Of Neck Dives and Flying V's

Updated
darkladytaelyn
Hello all. Quick question as I've been wondering a little. I'm kicking around the idea, rather strongly, of going for a custom shop 5-String bass in the Standard V body. Major question on my mind is, for those currently playing or have played standard V's, is whether or not there's any neck dive issues? I've got an ol' six-string guitar from another company that sounds great, feels great, but it's such a pain to constantly re-shift the position of the instrument. Hells, the only way I've gotten that thing to stay still is to hold the back point "arm" of the body with my right leg...which looks and feels as funny as it sounds. But I'm ranting now... I'm mostly asking because I'm anticipating the 35" scale screwing with it compared to the, what, 25ish" I think the guitars sit at? I've also not yet gotten a chance to see any ESP/LTD V's in person myself to know - local stores carry the LTD Eclipses and Vipers, mostly. Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated, ~Taelyn
andrei

I'm mostly asking because I'm anticipating the 35" scale screwing with it compared to the, what, 25ish" I think the guitars sit at

i think it'll neckdive like hell.
and i don't believe that quality of the wood, or specs, can avoid that, becose of the exact same reason you've stated above.

good luck!

diadorastriker

guitar=no neck dive bass=hell yes

andrei

most v's (guitars) i've seen do neckdive, but i guess by choosing the wood, quality and thickness, and strapbutton locations, it can be avoided, especialy on a custom.

but i don't think it's as simple on a bass, becose of the scale length.

Pushead

You might try making the body larger, which will help offset the longer neck.

greenman

for what it's worth, I own two LTD flying Vs - and neither of them have any neck dive.

OBSERVER

I own the traditional Gibson V and Jackson Rhoads V guitars. No neck diving whatsoever.

FloroSapien

It'll be quite worse than the guitar.

You should also maybe experiment with different strap placments.

zombieattack9

good strap button placement along with GOOD wood will circumvent any neck dives imo

andrei

good strap button placement along with GOOD wood will circumvent any neck dives imo
+1

Post to Thread