Modifying a Gibson LPC to Kirk hammetts ebony

Updated
Modifying a Gibson LPC to Kirk hammetts ebony

so I have purchased some guitars I'd like to modify to kirks ebony Gibson LPC but they are not from 88 but I'm not sure since I just got the custom made 2 weeks ago with 490 and 498T open pickups and compared to the hetfield truckster n other ESP eclipses I find this Gibson to be amazing n I'm affraid if I mess with it it might not play as well but for now if I to the modification 

I know kirks binding is gold but mine is in ebony 2016 ebony/ chrome which maybe I just put emgs and 2014 ebony/gold I can't explain how good to me that guitar sounds anyways here's my list so far I'm not sure which one I'm modifying the other will prob be returned for refund or credit or a different color  both were new but I got them for $3000 and $2000 one of the dealers lost $1300 on one of them as he was looking to clear space if your looking for a deal on lots of gibsons selections message me I can give u dealers as a few of them are for whatever reason not staying Gibson dealers these 2 are new and I'm the original owner in other threads I'll do the red tiger flame or trans red n the Amber or gold he uses in the Mexico DVD again despite buying new all were deals most of you would buy n sell n in a day turn a nice profit so if your not going to help I'm telling you I did the research and I have questions if your not interested in helping out a tallica fan looking to modify a guitar to his fav guitar player I'll admit I don't know gibsons but they are heavy some I got these 2 at 8.8 lbs and 9.8 lbs maybe slightly less. The others were weight relieved and the 2014 is  I think 8-8.6 it's hard to be exact it has a 60s slim tapered thin neck n it's gold hardware so I'll prob modify that. 

This is what I have so far

1- emg 81 pickup blk

1- emg 60 pickup blk

plus I'll upload a photo of the guitar later on 

First the hardware should I work off the Kirk Gibson Flying V specs ? 79 reissue ?

i have 

1-schaller blk guitar lock set strap set blk

1-spretzels blk satin locking inline tuners

1-Gibson accessories black stop bar with studs 

1- schaller or Nashville black tune matic or tune o matic special order black 

does kirk use go to in this ?

and I have tone pros... 

If if anyone has something helpful to add about the parts I'd appreciate the help. 

All photos will come later on and I'm keeping this thread for kirks ebony gtr. 

Ty and I appreciate the help as I try to take a really nice guitar n make it like kirks 

I might just put in the emgs I mean blk is cool but the setup that it came with plays perfection plus is every guitar going to be emg ? But I'm honestly torn some custom fenders sound great n Prs n Gibson some are just as good as my esps msybe it's the builder they're all customs all though I did compare a riff emg 81 ESP eclipse n truckster with 81/60 not truckster with JH pickups. Perhaps it needed a battery change the 498T Gibson n the guitar the build was very impressive n it was nearly identical same amp and same settings to an ESP eclipse the dark blue I think James used in the death magnetic world magnetic met club videos warm up n tested to a truckster. 

Does kirk use gotoh on the LPC ebony? 

NRudy

NRudy

Finally almost done should be ready on Monday but here's a sneak peek needs blk screws by trc and it would take a month to get a special order new Gibson push pull in blk faster in chrome I'm not sure if Kirk uses chrome... But it's nearly done... 

My tech said the stop tail didn't come with lines for the strings to go through so he had to like with a saw or tool make them. I got all brand name parts and total to transform guitar by a pro he gave me a great deal 3 hours work with a setup and restring plus all the work $120. So that made the guitar I got new for $2100 I got lucky on that. It's a 2015 Gibson LPC ebony gold the chrome was $3200. Which is about cost. 2016 both new with warranty then the after market new name brand parts $150 or so the pickups set 81/60 new emg $145 all prices delivered. I chose to modify the gold hardware ebony LPC and after paying the pro to modify it $120 he's just doing odds n ends. This is what it looked like yesterday.im very excited and I hope this thread helps anyone trying to mod an ebony LPC Gibson to kirks gtr... It's not perfect but for the deal I got I'm happy how it looks. I didn't get it perfect but Kirk has 2 ebony guitars LPC that he uses. So a few more things to get done and hopefully Monday I'll have it plus use a khs-1 strap and then the strap locks will go on that or another strap, then some screws gold changed to black. And the push pull blk ring and blk top on the push pull the gold part is the actual push pull which I'd have to wait 30 days for the right part. But it's ok either in chrome or special order blk down the line. I think for now I'll just leave it as is it looks good. I hope again this thread helps others soon to come kirks other LPC mods. Trans red flame next. True historic Amber burst and I got a 2004 LPC cranberry flame as guitar collector lists Kirk having a cranberry les Paul custom mine is class 5 with chrome I need to see if he uses the Gibson pickups humbucker #2/3 under the chrome tops or if he's using emgs in the photo I'll start the next thread with. For now this guitar is almost done and I'm very excited the whole new 2015 ebony /gold new guitar was amazing deal.

with coa and warranty new 

$2100 

parts and pickups $275 delivered. Or so.

then I forgot to show I changed the 

input to black from gold. 

Professional install $120-$130 but it might be less as I have a coupon. So all done accept the 1/3 

part of the push pull 2/3 blk main item gold. 

$2500 or so brand new with all new parts brand names gotoh schaller and Gibson new pro worked  on it. That's an amazing deal this guitar lists for $4899 in stores and made in gibsons top custom shop and gibsons msrp is close to $7000. So I got a nice deal.

NRudy

i gave him the wrong part. i told the dealer what i needed, he gave me the tuners for fender like 6 not 3+3 like the gibson, the tech broke them or took them apart and i guess that was the way he was able to do it, its not worth if its not a huge deal to call the dealer have them send me the correct part and then have him do it over again.

