KH-3 Current Value

Updated
Guitarmon8

Hi Folks - I have a KH-3 that I bought new back in 1997-1998 and am now looking to sell it. I have a local buyer in the NY/NJ area offering $800 for it but my buddy encouraged me to do some market research before committing to sell. The potential buyer seems really nice and I’d like to sell to him but don’t want to screw myself on the deal. So I’d really appreciate it if you guys would let me know whether you think $800 for the guitar is reasonable. I think I paid just under $2000 for it back then. Note that I had painted certain hardware and the plastic pickup ring silver. The silver paint have been removed since these pics were taken, but the paint ate into the pickup rings a little bit - so the surface is slightly uneven. The pots need cleaning. The front of the guitar body is almost perfect with the exception of a scratch around the tone knob. The back has plenty of buckle rashes, but not too bad. Your help is much appreciated. Rock on!

ESP 348

Looks gorgeous man!! Even in that condition, I think that's an easy US $1500 guitar mate.

They don't often come up for sale these days, so I think US $1500 is a fair price for it.

Best of luck with the sale mate.

Guitarmon8

Thanks for the response! I will see if the buyer is open to increasing the offer a bit. Not trying to make a profit on the sale but just want it to be fair. 

Dmc83

I may be interested

email me in private

Fordman65

IMO it's worth about $1k, maybe a bit more if you find the right buyer. Nice guitar. I had the NT version a number of years ago. 

ESP 348

For what it's worth, I sold my 100% mint 2006 bolt on KH3 for US $2200 around 2 years ago.

ESP 348

Here is a beautiful NTB KH3 from 2011.

For sale, asking US $4100.

It's a Signature Series guitar with the black nickel hardware.

https://reverb.com/item/9992943-esp-kh-3-custom-shop-kirk-hammett-metallica

Alamodome

Hey Pap, I know if anyone knows the answer to my questions it’s going to be you. 1. Why do some of the KH3 have more of a pointed horn than others, 2) As for the headstock some appear to be like an open book type of headstock?

ESP 348
Alamodome wrote:

Hey Pap, I know if anyone knows the answer to my questions it’s going to be you. 1. Why do some of the KH3 have more of a pointed horn than others, 2) As for the headstock some appear to be like an open book type of headstock?

Hi mate,

The early KH3s like Kirk's original guitar have the open book head stock and more rounded horn.

Later ones have the rounded head stock and sharper horn.

Obviously a change from ESP afterwards, I forget which year they did this. Although, the "correct" open book headstock with rounded horn KH3 can still be ordered from the ESP Custom Shop if you desire.

I had a 2006 bolt on KH3 with the rounded headstock and sharper horn. I purchased this new here in Australia.

I now own a 2003 Custom Shop that has the open book head stock and rounded horn. I purchased this in Australia (off Facebook) but it was a one owner guitar ordered new from ESP in Tokyo.

Fletch

I am currently looking to purchase that guitar or another on eBay and I would love your opinion.

The one on ebay is listed here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-KH-3-Electric-Guitar/143167806937

The individual wants $3,800, which seems high and it does not have the COA.

My questions are:

1) What would be fair values for both?

2) Given the fair value, which one would be the better choice to own?

In my mind, both have pro's and cons:

2011 NTB (Reverb):

* Pro: Its a NTB

* Pro: It has all the documents

* Pro: It's in near-mint condition

* Con: Not exactly like the original KH-3 (sharper horn, different headstock, nickel hardware)

Mid-90'2 Bolt-on (eBay)

* Pro: I had a mid-90's so a bit if a soft-spot

* Pro: Older-style (rounder horn, black HW)

* Pro: Less expensive (?)

* Con: No COA and I heard you can't get a reproduction from ESP

* Con: Bolt-on (but I don't mind so much)

Thoughts????

Fordman65

I should clarify my answer. I believe if selling in the US, and only shipping within the US, the value is in that $1K-$1,200 range. I am no longer familiar with international prices, so that will have an impact as they are likely higher. 

Post to Thread