Modifying a Gibson LPC to Kirk hammetts ebony

Updated

so I have purchased some guitars I'd like to modify to kirks ebony Gibson LPC but they are not from 88 but I'm not sure since I just got the custom made 2 weeks ago with 490 and 498T open pickups and compared to the hetfield truckster n other ESP eclipses I find this Gibson to be amazing n I'm affraid if I mess with it it might not play as well but for now if I to the modification 

I know kirks binding is gold but mine is in ebony 2016 ebony/ chrome which maybe I just put emgs and 2014 ebony/gold I can't explain how good to me that guitar sounds anyways here's my list so far I'm not sure which one I'm modifying the other will prob be returned for refund or credit or a different color  both were new but I got them for $3000 and $2000 one of the dealers lost $1300 on one of them as he was looking to clear space if your looking for a deal on lots of gibsons selections message me I can give u dealers as a few of them are for whatever reason not staying Gibson dealers these 2 are new and I'm the original owner in other threads I'll do the red tiger flame or trans red n the Amber or gold he uses in the Mexico DVD again despite buying new all were deals most of you would buy n sell n in a day turn a nice profit so if your not going to help I'm telling you I did the research and I have questions if your not interested in helping out a tallica fan looking to modify a guitar to his fav guitar player I'll admit I don't know gibsons but they are heavy some I got these 2 at 8.8 lbs and 9.8 lbs maybe slightly less. The others were weight relieved and the 2014 is  I think 8-8.6 it's hard to be exact it has a 60s slim tapered thin neck n it's gold hardware so I'll prob modify that. 

This is what I have so far

1- emg 81 pickup blk

1- emg 60 pickup blk

plus I'll upload a photo of the guitar later on 

First the hardware should I work off the Kirk Gibson Flying V specs ? 79 reissue ?

i have 

1-schaller blk guitar lock set strap set blk

1-spretzels blk satin locking inline tuners

1-Gibson accessories black stop bar with studs 

1- schaller or Nashville black tune matic or tune o matic special order black 

does kirk use go to in this ?

and I have tone pros... 

If if anyone has something helpful to add about the parts I'd appreciate the help. 

All photos will come later on and I'm keeping this thread for kirks ebony gtr. 

Ty and I appreciate the help as I try to take a really nice guitar n make it like kirks 

I might just put in the emgs I mean blk is cool but the setup that it came with plays perfection plus is every guitar going to be emg ? But I'm honestly torn some custom fenders sound great n Prs n Gibson some are just as good as my esps msybe it's the builder they're all customs all though I did compare a riff emg 81 ESP eclipse n truckster with 81/60 not truckster with JH pickups. Perhaps it needed a battery change the 498T Gibson n the guitar the build was very impressive n it was nearly identical same amp and same settings to an ESP eclipse the dark blue I think James used in the death magnetic world magnetic met club videos warm up n tested to a truckster. 

Does kirk use gotoh on the LPC ebony? 

Sephiroth

NRudy wrote:

Plus why wouldn't Gibson use real ebony it's not rare like other woods I can name 45 woods used for fingerboards that are extinct protected or very rare. 

A very quick google search of "gibson not using ebony" resulted in a few articles that might be of interest if you want that question answered.
from an NY Times article in 2012 http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/06/gibson-guitar-settles-claim-over-imported-ebony/

"Gibson Guitar Corporation has agreed to pay $350,000 in penalties to settle federal charges that it illegally imported ebony Madagascar to use for fret boards, .........
For the last year, he said, the criminal proceedings in court had effectively cut off Gibson from sources of hardwood in both Madagascar and India, and its luthiers were forced to make guitars with laminated fret-boards or fingerboards made of woods not traditionally used in guitars, which some customers did not like.

Forbes have an article on it http://www.forbes.com/sites/billsinger/2012/08/06/gibson-les-paul-guitars-with-less-ebony/#2f812d19762a

and a random thread from a gibson forum http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/106435-why-not-ebony-as-a-fretboard-material/ links to a video of Taylor guitars talking about Ebony supplies.

