ESP Explorer

Updated
ESP Explorer

Well hi y'all ESP fans!  I have a black ESP Explorer which I bought new back in 1995 when I was really, really obsessed by Metallica. The guitar has been laying in it's case for years without seen any real use but occasional "I feel like playing Leper Messiah with volume on 11" type of playing. I love Metallica's first five albums and like to listen to them every now and then but I'm pretty much all rockabilly nowdays. So I was thinking of selling the guitar but I want it to have a good home in hands of some young thrasher (I'm 41 now) with a heart of flames.  Well it seems that it isn't enough to say that I'm selling ESP Explorer since there seems to be quite a few different versions. Maybe you can help me out with this. As I previously mentioned I bought it new in 1995 from a respected ESP dealer here in Finland. The guitar is black with bolt-on neck and is supposed to have two EMG-81s, the headstock logo is greyish with gold drop shadow in front and on the rear it says ESP custom guitars in white round logo and there is a grey sticker that says Made in Japan. The serial number is 18118 if I remember it correctly.

Thanks you for your help,

Josey

Josey S.

I did some more research and it seems to be the EXP.

boogie20

How much?

taliababa

How much are you looking to get for it? Do you have any pics?

Josey S.

Hi. Sorry about not answering. I've been away. I don't really know. It's more sentimental value to me nowdays. I have to check how much people usually ask of these. I have pictures of it and can take more specific photos if need be. BUT I live in Finland if that is a problem to you or anyone. The guitar works great and sounds great but it's not mint anymore and the case is kinda battered.

boogie20

is it bolt on or set neck? How can i see pics?

Roy jr.

Lucky guy 

Josey S.

It's bolt-on as I mentioned. Here are some photos I took.

boogie20

Ah, oops. Looks in good condition. What kind of price are you thinking?

Josey S.

That's the problem. I don't know. Maybe around 1000 euros. If you take a closer look at the headstock you'll see two places where the painting has come off. Underneath the 'E' of the ESP logo and under the 'O' of the word custom. The guitar has several "dents" (or whatever you'd call 'em) like those. They aren't big though (biggest being roughly the size of a thumb nail). The case is really battered. Tell me if you need more pics. Even if you are not interested of buying the guitar.

J

Pushead

When converted to USD, that's an excellent price for the guitar (at least here in the States.)  Looks in great shape.  If it was a better parket for selling gear, I'd say you could get 12-1300 Euro for it.  You might have to try a bit harder to sell it, though.

Josey S.

Yea I thought something like that. I think I'll settle for the 1000-1100€ price all the same and will also put a new set of strings on it and check the intonation too. The frets look like they need filing. I may have to have that done too.

J

boogie20

that seems like a fair price. BUt with shipping to canada, it may be out of my price range. especially since i just bought a mesa boogie mark v:25 head

Josey S.

Thanks for the advice / guidance. Boogies are expensive.  I prefer the old school Mark 2, 3 and Studio Preamp sound over the rectifiers. That fat, punchy Boogie distortion has more character in my opinion. Fender Twin Reverb for clean, Marshall JMP 2203 for crunch and Mesa/Boogie Mark 2C+ for distortion. I'd be happy with that combination.

J

marvin l.

do you still have this guitar for sale?

Josey S.

Yes I still have it. As I mentioned I'm gonna have the frets filed and I'm gonna put a new set of strings on it and check the intonation, and after I've done all that it will be officially for sale.

boogie20

How much including shipping to Canada?

Post to Thread