George Lynch Kamikaze 1 paint patterns

Updated
George Lynch Kamikaze 1 paint patterns

Hi all,

I'm new to this community and looking for a nice ESP Kami 1 from the 90's. I noticed that there are different color/paint patterns/schemes on these guitars. Can anyone give me some more info on this? Were these guitars handpainted in those days hence the differences? Are some patterns more valuable than others? Other things to watch out for when buying these older models?

Thx a lot!

Mario

Mario V.

Nobody ?

ESP 348

Hello and welcome to the forum Mario.

There is a Kami collector on this forum that knows EVERYTHING there is to know about the Lynch Kamikaze guitars.

He has an amazing collection of Kami guitars also.

Obviously he hasn't seen this thread to comment, I will see if I can message him for you so he can try and answer your question.

Mario V.

Thank you very much ESP348! I appreciate this a lot! Greetz. Mario

ESP 348

Cheers Mario, not a problem my friend.

I messaged the man, will hopefully hear from him soon.

ESP 348

Actually, I will ask another friend to see if he has any Kamikaze 1 for sale from the 90's for you.

Mario V.

Coooooool!

CLT-ESP

Hi Mario. ESP 348 reached out to me letting me know you had some questions regarding the ESP Kamikaze 1 series. I believe I know a decent amount about the first run Kamikazes, but will qualify by saying I do not know a whole lot about the differences of the 90's version(s) to be honest since I collect/specialize in the early/rare/prototype versions. However I probably know enough to be dangerous.

If you're looking at Kamikaze 1's in general, a lot can be learned by looking at the Kamikaze's graphics placement, coloring, bridge recess configuration, serial number placement, etc...so hopefully this will still be helpful. I have a limited number of pictures on this computer, so I may have to provide additional pictures in a later post, so pardon me in advance.

Answers to FAQ's: 

• The first Kamikaze prototypes were released in late 1986. We'll call those "pre-GLK's". It's my understanding that there were 19 of these prototypes with a variety of different paint schemes and finishes. These are marked inside of the neck pocket as "# X of 19". These guitars had recessed bridge cavities. These were painted by hand. Interestingly, most of the prototypes had maple fretboards. The final versions that received the notorious Kamikaze design had a much darker tan background with a lighter yellow, and a brighter red. At least one had the ESP logo done in the off white vs black color. Only one of those with the Kamikaze graphic layout actually ended up with a maple neck ironically. Here's that example. The green one is #11 of 19. These received various handwound HB pickups, most typically marked with DDJ on the back. I have three of the prototypes, and they all have different weights, some as different as a pound. 

• The second Kamikaze was called the "pre-GLK". Now there were a couple of different variations of this guitar, but despite their differences, we'll keep those in the same group. These were also painted by hand (in fact, some of them had the bombs literally brushed on as seen below). These guitars were released in 1987 and had non-recessed or flush bridges. Also, some had serial numbers, and some did not. The ones that did typically have a 5 digit SN on the back of the headstock. From what I understand, only the first 5 had the serial numbers stamped below the 22nd fret on the fretboard like this one, and those were actually 4 digit SN's that corresponded with the production date. The first two pictures are of #1 by the way: (notice the color shade differences between these and the "pre-GLK" model but with the similar, more rounded khaki color near the red by the lower horn? That is another one of several subtle differences between the very early models and the later, more pointed graphics) These too received various handwound SD HB pickups, most typically marked with DDJ on the back. These guitars were on the heavier side. I have two, and they are literally like playing/listening to two totally different guitars. Both incredibly awesome, but both unique instruments on their own.

