KH-2 Vintage too hot/trebly??

Updated
KH-2 Vintage too hot/trebly??

Hi guys!

I was just trying the KH-20 and I noticed that, swapping to the KH-2 Vintage, the KH-2 sounded very trebly/hot compared to the KH-20.

Then, I tried the KH-2 Ouija and sounded way similar to the KH-20, more fat/powerful...swapped again to the KH-2 Vintage and sounded too much trebly compared to the other two.

Of course, you can adjusat EQ in the amp/Axe/Kemper, but I found strange that, same wood, same pickuos, the KH-2 Vintage sounds more trbly and like with more "gain", more hot....do you guys have noticed something similar comparing the Vintage to other KH???

SteelEdge

Yep, sound different definitely...which is not a bad thing at all.

My obssesion was to know if there was something "wrong" that made it sound different, maybe a different cap in the tone pot or whatever...but definitely they have different character.

Indeed, the KH-2 Vintage sounds better with fat amps like Soldano, while the Ouija seems to interact better with Marshall oriented amps....always to my taste, of course.

Pushead

For the first year or so I had my Ouija (well, a KH-2 with Moon and Star inlays that was later painted with the Ouija) it always sounded muffled and weak compared to my other EMG equipped guitars.  I assumed it was because of the paint on the pickups.

At some point, I was finally frustrated enough to take the electronics apart and re-soldered all of the connections.  After that, it sounds more along the lines of what I expected.

DanieLibuy

I think its just the way the guitar sounds. You can have the same pickups, the same pots, everything, but they will never be (of course) the same wood. Wood matters a lot, even with EMG pickups.

Regards.

Post to Thread