Is this a Legit KH-2 Vintage?

Updated
Is this a Legit KH-2 Vintage?

Just doing a search on youtube for ESP guitars and came across a curious looking KH-2 vintage. It has a headstock signature of Kirks that is the same as my custom shop KH-2 ntb. In fact, the serial on this guitar is 1 digit after my guitar. Has anyone seen a KH-2 Vintage with a Kirk Signature on the headstock?  

My KH-2 NTB Serial 01120164.

Possible KH-2 vintage serial 01120165

I'm wondering if this is really a KH-2 NTB and not a KH-2 Vintage, although the distressed look, looks legit?

Guitar in question:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kOePFE74NM

Guiguitarz

2001 is quite a turning year for these models RELIC/Vintage.

Maybe they went for a classic signature on the headstock and went back to "KIRK HAMMETT" sticker as the Relic series. Just guessing. 

Looks authentic. EDIT : I didn't see the sticker on the top. Clearly a Standard KH-2 NTB with stickers from eBay and later aging by someone else. Not from custom shop.

Pushead

Yes, just a standard series NTB KH-2. A nice guitar, but not a Relic.

ESP 348

Crazy how your serial number is one apart.

dubster82

Could it be a custom order that predates the Relic? (by a very small margin)

Sephiroth

Maybe. I'd like to check with ESP but they don't seem to answer anything I ask anymore.

ESP 348
Sephiroth wrote:

Maybe. I'd like to check with ESP but they don't seem to answer anything I ask anymore.

Stop asking ESP all the hard questions.

Lukie Luke
Sephiroth wrote:

Hey man, this is my old Guitar, it’s was a custom shop ntb Kh2 that was reliced by a luthier in Bucharest!

dubster82
Lukie Luke wrote:

Hey man, this is my old Guitar, it’s was a custom shop ntb Kh2 that was reliced by a luthier in Bucharest!

Did you have it long?

Lukie Luke
dubster82 wrote:

Did you have it long?

Unfortunately not man, I purchased it of the luthier “Antonio guitars” in March of this year and sold it on 3 weeks ago, it was a beautiful guitar, circumstances forced the sale though!

Guiguitarz

I remember this axe from Antonio. He had a nice Gibson Iron Cross at that time. And a Hetfield Electra V ! Nice guy.

dubster82
Lukie Luke wrote:

Did you have it long?

Unfortunately not man, I purchased it of the luthier “Antonio guitars” in March of this year and sold it on 3 weeks ago, it was a beautiful guitar, circumstances forced the sale though!

Thought so, I saw the original for sale ad from him but it doesn't say on it that he reliced it. Did he tell you that?

Lukie Luke

He did yes!

The quality of the relic work is great, it was a beauty to play also! 

Hope this helps anyone interested in purchasing  

ESP 348

The mystery is solved.

Sephiroth

I've still raised the issue with Jeff Moore on the facebook page as the current seller is claiming in the comments of his youtube video that he has seen relics/vintages with the KH signature on the headstock. At least we know this guitar started off as a KH-2 NTB and is not a KH-2 vintage. I also contaced Antonio who confirmed he did the distressed finish. Thank you Luke for your input as well. I wouldn't want someone to buy it thinking they have bought a KH-2 vintage when that isn't the case.

ESP 348

Good on you mate, I have never seen a Relic/Vintage with the KH sig on the headstock either.

dubster82

The guy has pulled the advert from reverb, had to have a chuckle at the screen it leaves

To be fair, the Antonio lad also had it advertised as a 'vintage' with no mention of him doing the work

https://reverb.com/item/10521638-esp-esp-kh-2-vintage-kirk-hammett-2001-black

Sephiroth

perfect 2 listings to describe what's happened.

Advert is back up as far as I can see with only the work "relic" missing.

I think it's wrong that the listing is allowed to stand as it is misrepresenting what the guitar really is. The description says the distressed look was done in the ESP Japan custom shop, model is listed as KH-2 vintage, all throughout the listing it says KH-2 vintage. Not a single mention of it really being a KH-2 NTB to being with.

