Strange KH2 version

Updated
Strange KH2 version

hi guys,

I'm a huge Metallica fan and follow all posts regarding Kirk's equipment. Now, this morning I saw a strange picture on Instagram which really messed me up.. probably just one of his 100 kh2's but its messing with my head.

See the lower inlay on the 14th fret. I have never seen it before. Does anyone know some background here?

2nd, I am really interested in the mod that Kirk appereantly has done on his Caution where his frets are scalloped. 

I attend the show in Amsterdam and could see Kirk's equipment closely (nit the caution). I didn't noticed any scalloped necks on his guitars he used there. Unfortunatelly Justin was too busy answering my questions there. 

Please be gentle since it's my first post..

ESP 348

Hello and welcome.

VERY interesting pic man lol

Definitely looks like someone fucked that up lol. Possibly just left it, they took some pics and he never played that guitar on stage anywhere.

It does look shiney and brand new in that picture.

In regards to this scalloped Caution guitar.

I am led to believe he has a few of these on the go also and I have definitely seen one of them with scalloped frets.

I have also seen a satin one which I had never seen before that he played on the Jimmy Kimmel show earlier this year.

Thanks for the pic, I have never seen it before.

Pushead

I'd lean more toward a graphic designer "fixing" a weird reflection off the frets in the dark ages before Photoshop. Notice the weird ghosting around the 4th fret and 15the frets as well.

Guiguitarz

Ahaha we were answering at the same moment Pus !  And I wanted to credit you for the ability to resize posted pictures then 

Guiguitarz

Look at the 4th fret, someone has done like a "Liquify" effect to the neck or something ... Same for 8th fret.

Gautamabuddha78

Thanx guy's. Indeed. Looking at the bigger sized picture it indeed looks more like a bad photoshop job. I only had the one from Instagram which was small sized. 

Too bad that this mystery seems to be solved. I would have loved the fact that this guitar was still somewhere around...

ESP 348

Cheers Pus, definitely easier to see it now the picture has been made bigger.

Yep, looks like an early 90's photoshop attempt. lol

Big Daddy B

Whatever is going on, Kirk doesn't look very happy about it in the pic. 

Guiguitarz

ESP 348

Lol, that was the era for it Big Daddy!! They were all angry young men back in the 80's metal days.

ESP 348

Here is another interesting KH2 listed for sale in Canada on Ebay.

It clearly says on the COA that it's an April 2015 build ESP KH2.

It has a bolt on neck, ashtray battery holder, new/current ESP Sig series logo but it has the old K-24376 serial number.

Any thoughts? Can one ask for the old serial number format on a regular Sig series guitar?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ESP-KH-2-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-Black-Electric-Guitar-w-Case-K-24376-/322719018090?epid=1700558497&hash=item4b238d6c6a:g:lTgAAOSwRplZsAC5

Pims

according to guitarscollector, the serial number isn't too far apart from the 2013 serials. Nothing surprising the "4" makes it newer than those 23, 22 and 21 ones. I think custom shops start with the year in the serial (my custom has k13xxxx) ans was crafted in 2013.

ESP 348

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I will post here for some discussion.

I just found a brand new KH2 NTB for sale on Ebay.

For sale in Japan, lists it as brand new. Has the new serial number of course.

Take a look at the fretboard, does that look like PF? Or do you think it's Rosewood?

When you read the specs, the seller doesn't specify what the fretboard is.

I think it's PF, but I am just wondering what everything else thinks just by looking at the pictures.

Cheers

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ESP-Electric-Guitar-KH-2-NECK-THRU-NEW-2/253559245084?hash=item3b094f091c:g:8IUAAOSwyupa0LYH:rk:44:pf:0

ESP 348

Yeahhhhhhhh, ok. I went back and looked at pics of your Demonology and I think you are right.

Might even have been from the same cut.

Were ESP only going to start using PF on all their guitars from now on? Especially Sig Series like this one?

Pims

It's still Rosewood though, my demonology has the same kind of "waves" in the wood

ESP 348

No worries, cheers boys.

Does your Demonology have Rosewood or PF fretboard man?

I know Big Daddy has Rosewood on his Demonology.

Pims

my Demonology has a Rosewood neck

" an extra-thin U-shaped three-piece maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard inlaid with Kirk's skull-and-crossbones motif, along with 24 extra-jumbo frets (scalloped from 17-24). "

Post to Thread