LTD Snakebyte owners: Black Satin vs Snow White?

Updated
LTD Snakebyte owners: Black Satin vs Snow White?

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a while, and am considering getting an LTD Snakebyte. My dilemma: choosing a finish option ><

• Snow White: I've read reports of the White fading to a yellowish "cream" color. The yellowing itself isn't a deal breaker, but it sounds like the headstock stays "white", making the difference stand out. Is this still an issue on newer models?
  • Black Satin: Other than being a fingerprint magnet, does the "satin" start becoming "glossy" over time around areas that contact the skin? Volume / Tone controls, bridge, forearm, etc? If so, is that easy so clean? I'm no clean freak, but I want to avoid that "grease stain" look on the satin finish if that makes sense.

Any other input from Snakebyte owners? Suggestions?

Thanks!

dubster82

my mates one yellowed a bit, noticeable beside my iron cross (which I think has started to yellow too). I never noticed if the headstock was whiter though, might have to look next time I see it.

Personally think Gloss is the way to go with black, not biased like... 

Paincakes

Gloss black would be my preference too, but the new ones are satin only right? I'll keep my eyes open for used ones I suppose!

dubster82

yeah, unless there's one sitting around unsold, it'd have to be used.

dubster82

Here's a pic of the aforementioned guitars together but it's possible that the Snakebytes started off life just not as white?

RickyB

I have a satin black snakebyte. Beautiful guitar but I feel like it smudges a little because of finger oils and all. If you don't mind that (like me) then get it

Pushead

The satin will eventually get glossy parts. It's an unfortunate part of the satin finish. How much and how soon depend on how much you play and how sweaty/oily you are. It's just like strings. I know people that could play a guitar for 2 years and have clean strings. I also know people that could play a guitar for a week and have super rusted strings.

dubster82

Thing is, with gloss its easy to clean and buff back up to like as new. With Satin it's harder although there are more satin specific cleaning options available from satin finishes becoming more popular in the auto industry that may make keeping a satin instrument looking good longer.

Pushead

Eh, I have a different satin finish guitar that a previous owner "cleaned" and now the whole thing just looks shiny.

dubster82

Tried cleaning it with a magic eraser? Or a degreaser?

Pushead

I don't care enough to bother. I think it looks fine, but not like a typical "new" satin.

dubster82
Pushead wrote:

I don't care enough to bother. I think it looks fine, but not like a typical "new" satin.

I actually like it.

HateEvent

A slightly damp (water) cloth will clean an ESP satin finish, without making it glossy.

Actual contact wear from playing them will incite a gloss occurring - you're pretty screwed when that happens. Adds 'character' though, shall we say... 

ESPBear

Does anyone know why ESP discontinued making the gloss black and switched to Satin? 

Tondog

Sales figures?

Dominic D.

My esp snakebyte is yellowing now, I like it but gloss black is better looking I think 

Tondog

Never understood the rationale behind those. Mahogany is a utility wood and not one to leave natural. The grain is boring.

ESP 348

Lol, ok. I have never heard anyone describe it that way before.

Emre

Both seem ok to me but, I'd go with black glossy one (if you don't mind fingerprints) rather than choose the white one. The thing is if you inspect James's old white guitars, the white turned yellowish color. It must mostly depend on the finish type I think. 

Post to Thread