• John J.

Vintage ESP M/KH Custom info ?

I just got this guitar . It says ESP Custom in the headstock.

"ESP Custom Guitars" on the back.

Reverse headstock

M shaped body with a bolt on neck.

Skull inlays a la KH models.

ESP passive pickups

ESP floyd rose trem

Any clue about exact model, year .... ?

• Travis L.

Give me the serial numbers brotha! Should be one on the back of the headstock and on the plate where it bolts on! 

• John J.

Hi Travis ! thanks, unfortunately there is no serial number, it looks like it didnt have one or it was peeled off (theres a mark like if there was a sticker once) . The plate was the only thing replaced and does not have the original one.

By the way I forgot to say the pickups are not the classic open coils. They have a plastic cover like EMG but with the ESP name on em.

• Pushead

Except for the passive pickups it sounds like an early 90's ESP M-II Deluxe.  It's essentially a KH-2 before they made it a model.  I have one, too.

• John J.

Yes i was thinking that but according to the catalog ESP M-II was labeled "ESP Deluxe" on the headstock and mine says "ESP Custom".

The pickup thing is killing me, never saw them before but look genuine.

• Pushead

It is listed as an M-II Deluxe, but it says "Custom" on the headstock.

From the 1993 catalog:

• John J.

Thanks mate i checked that 93 catalog but guessed it was "Deluxe" what was stamped on the headstock ... it is quite difficult to see it .

Bridge is dfntly a Schaller unlike the one in the catalog ... that and the pickup im thinking maybe the guitar is even older ...

Did these have serials stamped in the neck joint ?

• Pushead

I've never removed the neck to find out.  It has a serial number on the neck plate.  It also has a LFR made by Kahler instead of Schaller.  I suspect that ESP was using whatever parts they could source.  Or perhaps a previous owner swapped the pickups between two ESP guitars.

• load more replies (1 of 1)
    • jed s.

the custom shop m-ii with the skull n crossbones all said esp custom on headstock. is it the pups that have black covers and have esp in the center on the bottom if so i have seen those before in some of the older models maybe 89ish

Cancel