Isnt a custom, custom anymore? (anything goes)

Updated
gothicpheonix
I was reading a thread by "metsabbitallica" and saw how he got shot down so quick for having a simmilar idea so someone else so i figured id open up the debate. I always figured custom, meant custom. you should be able to copy none or all of someone else's design. take it as a complement, not an insult. I mean personally i love hetfields eet fuk inlays and would love to have them on one of my guitars and i think thats whats kl about custom work we can get inspiration from each others ideas. i mean esp make the majority of its money from copied or modified ideas. Mii = Strat Viper = SG Exp = Explorer Eclipse = Les Paul And what the hell do you call a signature guitar other than an exact copy of an artists personal design. I personally would not copy anyones exact design or buy a signature model if i could help it. I know this may offend some people to actually hear this but i just think its better to come up with a better or more personal version and have it made or mod a guitar to your own preferences. A guitar with someones name on it will not make you play as good as them, we can all see this from a certain person on "youtube" with more money to spend on metallica sigs than sense. Im not saying that hes a bad player i just think the money could be spent better if not wasted on having james or kirks name on it. Same goes for any of you brand snobs out there, its great if you love one brand like ESP and have never had any issues. But im constantly hearing about bad finishes etc on these boards and i think some of you guys need to open up to all the other options out there. Don't buy for the name look around and play guitars by all brands ignoring the name until you get what feels and sounds right for you. then you will truly have the one that you always wanted, be it a squire or a custom ESP.
Rich

I was reading a thread by "metsabbitallica" and saw how he got shot down so quick for having a simmilar idea so someone else so i figured id open up the debate.

I always figured custom, meant custom. you should be able to copy none or all of someone else's design. take it as a complement, not an insult.

I mean personally i love hetfields eet fuk inlays and would love to have them on one of my guitars and i think thats whats kl about custom work we can get inspiration from each others ideas.

i mean esp make the majority of its money from copied or modified ideas.
Mii = Strat
Viper = SG
Exp = Explorer
Eclipse = Les Paul

And what the hell do you call a signature guitar other than an exact copy of an artists personal design.

I personally would not copy anyones exact design or buy a signature model if i could help it. I know this may offend some people to actually hear this but i just think its better to come up with a better or more personal version and have it made or mod a guitar to your own preferences.
Agreed.
A guitar with someones name on it will not make you play as good as them, we can all see this from a certain person on "youtube" with more money to spend on metallica sigs than sense.
Im not saying that hes a bad player i just think the money could be spent better if not wasted on having james or kirks name on it.
I'm sure he doesn't buy this gear with the notion his skill will increase. I had a KH-2 custom shop when I was 14. I wasn't great, and I knew the guitar wasn't going to magically make me better. I chose to and still choose to spend a lot of money on gear that is somewhat unnecessary. Do I need 2 Eclipses that vary only in color? No, but I have enough money to spend somewhat frivolously on things I like. People can also buy guitars with an intention of collecting, and not play that well. Should he not collect then because he isn't good?
Same goes for any of you brand snobs out there, its great if you love one brand like ESP and have never had any issues. But im constantly hearing about bad finishes etc on these boards and i think some of you guys need to open up to all the other options out there. Don't buy for the name look around and play guitars by all brands ignoring the name until you get what feels and sounds right for you. then you will truly have the one that you always wanted, be it a squire or a custom ESP. I have only ESP (and ltd) guitars. I agree with you despite this; but I have never had a bad finish or anything on any of my guitars.

gothicpheonix

I'm sure he doesn't buy this gear with the notion his skill will increase. I had a KH-2 custom shop when I was 14. I wasn't great, and I knew the guitar wasn't going to magically make me better. I chose to and still choose to spend a lot of money on gear that is somewhat unnecessary. Do I need 2 Eclipses that vary only in color? No, but I have enough money to spend somewhat frivolously on things I like. People can also buy guitars with an intention of collecting, and not play that well. Should he not collect then because he isn't good?
I have only ESP (and ltd) guitars. I agree with you despite this; but I have never had a bad finish or anything on any of my guitars.

your a lucky man never to have come across a slight flaw ever.

Ive nothing against collecting if you have the cash, as i too have guitars that i don't need but i would rather spend the money on them than waste it on too much alcohol.

But you have just raised another issue here, are signature guitars values defined by the quality of the build and playability or is it plain an simply how close they look to the artists axe and the fact it has a name on it that gives it that value to the buyer.

load more replies (1 of 1)
BrazilianBootyLover

I always figured custom, meant custom. you should be able to copy none or all of someone else's design. take it as a complement, not an insult.

I copied Johns from the black dahlia murder custom M II. The only thing I changed was the bridge to a gotoh fixed.

hermz

Sure. People are free to order what they want for the most part. If someone wants to pay that kind of money and wait that long for a "custom" guitar that has already been done before, then so be it. It's their money, their choice. I'd personally be a bit pissed if someone copied my custom, just because I put a lot of time into getting the design/specs exactly how I wanted my one-off, dream guitar to be and then worrying about how it would turn out in the end. But there's nothing much I can do about someone wanting to copy it except abuse them.

BrazilianBootyLover

Bottom line is, its your money. Lots of times I make a custom and it looks like shit or stupid. Then I see someone else's and I say to myself "that's perfect!!" If you think its dumb then don't buy it but don't put people down fro something they want to do. Like what if you wanted to marry a 400 pound fat bitch and I said I hate fat chicks so I wouldn't. But I wouldn't tell the whole world they shouldn't marry fat chicks.

hermz

But I wouldn't tell the whole world they shouldn't marry fat chicks.

I would

Greatdeceiver

Some people when they hear keyword "custom" think about quality build rather than their personal design. I dont have a problem with guys having all alexi's or kiko's sigs. Its their money, and we shouldnt care.

Bridge The Void

Same goes for any of you brand snobs out there, its great if you love one brand like ESP and have never had any issues. But im constantly hearing about bad finishes etc on these boards and i think some of you guys need to open up to all the other options out there. Don't buy for the name look around and play guitars by all brands ignoring the name until you get what feels and sounds right for you. then you will truly have the one that you always wanted, be it a squire or a custom ESP.

I only stick with ESP because I want an endorsement :p

Nah, they're good guitars too. The only guitars that hold up and make me feel confident about my sound and the feel of my guitar when playing live. When I'm off stage though, I'd probably lean towards a nice Rosewood Strat or moreso a PRS Custom 22...

...neither of which I have or can afford yet, because my live rig is a more pressing issue :(

But anyway yeah...customs...

Post to Thread