• Big Daddy B

Here's some gratuitous footage of the original KH-3 in action on the last night of the Shit Hits the Sheds tour in 1994. Rob Halford is on fire on vocals!! Man it's gonna suck when these older guys are gone...

• ESP 348

Gunna be a shame when Metallica hangs up their guitars. :(

• Big Daddy B

Tried my own take on it. Pretty good but a few kinks need to be worked out. Got off beat on the first part of the solo and need to lock down the 3rd part (KK Downing).

• ESP 348

Sounds great man, thanks for sharing.

• dubster82

This

Is

Amazing.

Have I missed it, what's the full specs?

• Big Daddy B
      dubster82 wrote:

This

Is

Amazing.

Have I missed it, what's the full specs?

It's a neck thru KH-3 with modern appointments like the ashtray. It has the proper headstock and cutaway however I feel the modern "open book" melody maker headstock is not exactly like Kirk's original. IIRC the top on that one seems a lot flatter. The artwork was airbrushed by ESP. When I was ordering the gutiar, Blackjack21 tipped me off the color of the decal they use is not  accurate to kirk's. When I inquired with ESP they discovered that is because kirk's original was outsourced to a 3rd aprty artist for painting so they had never actually painted one before. It was expensive but I really like how well it turned out. I had the devil sticker on the guitar for a while but removed it. I like the look but didn;t want the sticker affecting the paint long term, even it if was the black fading around it.

I think those are the highlights. I will come back and add more info if I remember anything interesting I forgot.

• dubster82

Cool, I got all that from the pics though 

I was more looking for mention of scale length and confirmation on fretboard material 

• Big Daddy B

Guitar is 24.75" scale length. The consensus is that is what Kirk's was but would have been my preference anyway. Along the way the spec started getting advertised as 25.5" I don't know if any builds were actually 25.5" or if that was just a discrepancy in the advertised spec. This guitar was originally ordered with rosewood. Along the way though thanks to some pics that were posted by other members and further research from ESP is that Kirk's was originally delivered with ebony.

• dubster82

Cool, so you managed to change your order to ebony in time? Or you didn't and it's real dark rosewood?

That's interesting on the scale length. I'd read years ago Kirk's were 25.5 ntb and all the production guitars were 24.75 set neck

I have seen one on eBay that was advertised as a custom order ntb 25.5

• Big Daddy B

Noticed something today on my KH-3. The side dots glow in the dark. Anyone else aware of any glow in the dark connection with the KH-3?

• ESP 348
      Big Daddy B wrote:

Noticed something today on my KH-3. The side dots glow in the dark. Anyone else aware of any glow in the dark connection with the KH-3?

Shit, fair dinkum???

Any pics?

• HateEvent
      Big Daddy B wrote:

Awesome! I presume you didn't spec that then 

Was your order sheet 'as per Kirk's original'? Or have they just mysteriously done this for you?

• Big Daddy B

Must be luminlays. Will try to take some pics. It's pretty badass. And yeah I didn't specifically ask for it so either kirk had it or it was a pleasant surprise from the custom shop.

• BlackJack21

Cool, you should check your natural ouija as well.

• Big Daddy B
      BlackJack21 wrote:

Cool, you should check your natural ouija as well.

I did but no glowage. I just picked up a Luminlay key chain charging LED flashlight for $10.

Cancel