There is some information out there if you want to check.

NRUDY wrote:

Isn't ebony wood ? Unless this dealers wrong ? Plus many of the other lp models class 5s 60 lp standard and 59 true historics have all rosewood necks 

rosewood 1 piece rw is wood. 

So regarding all but the ebony gold n ebony chrome I'm reading the speccs from the site 

Fretboard - ebony ??? 

Gibsons own website for a gibson Les Paul Custom http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

"The 24 ¾-inch scale length neck is also made from one solid piece of mahogany then topped by a 22-fret Richlite® fingerboard outfitted with pearl block inlays and given Gibson’s traditional rounded profile. "

Richlite, not ebony.

Wikipedia, while not always correct, says this :-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_Les_Paul_Custom

"In 2012, Gibson replaced the ebony fingerboard on the production Custom with a solid paper-phenolic resin composite material."

"In 2013, Gibson did a limited run of 1957 reissue Customs (both 2 and 3 pickup models) with ebony fingerboards. These were the only Customs since 2011 to feature ebony fingerboards, and came with white handling gloves, a 20th anniversary toggle switch control cover, a special COA and a Gibson Custom case. "

"Gibson discontinued many models with ebony fingerboards as factory spec after the August 2011 federal raid due to concerns regarding the legality of ebony that the company had purchased. The 2013 Les Paul Custom that commemorates the Custom Shop's 20th anniversary is the first and only Custom to feature an ebony fingerboard since late 2011."

So since 2011 they have not used ebony except for one time in 2013 for a 20th anniverary limited run.

Fender seem to be doing alright with cardboard though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oo2H-W7d6A

As for the red gibson you keep asking about, I have no idea about what pick-ups / woods etc. Sorry.

If nobody knows then you might not get a reply about the pick-ups.

Sephiroth

NRudy wrote

so I have purchased some guitars I'd like to modify to kirks ebony Gibson LPC but they are not from 88 but I'm not sure since I just got the custom made 2 weeks ago ....../........ both were new but I got them for $3000 and $2000 one of the dealers lost $1300 on one of them...../ if your looking for a deal on lots of gibsons selections message me I can give u dealers ...../... again despite buying new all were deals most of you would buy n sell n in a day turn a nice profit so if your not going to help I'm telling you I did the research and I have questions if your not interested in helping out a tallica fan looking to modify a guitar to his fav guitar player I'll admit I don't know gibsons but they are heavy some I got these 2 at 8.8 lbs and 9.8 lbs maybe slightly less.

I suspect there is a bit of a language barrier and a communication breakdown in some of your posts. I have to admit sometimes, I just don't understand what you are saying.

Can you help me out with this bit though as it all seems to blend in and then doesn't resolve with what I assume should be a consequence?

"again despite buying new all were deals most of you would buy n sell n in a day turn a nice profit so if your not going to help I'm telling you I did the research and I have questions if your not interested in helping out a tallica fan looking to modify a guitar to his fav guitar player I'll admit I don't know gibsons but they are heavy some I got these 2 at 8.8 lbs and 9.8 lbs maybe slightly less"

Is that : you bought the Gibson LP Customs brand new at such low prices, that if we were to buy them at the price you got them for, then you suspect we would sell in a day" ?  Like you did with an ESP Vulture that you bought at cost price, then gave to a friend to sell at a higher price and wouldn't sell to Beadfan32 on the board at a lower price? Seems abit of a double standard if this is correct? My assumption is coming from this thread:-http://www.espguitars.com/forums/1963222/posts/2156706-jh-vulture-2016-blks-flying-v

NRudy wrote

I gave it to a friend who will sell it for a lot more than I was going to sell it to u if I had another I'd have some 1 I'd have to pay sell it to you for $4000 I don't even know where u live. 

If u apologize for over reacting I can prob get u 1 if u live in the USA for $3400 

my friend has his own eBay I don't bother with it I can't do u understand I'm in bed ? 

