Customizing KH-2?

Updated
MissingLink

picked up a 1998 KH-2 today.  It's in pretty rough shape cosmetically.   Thinking it'd be a perfect donor to refinish as one of Kirks other guitars whether it be one of the monsters or the new purple sparkle,  maybe just even respray it black.  Close friend is a custom automotive painter.  Every guitar factory tour video I've ever watched it seems they're laying down automotive grade paint.  Will this work?  Is there a chance I'll disassemble this thing and never get it back to straight ever again?  Anyone ever tried this? 

Pushead

Absolutely. Automotive paint is pretty typical for a finish on the guitar.

Taking a guitar apart and putting it back together again isn't rocket science. It's pretty straight forward. There's tons of resources on the net for setting up a guitar, but if you get stuck at any point, guitar techs or luthiers will be able to do it fairly quickly.

MissingLink

Awesome!   Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.  Makes me feel better about moving forward with this!

new question,  how do I get the ESP logo and KH signature back on the headstock?   People usually put stickers on and clear over them?

Pushead

That's the harder part. I was unsuccessful in getting ESP to send me a replacement logo when I had a guitar refinished. I know some people source logos from ebay, though I haven't found any good replicas. The guy who painted mine, painted the logo on as well.

Guiguitarz

No problem with Custom painting on KH-2s   (and M-IIs ...)

MissingLink

Whos your painter??

Guiguitarz

Ahah that's a good question  a friend, a good one, in France.

ESP 348

Great to hear! Looking forward to seeing pics of which way you decide to go with this KH2.

I know of a guy here in Australia that refinishes guitars. Airbrush or basic resprays to full colour changes. He does it all and does it well too.

He also uses automotive paint and I asked him how he does the ESP logo on his guitars. He said the quickest way is a sticker and then he clears over it. Or pay him a little extra and he will airbrush it on for you.

I have seen pics of both, both look great and hard to tell which is which.

ESP 348

P.S- Love your Monster guitars G!

Post to Thread