Luke, was the Essex seller aware when he bought it from you that it was not a genuine KH-2 vintage, but really a KH-2 NTB with the distressed look applied afterwards? Looks worse for him if he knows that and still listed it up misrepresenting it.

Lukie Luke
Sephiroth wrote:

I think it's wrong that the listing is allowed to stand as it is misrepresenting what the guitar really is. The description says the distressed look was done in the ESP Japan custom shop, model is listed as KH-2 vintage, all throughout the listing it says KH-2 vintage. Not a single mention of it really being a KH-2 NTB to being with.

Luke, was the Essex seller aware when he bought it from you that it was not a genuine KH-2 vintage, but really a KH-2 NTB with the distressed look applied afterwards? Looks worse for him if he knows that and still listed it up misrepresenting it.

He did indeed man! 

I specified on my ad that it wasn’t a vintage; only reliced to look like one by Antonio! 

Glad I could be of some assistance to you guys  

dubster82
Sephiroth wrote:

Nah, it still says relic in the title, but you could put it down to ignorance. He's seen other ads with "vintage" and "relic" and he probably thinks they're adjectives as displayed here.

https://reverb.com/item/13592969-esp-kh-2-custom-shop-kirk-hammett-metallica-vintage-relic-road-worn-black-kh2-guitar

It has been explained to him now though whst these terms mean when referring to KH2's and he knows this thread exists, so it's a bit of a shame he hasn't changed anything. He seems a nice guy but his ads seem a bit disingenuous, taking like a 3 knob Eclipse or one with a Floyd Rose and putting "James Hetfield" in the title. I'm sure he's harmlessly trying to get more clicks but it's either to fool someone that doesn't know better or it's because he doesn't know better and neither fill me with confidence to buy from him.

I still think Antonio's ad was misleading too.

Sephiroth

"It has been explained to him now though whst these terms mean when referring to KH2's and he knows this thread exists, so it's a bit of a shame he hasn't changed anything. He seems a nice guy but his ads seem a bit disingenuous, taking like a 3 knob Eclipse or one with a Floyd Rose and putting "James Hetfield" in the title. I'm sure he's harmlessly trying to get more clicks but it's either to fool someone that doesn't know better or it's because he doesn't know better and neither fill me with confidence to buy from him.

I still think Antonio's ad was misleading too."

Oh I agree, Antonio's original ad is also misleading. However, Luke had since put up an advert, saying it was not a real vintage, yet Keith produces a youtube video and an advert where he's misrepresenting it as a KH-2 Vintage, despite the fact the advert he bought if from says that was not the case. That's dishonest, and wouldn't want the next buyer to fall for that.

dubster82
Sephiroth wrote:

"It has been explained to him now though whst these terms mean when referring to KH2's and he knows this thread exists, so it's a bit of a shame he hasn't changed anything. He seems a nice guy but his ads seem a bit disingenuous, taking like a 3 knob Eclipse or one with a Floyd Rose and putting "James Hetfield" in the title. I'm sure he's harmlessly trying to get more clicks but it's either to fool someone that doesn't know better or it's because he doesn't know better and neither fill me with confidence to buy from him.

I still think Antonio's ad was misleading too."

Oh I agree, Antonio's original ad is also misleading. However, Luke had since put up an advert, saying it was not a real vintage, yet Keith produces a youtube video and an advert where he's misrepresenting it as a KH-2 Vintage, despite the fact the advert he bought if from says that was not the case. That's dishonest, and wouldn't want the next buyer to fall for that.

Completely agree.

Sephiroth
Lukie Luke wrote:

He did indeed man! 

I specified on my ad that it wasn’t a vintage; only reliced to look like one by Antonio! 

Hey Luke, do you have a link to your old reverb advert?

Lukie Luke
Sephiroth wrote:

He did indeed man! 

Hey Luke, do you have a link to your old reverb advert?

Hey man, apologies for the long delay, only seeing this now! 

Here's the link to my original ad on reverb!

Esp Kh2 Custom Shop NTB 2001 Black (reliced) https://reverb.com/item/15156400-esp-kh2-custom-shop-ntb-2001-black-reliced?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=share

Post to Thread