• Big Daddy B

Metallica live in Edmonton

Going to be streamed live tomorrow.

www.webcast.livemetallica.com 

7:45PDT

• Sephiroth

I saw they posted that up on facebook a short time ago. Hopefully the youtube video stays up as thats in the middle of the night for me.

Good of them to broadcast it though.

• Pushead

I'm going to be at a GNR concert at that time.

• Breadfan32

It will be on YouTube the day after.  

• Big Daddy B

it's starting on both Youtube and the metallica website now. looks like slight delay on the met site.

• Big Daddy B

Did anyone watch the show? I thought it was pretty good. Exceeded my expectations, but they were kinda low. I thought Kirk's playing was good most of the night (especially on Halo on Fire) despite some volume issues with his clean tones early on. He used his typical 5 guitar rotation he's been using on this tour: Mummy, Zombie, Purple Sparkle, Greenie, Rhoads. IIRC, James used: white Iron Cross, black Truckster, KL Explorer, Gibson Korina? Explorer, Gibson white V, camo Snakebyte, white Snakebyte. Jame's playing was solid and overall their rigs I thought sounded good but not like Metallica of old.

My only complaint with the show is it seemed a little overly choreographed. I mean the giant drums thing was OK but it's been done many times before. I remember seeing David Lee Roth and his band playing steel drums on the Skyscraper tour back in 1988. And James' dialogue is getting pretty stale. One thing I did like was the use of the video screens that they could use it to encapsulate a song within a specific era of Metallica using different logos or video clips on the backdrop. I thought that was done tastefully and effectively. I thought the live videography was very good. One additional disappointment I had was even though this was the last night of the North American Tour they didn't really do anything special like an extra encore or bringing the crew/opening act(s) out on the stage like they have in years past.

All in all I was glad I spent a couple hours to watch. I think this is the first complete Metallica concert I had watched in it's entirety since 1997. It was cool but I am glad I saw them a bunch of times in the 90s when they had more edge and were more unpredictable. Wish I could have seen them in the 80s with Cliff.

• Pushead

That's the problem with stadium tours or really any "big name" concert tour. When you start charging that much for tickets, you need to make sure that the audience is getting their money's worth. Even the "A Night With Metallica" tour (91-93) was super scripted. So was "Damaged Justice."  Though arena tours seem to be able to adapt setlists better than stadium shows. Look at how much production there is for the show; lights, pyro, all the live video and produced segments... There's no room to be "unpredictable."  Heck, there's no room for a band member to be sick. The audience doesn't care if you have a cold, or if your dog died that day, they want to see $100+ worth of The Metallicas.

Even if they wanted to play a rarity like Eye of the Beholder in the show, they'd never be able to get all of the pieces together to put on a "worthy" performance together.  I'm sure the band could do it, but then you need the lights and video elements, etc. 

I saw GNR last night, and they played the same setlist they've played for the last two years. A few songs swap in and out, but everyone knows where they need to be at every moment of the set. They played for over 3 hours. Axl can't quite hang, vocally anymore, but the rest of the band was able to cover during his breaks and rest periods. The rest of the band had some fantastic instrumental sections throughout the performance, but it was all the same jams/covers/whatnot that they've done 60+ times over the last year.

I would give much to go back to see 89 era Metallica and GNR. Alas, Cap'n Pus was born a bit too late to be an appropriate age to be at shows then.

I will say that Het's voice has held up way better than Axl over the years. But no one besides late 80's Axl can sing like album version Axl.

• Big Daddy B
      Pushead wrote:

I would give much to go back to see 89 era Metallica and GNR. Alas, Cap'n Pus was born a bit too late to be an appropriate age to be at shows then.

Yeah that's the problem here too. I didn't start going to concerts until the late 80s. I would never have been able to see Cliff live at age 11 hahaha.

