESP.

Andrew W.

One thing you all need to keep in mind is that Esp Japan had/has sveral guitar shops, and I bet in the earlier days (in the 80's and 90's) they did it their own way, and not in a commom Esp-way like today.

I now own an Original Series Horizon with the serial being K1352403 and next to it their new Custom Shop logo of the world map (which I prefer over the old classic round circle, to be honest) and the only thing I'm sure of is, is that it's made in 2013 in their Kiso shop. Then I assume the next two digits are of the week, in this case week 52, followed by the number representing the production day of that week, in my case the 4 being Thursday which is then followed by 03, that my guitar was the third guitar finished that day.

I've also owned an earlier Japanese production M-II CTM, made for the Japanese market as it didn't have any letters and I've learnt that for the Japanese market they only produce guitars with numbers in their serials, no letters nor no stamp. I did e-mail Esp Japan about this guitar and they could only tell me the year it was produced in.

\m/ ESP Guitars For Life \m/

Andrew W.
ESP 348

Interesting Andrew, thanks for sharing mate.

Andrew W.

Does anyone know if the E in the serial always stands for 'Exhibition' or if it has another meaning? I've seen several different guitars on the Japanese sites that have the E in their serial but can't magine theße being Exhibition only guitars.

Here's one example:

http://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop4899/DS03590839/

Cheers!

Post to Thread