That makes me dishonest I should sell u mine I got for cost? I don't think that's fair 

Apologies if I'm wrong.

"so if your not going to help I'm telling you I did the research and I have questions if your not interested in helping out a tallica fan looking to modify a guitar to his fav guitar player I'll admit I don't know gibsons but they are heavy some I got these 2 at 8.8 lbs and 9.8 lbs maybe slightly less."

So if we are not going to help.... what? I don't understand? is there a consequence?

You've done the research,okay, and you have questions, okay. but "if your not interested in helping out a tallica fan looking to modify a guitar to his fav guitar player I'll admit I don't know gibsons but they are heavy some I got these 2 at 8.8 lbs and 9.8 lbs maybe slightly less"

What does that mean? If I'm not interested then what? Is there a consequence?

NRudy

The short answer is simply if no1 was interested nothing no threats lol then ud miss out that's all I'm very peaceful. More detailed answer coming. 

Sephiroth

Good to know, although I didn't say I thought the consequences would be threats or anything that wasn't peaceful? Just wondered what the result/effect was for not helping. The post was confusing as I have stated. You said "If you are not going to help....." ?? that would assume there is something else that is supposed to be said there, but you went on to something else.

Sephiroth

Now I'm taking the time to try and understand what you have written in this thread, the less I like what I'm reading. You accuse the forum members that they would buy Gibsons at a really low price  and then sell the next day,(as stated here in your first post to open the thread) :-

NRudy

"......................... new and I'm the original owner in other threads I'll do the red tiger flame or trans red n the Amber or gold he uses in the Mexico DVD again despite buying new all were deals most of you would buy n sell n in a day turn a nice profit so if your not going to help I'm telling you I did the research and I have questions if your not interested in helping out a tallica fan looking to modify a guitar to his fav guitar player I'll admit I don't know gibsons but they are heavy some I got these 2 at 8.8 lbs and 9.8 lbs maybe slightly less...........................t." 

And what do I find in this very same thread on page one from 15 days ago? You, bragging that you bought for $2,000 in June and then sold for $4,500??? 

NRudy

"......................... i got lucky i got that special guitar set up perfectly 2 mm above the emgs low action fast action its an amazing guitar. i got another blk or ebony lpc /chrome made june late of 2016 and sold it for $4500 and paid $2000. so buying them and selling them i get the gear free pretty much

as for modifying them with the emgs i got all new from gibson schaller and gotoh and emgs the whole thing new everything was $280. .............................."

Your double standards and hypocrisy dissapoints me.

NRudy

i'm sorry for the slow response something came up.. and i had to speak to my dr.

I dont have double standards, and im not a hypocrite. i did originally write a 1 hour respond to everything but my phone died. and then when i saw everyone piling on i didint care. ill do the very quick version.

I meant to say the prices on a few stores that had them when I typed that were so low either because they were going out of business or they wanted to clear inventory, or a few stores stopped selling gibson guitars. So for new gibson guitars that even if you did not want to buy the guitar to play it would be worth buying as a gift or to sell, and I meant anyone which im sure there are a few ppl here that sell gear guitars wanted to make some money all i said was message me and ill give u the info. It's a moote point now.

All i meant was i had some dealers and i wanted to help out ppl here who sell guitars or sell on ebay or anyone who wanted to make money i got nothing out of it, you may ask why would i do this why not buy them myself or why not sell them..

1 - I for now these days dont sell guitars. i cant package them carry them  and its not worth it for me. to go through the pain unless its for a huge profit, then I'd hire someone to do it for me.

