MX neck

Updated
DyersEve87
Hey guys Alright, i don't mean to add a thread that cannot contain a comprehensive conversation about customs altogether, but the other day i scored a genuine ESP custom MX neck off the bay in excellent condition(very rare to find one on there) I don't know a whole lot about its history, how old, exact model etc... The neck was shipped minus machine heads, nut, and truss rod cover. Now i am probably going to get sperzels and use the method i have seen sean talk about, if i can find the thread that explains it. as far as the truss rod cover, i am unsure about getting the kind sean uses(bell shape) as i am not sure if extra drilling is necessary, but i would like one! The nut is my main problem, i thought i would ask the experienced MX owners on here, how to go about choosing a nut for it, what you guys use, and so on. I am somewhat of a noob but would appreciate any help! pictures of the body that the neck will be conjoined with are in the "My MX is now a year old" thread, at the end
SYL

I'm assuming you mean it came without the truss rod COVER. The plastic piece that goes over the exposed area at the headstock.

The one Sean has is a bell shaped cover. Those are harder to come by as ESP doesn't make 'em anymore. Maybe Sean has a few extras for sale, I dunno. I've seen a few on Ebay a while back and some guy was charging $60 bucks for one. Don't spend that much on a piece of plastic :P.

As for the nut. MX's typically come with a graphite nut. You could do bone, brass, etc. Google search it (be careful what you search for, last thing you want your search to find is a buncha testicles) and figure out what type of material you would prefer.

In regards to the Sperzels. A lot of people do the method that Ans/Sean have talked about. Removing the guide pin that is design to hold the tuner in place. Personally, I wouldn't do it. They're not meant to function that way. Doesn't mean they don't/won't. I just wouldn't recommend it.

DyersEve87

I'm assuming you mean it came without the truss rod COVER. The plastic piece that goes over the exposed area at the headstock.

The one Sean has is a bell shaped cover. Those are harder to come by as ESP doesn't make 'em anymore. Maybe Sean has a few extras for sale, I dunno. I've seen a few on Ebay a while back and some guy was charging $60 bucks for one. Don't spend that much on a piece of plastic :P.

As for the nut. MX's typically come with a graphite nut. You could do bone, brass, etc. Google search it (be careful what you search for, last thing you want your search to find is a buncha testicles) and figure out what type of material you would prefer.

In regards to the Sperzels. A lot of people do the method that Ans/Sean have talked about. Removing the guide pin that is design to hold the tuner in place. Personally, I wouldn't do it. They're not meant to function that way. Doesn't mean they don't/won't. I just wouldn't recommend it.

Yeah i made quite a few edits to that thread, i have had a few drinks and for some reason i leave a lot of words out. Yeah i have found a few websites that sell the bell truss rod covers but i noticed the screw hole on my neck is a lot closer to the exposure of the rod than the length one of those covers would go. I did some research on the graphite nut, about how it's lubricated specifically for trem use, so i figured that wouldn't apply to my tune-a-matic. The thing is i dont know a lot about what would accentuate the purpose of a custom, and i definitely have never had a preference in nut material, but i will consider the bone material thanks, and good thing you said that about the sperzels, i was skeptical about removing a piece of 50 dollar tuners. Its just that i have seen on this forum that pretty much everyone prefers sperzels. If i were to install sperzels and drill new holes, would the original holes be exposed?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Mr Walley

I saw something that looked tidy when someone put on sperzels. They took the chrome screws from their previous tuners and screwed them in the empty holes. It actually looked good, so if you can find 6 small chrome or gloss black screws you could fill the holes with those. I thought it looked pretty good.

Metfuk

I saw something that looked tidy when someone put on sperzels. They took the chrome screws from their previous tuners and screwed them in the empty holes. It actually looked good, so if you can find 6 small chrome or gloss black screws you could fill the holes with those. I thought it looked pretty good.

Hey that's a nice idea!

load more replies (2 of 2)
Mr Walley

I just saw the thread and read through the posts, so I just thought I would give my 2 cents.

HoloFlash

That is a good idea!

Post to Thread