• 1989 - 1998? This is the rollout of the mass produced Kamikaze 1. This is where it gets a little muddy for me. There are some differences with graphics placement with these guitars, namely to the right of the Kamikaze Pilot's face. Also, notice the pointy khaki/beige graphic near the red on by the lower horn below the neck pickup vs. the previous rounded version? There are also color shade differences, but these differences are subtle at best. To my knowledge, only the 1989 and perhaps 1990 Kamikaze 1's still came from the factory with the optional zebra humbucker covers. However there were some that did not come with those as it was now an option. All of these should have serial numbers on the back of the headstock, All of these guitars also received rosewood fingerboards and recessed bridges for the floating Floyd Rose. Below are pictures of various examples starting around 1990 to late 90's. Notice the last picture where the black stripe is more aligned with the Kamikaze pilot box? That's probably a 1995 or later. Oddly, the parallel alignment is more like the "GLK" where the 1990 - 1992 version had the non-parallel setup like in the first picture. The same applies to the green 1990 - 1992 Kamikaze IV models as well. This was the transitional period of moving away from handwound DDJ's to the mass produced, less labor intensive  Seymour Duncan "Screamin Demons". As with anything, the higher the demand, the more "cookie-cutter" the production naturally. Still superior quality and playing guitars nonetheless...just a necessity to compete with supply and demand. These too can differ slightly in weight at time, and tonality can also differ ever so slightly, but these guitars are going to be more closely aligned to one another/more predictable side by side assuming all variables remain the same (pickups/bridge/setup/strings/tuning/etc..). 

• I would say give or take approximately 1999 - 2014, "I believe" you're looking at a more standardized/predictable instrument (*minus the super limited Custom Shop GL-20 of course). Graphics remain pretty much the same except the early 2000's introduced the Kamikaze "Signature Series", so you now have George's signature as part of the graphic under "ESP" on the headstock. Unless custom ordered, these all came with SD Screamin Demons. There may have been some slight tweeks/updates to the Floyd Rose over the years, but overall the same guitar tonally I believe. Someone chime in if I'm incorrect as I have VERY limited experience with the later Kamikazes. Below is a 2006 model. Not sure if you can zoom in on the headstock. 2007 GL-20 next to it in case you've never seen one. That would be a completely new write-up however. 

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful. 

Thanks, 

Scott

Wilder

Hey Scott, its Jonathan from the UK. I hope your babying that Kami I sold you!.

Good to hear it was a one of a kind proto after all.

Here is a question . My blue mk2 is I suspect an early one, but i gather likely to be 89 model. The bridge is a bit wierd, and I have no clue whether its ESPs own design, or not. I have put some pictures up so hopefully you & the good folks here can shed some light on it. Still my favorite guitar ever ( even the proto).

All the best J

J

Michael M.

Hey brother maybe you can answer a question for me, I bought a blue kamakaze, maple neck in 1988, the serial number was a sticker attached to the back of the head stock, it has been gone for years. Any other serial number anywhere on the guitar. Any idea the worth of this guitar,

Mario V.

WOW Scott, very impressed with your collection and your knowledge about the GL models. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to explain all this in this post ! And of course also ESP 348 for contacting you :-). Great guys.

In the meantime I found and bought a Kamikaze 1 in the UK! Normally I should receive it by the end of this week! I'll post some pictures when I get it.

The serial number is 120606. According to the seller, it dates from 1991/1992 and should be all original and in excellent condition. Hope this is the case....pictures don't always tell everything...

Were these also still custom made and paint ? The headstock pattern of this one is again different from other ones I've seen on the net.

What I also noticed now is that the bridge pickup doesn't mention 'Seymour Duncan'. Is that normal?

THX!!!!

ESP 348

What a reply from Scott eh?? He is the man.

And congrats on the Kamikaze Mario!! Looks great man.

I talked to my friend and he does have a Kami 1 for sale here in Australia.

Guitar is mint too, looks amazing in his pictures.

Good luck with the one from the UK. Please post pics up when it arrives man.

CLT-ESP

Hey Mario,

No problem. I'm more than happy to help any way I can. 

Congrats on the purchase! The guy you bought it from wasn't named Scott by any chance was he? 

As for the pickups, that's completely normal. In fact, early 90's were still pre-"Screamin Demon" release, or at least pre-Screamin Demon exterior labeling for marketing purposes. Pickup configuration was essentially the same, just no longer the hand wound version. The six digit serial number and placement is period correct. 