in regards to this statement ". i got another blk or ebony lpc /chrome made june late of 2016 and sold it for $4500 and paid $2000. so buying them and selling them i get the gear free pretty much" that was a mistake i meant to say  and type

i had 2 lpc ebony/ chrome (1 would be modified for nlk hardware to make it like kirks blk or ebony lpc)- i kept 1  because it was an awesome gtr as is, then i found another gibson lpc ebony/gold that was selling in the store for $4599.... i got it for Just under $2000 delivered with extras, when everything was done. thats all... and since i purchased 2 from the first dealer cuz i was going to mod 1 like kirk hammett and keep 1 like it comes, when i returned it the dealer since i buy a lot from them told me to keep all the extras which was $600 -$800 of free gear and it ranges from..... i can find the original order and tell you exactly but nice straps nice and many sets of strings 2 monster chords 2 prs chords levy and prs straps, emg pickups, gig bags, kh-20 pickguards and emg JH pickups etc cleaning stuff... and since this was my only return in many purchases this year, and 7 other guitars from them were prs private stocks

... so they told me keep the gear free to keep a customer happy. . thats what i meant to say that i had 2 with a lot of extras and i got this amazing find the 2 i purchased were $3560 each delivered with setups and extras onsale from i think $4999 sometimes  i get the package deals, sometimes with this dealer i just get 6 sets of strings a strap and then i couldve got the guitar w ith setup the coa and ohsc both ways. i would have paid somehwere around $3350 each.

1- i type fast and my iphone has a very strong auto correct, so many times i don't finish thoughts or sentences, and the wrong info comes out. plus i kept getting mixed up with ebony as a color its a blk guitar... and im not buying or selling it was buying then buying again and then returned 1 so i have the blk/gold moded into the blk/blk and the blk/chrome as is and i got all that crazy gear thats really so much emg pickups and chords and straps and strings got the gear free its hard sometimes on oxy i cant see straight but type... so sorry about the mixup thats all it was.

i have an "ebony/black like kirks" and an ebony/chrome - the one moded was ebony gold first

1 was $2000. the other was between $3200-$3400 (its pretty complicated here but not imp ) i got great deals and a lot of extras and i got to keep all that emg pickups i can go through an exact list thats not imp. but thats was free like i said i was refunded for 1 fully with shipping. and they were nice enough to let me keep $800 worth of gear and discounted heavy some of parts to mod the hammett gibson.

2- when i get a lot of free gear i give it to friends or family members that sell anything on ebay and they use ebay or amazon i dont know and sell it for me and if im not going to use like a strap or any of the gear or extras they will take off 10 % or just sell it fast and whatever money they get they give me and i just take it off the original price i paid for book keeping, as 1 day i hope to get better and sell a lot of my guitars.

B4 you judge try and understand im in a bed or couch alone for 2 years and to not go insane i have a hobby i collect guitars hopefully they will go up most of them are new, and if it gets me through a painful hard day then its a hobby that helps i cant watch tv or movies 24/7 and i am in too much pain even with meds to sleep. i have a hard time sleeping. i wouldnt wish what i have on anyone. It's hard to watch garbage TV or movie lying in bed on meds in pain for going on 2 years only leaving to go to ther ER or doctors.

bottom line i did the best i could ordering the pieces for modding a gibson ebony lpc from gold hardware to blk and i also have the original guitar gibson ebony with chrome hardware. in addition to that i took myself advanatage of a amazing sale from other dealers and got a 60 lp standard. a true historic  59 reissue, and 3 class 5 new gibsons they all have rosewood boards, they were all priced some 80% off with COA new gtrs and warrantees.

as far as the guitar the JH vulture with breadfan, theres a whole other side to that story and i took the high road. i moved on - im not going to get into that but i tried to help him, despite him saying things he shouldnt have he never apologized thats OK  and i tried many times and when i was trying to find out where he lived 4 members didint tell me  i didnt need his address i needed to know if he lived in USA and what area west coast etc.. or what country as my esp 2 dealers called me and had an extra 1 for me and i was going to get it for him. cost on those guitars is still expensive when you buy 4, so if i kept 1 and i gave 2 as gifts to friends who helped me with my initial surgery and helped me for 2 years taking me to doctors and they didn't want it i insisted for them to keep it. So the 4th JH Vulture  i gave to a family friend a guy i knew b4 he married my cousin who has 2 huge elerctronic stores in NYC and he sold it after breadfan went nuts on me and im not going to get into the nasty things he said about me.

