Set neck, neck thru etc.

Updated
gab4554
I know bolt on is neck in the body with bolts or something like that. But whats the diffrence between Bolt on Neck-Thru Set-Neck Set-Thru what they change on the guitar and which one is best and the worst?
hermz

There is no best and worst, only personal preference.

Here are the facts:

Bolt on: The neck is bolted onto the body.
Neck-thru: The neck also forms the centre column of the body.
Set neck: The neck is glued onto the body.
Set-thru: The neck is glued onto the body and the neck joint is carved smooth.

Neck-thru and set-thru guitars generally have good upper fret access. A lot of people will tell you neck-thru guitars have better sustain than the others.

Creepingshredder

There is no best and worst, only personal preference.

Here are the facts:

Bolt on: The neck is bolted onto the body.
Neck-thru: The neck also forms the centre column of the body.
Set neck: The neck is glued onto the body.
Set-thru: The neck is glued onto the body and the neck joint is carved smooth.

Neck-thru and set-thru guitars generally have good upper fret access. A lot of people will tell you neck-thru guitars have better sustain than the others.

Iv'e got a neck-thru guitar, and it is very true, better fret access, and better sustain, but thats my opinion, not everyone elses

Justinschut

Set-thu's go a bit further into the body than Set neck's right ?

Mark K.

Set-thu's go a bit further into the body than Set neck's right ?

yeah they do....they'll go roughly to the middle of the body

Justinschut

Aight, thats what I thought.. just checkin' ;)

Kannon

There are some definite tone differences. I'll preface what I'll say with some clarification: I prefer set neck and neck through guitars. I've never owned a set-through joint guitar, however, so I won't comment on it.

Here follow some fucking broad-ass generalizations:

Bolt-ons: tend to have more treble and attack, a tight feel, and lots of 'springiness'. To me, that's what makes a strat sound like a strat more than single coil pickups alone (especially in a 25.5 scale). There's a lot of articulation, but some people think bolt ons can sound kind of thin. This really depends on the guitar, neck wood, etc. Bolt-ons can have excellent upper fret access (Take a look at Suhr Modern, for instance), provided the baseplate area of the body isn't an obscenely large block.

Set neck: warmer, more midrange, more 'pissed off' sounding, to my ears. More sustain to me than a bolt on and pretty tied with most neck throughs (I don't really buy the neck-through = more sustain serious biznezz). Chunkier sounding and a bit less articulated.

Neck through: Sometimes has more sustain than a set neck, usually better upper fret access (this depends though, on the design of a set neck vs. neck through heel and cutaways). Really present attack, usually pretty articulate, and a lot of focus on individual notes. When I think neck through, I think lead guitar. Downside is I feel a lot of NTs are kind of cold sounding. I don't really know why that is.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Kannon

Pus, does ESP even do set-through?

Cold Is The Void

As far as I know, they're the only company that does. I could be wrong, but I think set-thru is an ESP exclusive.

Pushead

LTD does. I'm sure ESP would do it, but I'm not sure if they have any production guitars that are.

slovakzombiehero

LTD does. I'm sure ESP would do it, but I'm not sure if they have any production guitars that are.

Standard-Series Vipers are set-through.

Creepingshredder

The Gus G star model is a set-thru

Kannon

I'm partway convinced set through is a gimmick. I can't really see any benefit to basically making a half assed neck through and essentially killing part of the resonating potential of the body by carving out a chunk of it. A long tenon joint with a sanded heel can suffice.

Amirite?

hermz

I don't get what you mean. Set-thru basically is just a long tenon neck with a carved heel.

Kannon

I don't get what you mean. Set-thru basically is just a long tenon neck with a carved heel.

I suppose that is essentially true of the shorter set thrus. There are some that go well past the neck pickup cavity. Like longer than a long tenon joint.

I've seen a few really dep ones is all. Makes me wonder how much of an improvement that couldrealistically be.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Pushead

Yeah, ESP has like 4 or 5 variations on bolt-on joints. I think Shinji posted them at one point, but I don't remember the thread.

guitarsatbmusic

Yeah, ESP has like 4 or 5 variations on bolt-on joints. I think Shinji posted them at one point, but I don't remember the thread.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/ordermade/body.html
Regular, slant, star cut, queen cut and KT cut

brandono61cr

ok i know this will sound noob but what does multi-piece necks actually do ?
say you have the choice between a 1 piece 3 piece and lets say a 9 piece neck which would be the best and why ? the 9 ?!?!

just askin because i saw the M had a 3 piece

MV-CTM

laminate necks prevent warping

Kannon

laminate necks prevent warping

This. Maple is somewhat prone to warping so usually a manufacturer will throw in a strip of another hardwood to stabilize the neck. Not always though. PRS uses quartersawn rock maple on their bolt ons and other maple-necked guitars.

Pushead

When you get into necks with more than 3 pieces, it's often done as decoration in through-neck guitars and basses.

Spoonylove

Schecter does it, ya fag.

sixstringmind

yeah......................ya fag

Spoonylove

Star cut :hat

Nagash

As I happen to do very often, I will disagree with GFunk. Bolt-ons are not everyone's cup of tea (GFunk likes to take his personal opinion as the universal truth). For example, I have quite small hands and short fingers. On a bolt-on with a big bulky heel (such as on many ESPs), I REALLY have trouble reaching the last frets, especially when I'm playing fast. My first guitar was a LTD M-50, been using it a damn lot and I'm still uncomfortable at the highest frets. My SV Standard has a thicker neck than the M-50, but it's neck-through and I have much less trouble reaching the last frets. Depends on your hands and habits, if you can, just try out the different constructions and see which one suits you best.

Post to Thread