ESP M-II NTB to KH-2 Ouija conversion?

Updated
ESP M-II NTB to KH-2 Ouija conversion?

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a used M-II NTB and convert it into a black KH-2 Ouija, as this was always my dream guitar but too expensive. Woods and dimensions are all the same, except for the neck contour that on the KH-2 is "extra thin U" and on the M-II is "thin U" but I guess it will be already thin enough : )

From what I researched, I would need:

- Black M-II NTB without the neck and headstock bindings (here). Can find used for about $1k

- Drill new holes for additional Vol, Tone and 3 way switch (is the electronics cavity the same size of the KH-2? Looks like it is)

- Remove the rosewood fingerboard and build a new one with the moon/stars inlays (probably the trickiest part)

- Repaint it with the Ouija graphics. I heard that the old Ouija's had a glow in the dark graphics paint, and the new 09' ones are just white. Is this true?

I would obviously need a very good luthier and painter to do the job and I already have it. Am I missing something? Do you guys think it is possible?

ESP 348

Hi mate,

Anything is possible, of course.

But I wouldn't undertake such a project. You will find it will end up costing you not much less than actually purchasing a real original Ouija.

An original Ouija recently sold here in Australia for AU $5000 which is approx US $3700. That was in mint condition and it went to a new owner over in the UK.

The original Ouijas didn't have glow in the dark paint. They reckon they did, but I reckon only Kirk's original two guitars glowed in the dark.

They were all painted white, but the white paint slowly but surely turns yellowish over time. Some turned yellowish quicker than others, depending on sun/UV exposure.

For the sake of a few bucks, look for an original Ouija mate. You will then have the real deal and won't have to worry about having to find a good luthier and airbrush artist.

Wish you all the best with whichever way you want to go about it.

Guijs

Hello,

Thanks for the info. You are right, if there is a Ouija for less than USD 4k maybe it is a good deal, but I never saw any neck-thru Ouija for less than $7k. Besides that, I would have to pay 60% of customs taxes when it get to my country. Anyway, I'll do the math to know if it will worth the job. 

ESP 348
Guijs wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the info. You are right, if there is a Ouija for less than USD 4k maybe it is a good deal, but I never saw any neck-thru Ouija for less than $7k. Besides that, I would have to pay 60% of customs taxes when it get to my country. Anyway, I'll do the math to know if it will worth the job. 

Sorry mate, I must have missed the part where you wanted one of the 2009 re-issue Ouijas which is why you wanted the NTB guitar.

You are right, you won't find one of those around US $4000 anytime soon.

If you have to pay 60% tax on top, then you are definitely better off having a crack at having one made lol.

Which country do you live in? I want to know so I don't ever move there to live. lol

Pushead

If you lived in the US, I'd offer you my moon and star KH-2. It had the graphic painted on it, which is a bit oversized, and it's bolt-on, but it's less work than what you're looking to do.

MissingLink

I live in the US.... lol what are you thinking of selling?

Pushead
MissingLink wrote:

I live in the US.... lol what are you thinking of selling?

I could be convinced to part with my KH-2 Moon and Star that had the ouija graphic painted on it. The graphic is oversized compared to the ESP version.

MissingLink

How much convincing would it take?

guitarsatbmusic

It isn’t the white paint that’s yellowed, but the clear coat, and the white areas would illustrate this and not the black

BlackJack21

Just curious if it's the clear coat, do you know why binding fades to yellow over time?

guitarsatbmusic
BlackJack21 wrote:

Just curious if it's the clear coat, do you know why binding fades to yellow over time?

The plastic itself is either yellowing or there is a clear coat over the binding, depending on how the manufacturer finishes the guitar

ESP 348

Ah, ok. There you go, I always thought it was the white that yellowed over time not the clear coat. You learn something new everyday.

Pushead

This is kind of an extreme example of it (on a Gibson) but my "yellow" Les Paul is as white as the day it was made. You can see in sections where the clear has been worn through.

Post to Thread