I get what you are saying about the scripting as far as the pyro and stunts on past tours. Maybe it was because they were before the internet blew up, we really didn't go into the show knowing what to expect like we do now. Like on the Load tour so many people thought the lighting accident was real. The shows just seemed more edgy. I think maybe coreographed was the wrong word but I was trying to avoid saying cliched. Now they seem like a typical show from a mature aging super rock band (except they play as much new stuff than old), which is fine. I don' t expect otherwise. I do give them credit for mixing up the setlist as much as they do as there are certain songs the paying general public will demand to hear no matter how many times they play it. It really great they are able to do a full show without playing nothing but Sandman, NEM, Bells, Creeping Death, MOP, Fade to Black, Sad but True, Seek, One, etc. To even be able to sneak a few (2-3) oldies, b sides, deep cuts into the setlist is awesome. I just miss the old days and glad I was able to see them at that point in their career. 

I never saw GNR live but I am sure they put on a hell of a show back in the day. I guess the way we feel know about Metallica and GNR now is how the previous generation felt about Aerosmith, Van Halen, Zepplin, Sabbath in the "old days" vs the 80's, 90's and beyond. They always remember when they were young and had more energy or get on stage and play wasted and now that they are older it's still good but just not what we are used to. However, the fact Metallica can still physically perform the show they do at their age is really a good thing.

• Pushead

Yeah, I consider myself lucky to at least be able to afford to see most of those bands during their "paying the mortgage on our third mansion tours."

But as much as I love some current era bands and am glad I've gotten to see them in their prime, I feel I need to see some of my early inspiration bands while I can.

It's funny you mention the Load destruct-o-set. I was on a Metallica themed e-mail list back then. The list was big enough to have a report from people at the first show of the tour (Paris I believe) talking about how there was a "terrible accident." From there, the second and third shows described the same thing, and so when it hit Clevo (a lot of months later) I already knew what to expect.

• Big Daddy B

Oh yeah I remember knowing about it in advance too because of the Metallica group on AOL I think. Who else from the last millenium have you seen?

For me it is:

Van Hagar

David Lee Roth solo

Kiss with makeup

Black Sabbath reunion tour

Pantera

Danzig

Alice in Chains with Layne

Tool

Corrosion of Conformity

NIN

Soundgarden

Joe Satriani

Korn

Janes Addiction

Social Distortion

The Ramones

David Bowie

Devo

Ministry

Gravity Kills

Tesla

Faster Pussycat

probably some others I am forgetting

• Sephiroth

About to watch it now.

Just seen a link to another one from this month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcuxNAiPOOA

• ESP 348

I just watched the show last night myself. A lot of cool songs played. Halo was awesome, I really enjoyed that and Atlas, Moth etc. The old classics are awesome too.

I REALLY enjoyed the little Kirk/Rob jam at around 1 hr and 13 mins in.

Kirks guitar was soooooooooooooooo heavy and raspy during that little I Disappear medley.

Overall, I really loved this concert. Still my favourite band of all time and I can't wait till they hit Australia, hopefully next year sometime.

Here is the Edmonton show-

• Big Daddy B
      ESP 348 wrote:

I just watched the show last night myself. A lot of cool songs played. Halo was awesome, I really enjoyed that and Atlas, Moth etc. The old classics are awesome too.

I REALLY enjoyed the little Kirk/Rob jam at around 1 hr and 13 mins in.

Kirks guitar was soooooooooooooooo heavy and raspy during that little I Disappear medley.

Overall, I really loved this concert. Still my favourite band of all time and I can't wait till they hit Australia, hopefully next year sometime.

Here is the Edmonton show-

I would agree Halo was the highlight for me followed by the jam which also included Le Freak! Yes I was alive when that came out, barely.

• ESP 348

Lol, very good!! Glad to hear we both enjoyed it man.

• Pushead

There's no way I'd be able to remember all of the acts I've seen over the years to type here, but I've seen the Aerosmiths, Van Hagars, Van Lee Roths, Posion(lol), Vanilla Ice(lol), Run DMC, U2, Rolling Stones, Megadeth (90s), Slayer, Anthrax, Kiss (farewell), Sabbath, Ozzy, Testament, GNR (Axl and friends) GNR (not in this lifetime), Kid Rock, Godsmack, Deftones, Lamb of God....

Lots of shows.

• Breadfan32

I would be better off listing the bands I haven't seen.  

I love concerts.  I always try to get the best seats or spot when I go.  

I'm really hoping Metallica does an arena tour after the current scheduled dates.  

Cancel