KH-202: EMG Upgrade Question

Updated
KH-202: EMG Upgrade Question

I'm considering eventually picking up a set of used EMG's to drop into my KH-202 - I've done plenty of pickup installs, but never an active set.

As easy at it would be to use the solderless system, I'd rather use the existing wiring harness and not spend an additional $50 and add all the extra stuff into the electronics cavity so that I could have room for the battery.

Would it be as simple as soldering the other ends of the quick connect wire to the existing contacts just like a standard pickup (white wire to selector and bare wire to ground, red to battery?) Are there any other surprises to anticipate in switching over?

Also, will it require a different output jack?

Thanks in advance...

Pushead

Unfortunately, it's not quite that simple.  The pots and jack need to be replaced for the active system.  I'm not particularly a fan of the solderless system, but it seems that it's the only publically availabe setup they sell.  You can find 10k Ohm pots, remove the "quick connect" from the included wiring and solder the ends to the pot that way.  It'll also allow you to use the switch that's currently in the guitar.

You'll also need to solder the red wires (power) together and to a balanced/stereo jack which, when the jack is inserted, completes a circuit and powers the pickups.

There's plenty of room in the cavity to fit all of the "stuff" and the battery as well, no worries there.

If you want to go the soldered route:

10k Ohm Pots

1/4" stereo/balanced jack

ToneRanger

Darn - so the stock pots won't work at all with EMG's? I figured the jack would have to change, but I didn't realize the pots would be a problem.

After posting I found an old style EMG wiring schematic with soldered connections, but it didn't call out the pot values...

http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/2%20EMG%202v%201t%203wb.pdf

Pushead

Pot values are 10k Ohm.  They need far less resistance than passives (which are likely 500k Ohm in your KH-202.)

ToneRanger

So there's enough room for the battery even with the solderless kit? I read some folks saying it was a tight fit, but that may have been guitars other than the KH.

There's no shortage of used sets out there, so if I can score a deal good enough maybe I will splurge for the solderless - soldered stills seems more economical though. I don't want to drop too much in since I got the guitar used for a song (came upgraded with an EVH Floyd for only $169!)

ProfessorExp

The solderless system fits in the KH-202 fine. Here's a pic of mine. However, make sure you get the 3-position strat solderless switch. This will replace the bus that everything plugs into. You probably wouldn't have enough space for the standalone bus that comes with the solderless kit to be wired to the stock switch. 

Nick  L.

Any chance you can take a pic of your install?

I bought the upgrade wiring conversion kit and the 3 way strat style switch.

I was really confused until I saw you mentioned the switch eliminated the use of the bus.

Thanks 

ToneRanger

I ended making the solderless kit fit with the stock switch - I did have to do a some creative wire tucking, but it's all in.

Man, the difference vs the stock p'ups is night and day. It's actually my first foray using active p'ups - compared to passives its like having a compressor and noise gate on at the same time.

Road King

EMG offers an external power unit so you don't need to have batteries in your guitar anymore. 18V that pig.

Post to Thread