but regarding breadfan i  messaged him privately i asked him where he lived to get the price and he ignored me i cant help someone who thinks im going to steal his money. theres another huge side to that whole story, beleive what you want but i tried to help him. even after, he wouldnt apologize. and when i had 1 simple question about modding the lp like kirk no1 said kirks ebony dont bother since u have to buy it used to get an ebony gibson, i had a black gibson that most stores retail for $4999 or so, i got all the parts i did my best yes i got the wrong spretzel tuners no big deal the dealer sent me the wrong ones ill fix it just not now. i asked for 2-3 weeks does any1 know if kirk uses a nashville tune o matic bride and gotoh stoptail or schaller stop tail ? i got both  or a few dif. ones because i couldnt get an answer, so there was no point to this thread.

i dont need to get abused, when i mod my red gibson and my yellow gibsons that look like the ones kirk uses and my blk ones ill have the emgs i want the modifications i want, and i wont bother with the other threads. im very disappointed.

i hope u all had a good laugh.  best of luck to all and i wish you all the best.'

cheers

Nate

NRudy

There are answers ligit answers to everything but it seems like you guys want to have fun at my expense go for it. 

I was in the middle of explaining everything I wrote 10 detailed answers to seps question n yes you would've owed me an apology I never had CONSIQUENCES or would've threatened anyone. I tried despite breadfan calling me privately n going nuts publicly on me to get him a JH vulture there's my side but seeing all this garbage I am not going to explain everything. 

Its ok you guys pound on me some more stay classy. Wish u the best. 

There are ligitiment answers to everything said here but I'm not going to bother getting annoyed. 

So if it makes u feel good to smash n publicly talk garbage n trash about me good do it. I wish all of you the best of luck n have a great day.

thanks 

Nate

Breadfan32

Just for the record I never went publicly nuts on you for trying to get me a Vulture. 

I mentioned in a thread if you were looking to sell it I was interested because your wife was mad you were buying all these guitars.  

You told me to message you and you would be able to get me a deal on one.  I did.  Nowhere in our messages did you find a deal for me.  That was fine.  

In a different thread you later said you were thinking about selling it if anyone was interested to message you which I responded that I already told you I was interested.  

You later said you were going to give it to a friend to sell on eBay.  It was at that point I said in a thread asking why you were wasting my time.  Which you were.  No hard feelings.  I certainly don't need you to buy a guitar.  

Nobody is talking garbage or trash about you.  Many of your posts are hard to understand or make sense.   If members here call you out on it you get offended.  

You have a great collection and it's fun talking about guitars.  Stay on topic.  We don't need to hear that you have a bad back in every post.  I'm not trying to insult you hear but from reading all your posts one would wonder if you suffer from some kind of mental illness.  

NRudy
Breadfan32 wrote:

Just for the record I never went publicly nuts on you for trying to get me a Vulture. 

I mentioned in a thread if you were looking to sell it I was interested because your wife was mad you were buying all these guitars.  

You told me to message you and you would be able to get me a deal on one.  I did.  Nowhere in our messages did you find a deal for me.  That was fine.  

In a different thread you later said you were thinking about selling it if anyone was interested to message you which I responded that I already told you I was interested.  

You later said you were going to give it to a friend to sell on eBay.  It was at that point I said in a thread asking why you were wasting my time.  Which you were.  No hard feelings.  I certainly don't need you to buy a guitar.  

Nobody is talking garbage or trash about you.  Many of your posts are hard to understand or make sense.   If members here call you out on it you get offended.  

You have a great collection and it's fun talking about guitars.  Stay on topic.  We don't need to hear that you have a bad back in every post.  I'm not trying to insult you hear but from reading all your posts one would wonder if you suffer from some kind of mental illness.  

