Rosewood fingerboard on a ESP Alexi?

Updated
B.C

Hi guys I recently got an ESP Custom Shop Alexi Katakana from Big Boss in Kyoto. For some reason the fingerboard seems to be made of rosewood rather than ebony. It's a legitimate dealer and the guitar itself seems real, serial number is K1332407, but I don't recall any of Alexi's models having anything other than a ebony fingerboard. Granted I'm not too sure myself since the wood itself is quite dark, but it's not as dark as my Edwards with ebony fingerboard and certainly feels more warm and plays more like rosewood. Did any of the Alexi custom shops come with rosewood fingerboards? Or am I actually looking at an ebony board? Btw I'm sorry I haven't gotten around to taking some closeups of the board yet but you can see from some of the photos that it does look brown. Thanks!

BlackJack21

First of all, congrats on the guitar, and cool to see you got the Katakana model. All the custom shop Alexi's are ebony, and the first pic you posted when zoomed in looked like ebony to me, even though the color is a bit lighter than normal.

Pushead

The fretboard looks far too smooth and even. I'd suspect it's ebony and it's just the lighting that makes it look brown.

B.C

Thanks for the replies! Perhaps I was being a bit paranoid haha. After cleaning the fingerboard with lemon oil it did darken up quite a bit. This is my first real ESP, and from the looks of it it probably won't be my last!

ESP 348

What an amazing guitar man!! Congrats and enjoy.

neo8824

Nice one! I always thought Katakana was just a Standard Series model...

Post to Thread