Iron Cross Advice

Updated
Iron Cross Advice

HI,

I’ve been looking at ESP guitars for sale online and came across this Iron Cross Electric Guitar:

I’m a big Hetfield fan, so this got me drooling. Not that it’s going to get me playing anywhere near as good as him - you can but dream. It’d be sweet if I can get close to his tone though. I’ve got a Mesa Boogie amp so I’m hoping that twinning the two will give me some kind of approximation.

Anyways, anyone know anything about this guitar? I know it is based on his 70’s custom Les Paul, but I read it wasn’t full thickness  - is the tone drastically affected? Also, does anyone know anything about general build quality. I’m always a bit suspicious of ‘signature’ range guitars – I have found they often sacrifice quality for the name.

Thanks in advance.

AK

Hi, I have this exact guitar. As you say, it is not full thickness. But I really love the tone, plus it is not too heavy. The quality is really amazing, very solid guitar, nothing faulty and there's nothing that bothers me. Beautiful ebony fretboard, easy to tune (and it holds the tuning), well setup and I really like the sound of the JH pickups. They will definitely go great with Mesa. The cross is well mounted to the body, so its sharp edges will not hurt you. I like thicker strings, so I changed the factory strings and still I could set them up low. Therefore, you should buy it without thinking, it will not disappoint. It is as good as the ESP version in my opinion. 

Mike A.

I bought this guitar a few months ago and I love it.  It is not that heavy but the tone of the guitar is amazing.  Very easy to play.  The JH pickups sound very good too.  I've had 2 KH's and this is my first Hetfield guitar.  And now I'm always playing the white cross.  Definitely worth it!  

Luke A.

Amazing. Thanks for the help guys. Think I'm definitely gonna buy this one. Anyone got any other signature guitars they would recommend?

ESP 348

Yes Luke................all of Kirk Hammett's ESP signuature guitars!

AK

Snakebyte is pretty amazing too.

William H.

Has anyone attempted to set this guitar up to B tuning?

AK

Nope. I have an 8 string for lower tuning stuff.

William H.

Yeah I have a Baritone that I use but trying to set up a standard guitar to B makes it easier to play some stuff I will let you know how it turns out

Post to Thread