Buying an ESP Explorer custom bolt on

Updated
Buying an ESP Explorer custom bolt on
What do you think guys, I will be selling my gibson relic explorer in white which is now yellow with relic paint job. Is it worth getting one? Its a custom bolt on black etc rosewood board, is there a lot of difference you think, also is there much difference between this and an mx250, other than ebony board and set neck etc... Thanks
Microdomus

^^Well, the sound and feel of the MX250 is way better. Better quality built wise...feels more solid and exlusive. The neck joint on the ESP EXP is what I find to be somewhat fragile...went out of tune more often than my set neck guitars(NOT the Gibsons..).

Gfunk

EXP = Maple Neck

MX = Mafagony Neck

Still no pics eh?

Right.

Microdomus

ESP EXP = Bolt on/rosewood fretboard/mahogany body and MAPLE neck

ESP MX250 = Set neck/ebony fretboard/mahogany body AND neck

With_Strength_I_Burn

What do you think guys, I will be selling my gibson relic explorer in white which is now yellow with relic paint job.

Is it worth getting one?

Its a custom bolt on black etc rosewood board, is there a lot of difference you think, also is there much difference between this and an mx250, other than ebony board and set neck etc...

Thanks

you could also settle with warmoth, cheaper and fairly good quality

emg32

I actually like the ESP bolt-on EXP's better than the ESP set-neck MX-250's I have owned. I personally think the EXP's sound much better than the MX's. The feel is about the same and I have never had any tuning problems with the EXP's being bolt on's.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Microdomus

^^Well, the sound came from the neck joint, so...its has to be the bolt-on construction. However, maby it was just mine EXP that suffered this weakness, and not the EXPs in general. I don`t know....but it also makes some sense to me that a bolt on construction is...dare I say "weaker", than a set neck git. Another example here... if I struck a chord of some sort on the EXP while sitting and playing, and I`d lift the guitar up near my face holding left hand on neck, while right hand on side of the body(ca strap placement), the chord/note that I hit would immediatly turn sour. This has yet to happen with any of the set neck gits I have own/owned/tested. This just tells me...something is a tad weak here.

I have no peticular fave when it comes to bolt on VS Set neck. I had a hard time selling the EXP, cause I love the damn thing. Flawless finish, and great sound. But in the end, this axe just couldn`t hold a candle next to my MX.

emg32

^^Well, the sound came from the neck joint, so...its has to be the bolt-on construction. However, maby it was just mine EXP that suffered this weakness, and not the EXPs in general. I don`t know....but it also makes some sense to me that a bolt on construction is...dare I say "weaker", than a set neck git. Another example here... if I struck a chord of some sort on the EXP while sitting and playing, and I`d lift the guitar up near my face holding left hand on neck, while right hand on side of the body(ca strap placement), the chord/note that I hit would immediatly turn sour. This has yet to happen with any of the set neck gits I have own/owned/tested. This just tells me...something is a tad weak here.

Sounds like you could of had some slight play in your bolt-on. Probably just needed to be shimmed slightly. Easy fix probably. IMO that is not typical of bolt-on necks, if they are of good quality, but that goes for all guitars.

Most bolt-on's are solid, I know mine are, and just as reliable as neck-thru or set-neck guitars.

I don't really have a preference on neck construction either but bolt-on's do have a distinct attack and tone that set-necks and neck-thrus sometimes lack. Neck construction is just a preference thing more than anything else though. I wouldn't say any neck construction is better than another.

Grindting

relevant

Post to Thread