I dont wonder lol i know i have all sorts of mental truamtic physical illness. i hope 1 day it gets better.

thanks have a great week, and if you still did not get the esp JH vulture let me know whats the best price you found and maybe i can guide you to a dealer, so you can be the original owner and get the warranty. i'm not looking to make $1 on this, but this way you dont have to trust me with your money or tell me what country you live in so i could get the quote for you. I played my vulture the first night, thats it. as far as ebay nothing from me  was sold on ebay i gave 2 away as gifts. 1 was the one i played the other 1 i gave to my cousin who has large electronic stores in NYC, and he sold it there, i was trying to help you get it i couldnt find out where you lived so i couldnt get it for you, I'm sorry i wasted your time. I have an unopened  JH vulture esp gtr. its still in the box, that one im going to use. but if your serious and you want to buy 1 i dont want you to feel uncomfortable paying me first with paypal or any method you want, seemed like you liked your ltd version of it, but if you want to get the esp version many ppl have it for sale simply message me when you are ready to buy it if u want, and if its a dealer i know i might be able to get you a better deal and have the guitar shipped to you, if you decide im a person that can be trusted with your money. If not best of luck finding one they have them on ebay while im not a member of ebay i do browse there and other sites as a guest. or sometimes i use my wife's account to buy things.

best of luck its a great gtr i played it the first day i got it, its was amazing... now its just in the corner in a huge box. im getting to it. again best of luck. cheers mate.

Sephiroth

I wasn't making fun, I had genuine questions.

As stated, I can't understand most of your posts so I asked questions regarding a few things. You left open statements which sounded like there were consequences if you didn't get answers. I didn't say I thought they were violent consequences, but the way your posts were written they were open ended and made no sense. You clarified that point in a reply to my post, saying we would miss out. I assume miss out on the information that would then be aquired in this thread. Fair enough, you just never stated that in the posts.

As for my other posts, I've given you information regarding gibson and ebony you asked for which I assume you have now looked at. I can't verify the info for the part I got from wikipedia but you can see for yourself, and maybe do abit more research into it. I know nothing about Gibsons although I own a Gibson LP standard. I saw your post and did a quick google search and gave you the answers I found.

I pointed out you said you were getting cheap deals and after stating "most" of the people on this forum would sell in a day.

I think its perfectly reasonable I could have read the quote below as saying "I bought the guitars at a really low price that if you on the forum got it at this price, would sell in a day. And if you are not going to help me I'm not telling you how to get the deals."  that seems a consequence of not helping. Which is why I asked you what the consequences were for your statements that seemed open ended. Now I know thats not what you meant, but your posts are confusing.

"again despite buying new all were deals most of you would buy n sell n in a day turn a nice profit so if your not going to help I'm telling you I did the research and I have questions if your not interested in helping out a tallica fan looking to modify a guitar to his fav guitar player I'll admit I don't know gibsons but they are heavy some I got these 2 at 8.8 lbs and 9.8 lbs maybe slightly less"

After trying to read the beginning of this thread I then find you had gone and stated you have bought a Gibson Les Paul Custom for $2000 and sold it for $4500. Thats not making fun. Thats stating I believe you to have double standards after saying thats what you believe "most" people would do on this forum. And I'm dissapointed that you ask for help from the community and while at the same time accuse others of flipping guitars for a higher price, when you have already said yourself that you have done it. I believe thats the same as you also flipping the ESP Vulture you got at cost and selling at a high price through your friend, but you are saying it's not. I can't exactly respond to that as I have no other info apart from what I have already posted which came from you.

Best of luck to you too, have a nice day.

Breadfan32

Breadfan32

Hey Nate here is our original message where I told you I live in Ontario Canada. 

You keep going on about how I never told you were I live.  

What is it that I'm supposed to apologize for?  You being an idiot? 

Once again, you're wasting my time.  

NRudy

ok thanks.

Road King

ITT there is a lot of TLDR. More pics of the private stocks please.

NRudy

NRudy

Pushead

Stonecat

She's a beauty.

Road King

I see chrome pickup screws and gold toggle switches. KH would be ashamed.

NRudy

Yeah prob, I'm working on fixing it. Have a nice day.

Guiguitarz

Post to Thread