I'm unable to zoom in on the headstock, but everything looks good from what I can see. Just to make sure, the bridge area is recessed, correct? Hard to tell from my Mac. The black graphic beside the Kamikaze Pilot's face isn't as far off parallel as some of the others I've seen in that year range, but a dead giveaway for the early models is the more prounouced khaki point that overlaps the black stripe to the right of the Kami pilot's face. The image appears darker than my images giving the illusion that the khaki is darker and the yellow more pronounced, but it also makes the fretboard look like it's ebony which I'm guessing it is not. It should be rosewood, and I emphasize "should". Of course lighting is everything since my picture of the GL-20 above makes the khaki appear almost peach...which it's the furthest thing from it. 

Again, great score! Beautiful looking guitar!!! 

Like 348, I'm looking forward to hearing all about her once she arrives! If for any reason something falls through, I can attest to the fact that my man ESP 348 knows where to find the coolest of cool Kamikazes owned by some of the neatest, most certifiable rocks stars on this planet. He's certainly hooked me up with some killers!!! (Can't thank you enough, Pap!)

Scott

Anthony  E.

Hey CLT!!, great write up and information. I have an interesting guitar here that I would like to share with you and if you can tell me any more information about it I would greatly appreciate it. 

I am actually a charvel collector/player, early 80’s only, but I’m a huge George Lynch fan and have been for decades.

One day in 1987  I walked into Robbies Music (was in there at least once a week), Mahwah, New Jersey, I was 17 then. As I walked in the owner was putting a GL kamikaze into a showcase at the entrance. I was totally blown away and ask him if I can check it out. He then told me that only three of these came into the US and he got one. I put down a hundred bucks on the $1500 Kamikaze and after 5mos of making payments on it I finally took it home. It has an ESP trem, LH200 Black/cream Humbucker and esp single coil at the neck, push pull selector and serial number 1187 stamped on the last fret fingerboard. I didn’t know anything about these guitars until I started to do some research a few months ago and came across your article. The guitar has been sitting in its original case untouched in my closet for over 10 years. I pulled it out and started to evaluate the condition. I should also mention that I am a custom guitar builder. So I broke the guitar down and aside from a few dings in the finish and the frets needing polishing due to pitting, it’s actually in pretty good shape. The reason I pulled it out of the closet was that I was going to install an original Floyd Rose, but I researched it first and decided to break it down and clean, adjust and bring it back to its awesome playing condition, the spacing is different on the tremolo post and I did not want to dowel and redrill for a Floyd Rose spacing. 

So just so you know, I have one of the 5 that has the four digit serial number on the 22nd fret board. 

Anything you can add , I would appreciate it.

ESP 348

You're a legend Scott, your wealth of information on these guitars is amazing!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of this one absolutely. These are very cool guitars.

Take care and talk soon guys.

CLT-ESP

Thanks Pap! I claim no responsibility if I'm completely wrong..... 

ESP 348

Lol, even if you're wrong, it's all good mate.  You have been a great help here.

Mario V.

Hopefully it ticks all the boxes when I get it. I'll be back

ESP 348

Be sure to post more pics when it arrives Mario.

Mario V.

Will do!

Mario V.

Hi guys,

Just received the guitar and the disappointment could not be greater. She is in a much worser condition than described by the seller (a shop in the UK). According to them this was in an excellent condition and unplayed ???? In fact I'm beginning to doubt if its a legit guitar.... But want to check with you first before sending it back....

To start, the nut is to small for the neck...is this normal ? Fretboard is ebony.

The tremolo is not recessed and it seems that the area around the trem has been damaged and repaired :-(. The tremolo should be recessed no ?

The pickups show no brand and certainly not Seymour duncan

The neck and neck pocket show no markings, letters, numbers ... normal ?

Thx for your responses guys..... please let me know what I should do. Did not contact the seller yet....

Post to Thread