I imagine id need new set of strings if i did that and another restring plus the correct part which im sure i can get from the dealer free cuz he made the mistake, its best if i play it as is and in the future, get the right part next time i want to get the guitar set up or restring it, normally id do the restring myself, but the setup or the adjusting the truss rod i cant do plus even restrings are hard for me as i can not bend as im in poor health. but thanks for the info i can see if he can fix it but if it delays and each set of string i go through on this gtr is $15 despite the fact that i have a lot really alot this gtr already went through 3 restrings , it came with 10s nyxl i switched it and hurt myself to 9s then i was trying to change the pickups and my back went out and i lost a spring, so then it got restrung after 2 weeks while i was waiting for the parts , then i got the parts and he works in the store part time he did it in a few hours the whole gtr, he called me and asked me if i wanted to get the part from him as i gave him the wrong part but i was not available and my wife spoke to him and i think he said 3x that i had the wrong part but he took them apart was his exact wording and fixed them... so if its just turning the "buttons" or tuners the wrong way for the first month ill live with that then get the right part, and have him next time do the push pull in blk and the correct spretzel tuners for 3+3 config. again let me know if its a major issue for now, as i waited a while for this one and i just want to get it monday and play it. good eye though nice pick up and i shouldve wrote that the dealer gave me the wrong part put i did it all in a rush i took the parts out or rather my wife did for a photo for the thread and i just ordered them from a dealer who shouldve known better. its not an expensive part i think it should be fine until i get a set up and make the final changes..? or is it ?

NRudy

TY

I will update thread with finished product when i get the 3 way switch  in blk or chrome, i think it was gold and after the years turned chrome or is was chrome and changed but trivial stuff. i want to get the guitar and play it not spend my life modifying it i know im impatient, what can i do i got the wrong part new parts on the way next time it gets a setup they will be added on.  for now u had a new lpc ebony/gold changed to all blk hardware and after the 2 gold screws are changed to blk in the TRC, and the correct sprezel tuners installed, and the correct 3-way toggle or 3-way Toggleswitch with Thin Washer & Jackplate in blk, I will post a final photo/s. thanks to all the many positive contributes and thoughts. the whole thing new cost around $2500 good thing i didint take up a few members here in the board that offered thir services for $7500 and $6500 lol. cheers everyone have a nice weekend.

if anyone wants to buy the gold new hardware or the new gold pickups the guitar came with message me. original gibson lpc harware and pickups...

im thinking since the Gibson les paul cranberry tiger stripewith chrome, looks to be same traps inlays as the class 5 i have in a simillar trans red flame class 5 also with chrome hardware. I will check if kirk uses emgs in that or not if he does it change the pickups but that gtr is a beast and ready to play,  as for the honey or amber burst the LP 60 standard, need to do more research also got a 59 true historic gibson lp again need to do more research.  I myself  was thinking of getting a lpc in alpine white with all white hardware and white emgs. i like white guitars love them, and i dont display my guitars they stay in the case so they are always as white as the day i purchased them since when not in use they are in the case.

thats it for now on this thread gtr should be ready monday and the new parts will be installed when i want them installed. ty again to every1 that helped me out.

ESP 348

Thousands and thousands of dollars spent on a two Gibson Les Pauls and replacement hardware! Lol.

At least you're having fun Nate. I just bought some new pick ups for my original KH2 and I don't have the time nor interest in changing them out.

Wish you or Big Daddy lived closer to me as I would just hand the guitar to one of you guys to swap them out for me. You guys love 'tinkering' with your guitars.

NRudy

@esp, wasnt that bad i got the 2015 all done with a guitar tech doing the work for me i cant do that i can do the pickups sometimes but thats it it depends on what gtr not on theis one i can do on active to active but i wanted this done professionally and i messup well the dealer i got 1 part from made a mistake which hes fixing on the sprezel tuners but the pro guitar tech broke them apart and rebuilt them and made the best he can on short notice. i will have it properly replaced soon enough im just excited to get the gtr and play it should be ready monday just going over odds and ends.

not that bad on the pricing 2015 lpc ebony/gold $2000 emgs and blk gibson, sprezel and gotoh hardware $300 and about $125 on the pro setup and work to modify it to all blk. so that one is an amazing deal,

the 2016 lpc ebony chrome btw both came with pickguards i removed.  that 1 was purchased also new and i loved it so much i kept it for now and i love the pickups i might eventually spec it out like james hetfield 1 day.

other lp gibsons on order and 3 class 5's purchased i wont get into all the pricing but they were new with warranty and all new and very good deals in fact the best deals on guitars  new in a long time.

as for the installs i cant speak for b dad but i can't do it myself these days and even when i was able to use a work station i ddint do the work, i had a guitar tech i trust for over 20 years do it professionally.

think about this the gtr is $7000 msrp just about from gibson USD$ the stores list them for $4899 i paid $2000 delivered. the parts all name brand and a few of them in black were special order, yes 1 part the sprezel tuners the dealer sold me for a fender or a guitar that has 6 straight tuners or buttons they call it sometimes rather than 3+3 but my tech took them apart and did  a good job with what he had, he did the work in a couple of days, and only charged me $120 for 2-3 hours worth.

all in all on that gtr it was around $2400-$2500 plus i sold all the extras it came with and that paid for the emgs's and the blk hardware. plus i got a credit in the store and overnight shipping on my intital purchase cuz the store made a mistake and charged my card 4x- which was a huge issue. so they made it right.

not bad for a few weeks i got th guitar i want to say friday the week of the 2016 open in golf parts came in like a week or a bit more and took it in monday and it wouldve been ready a few days ago but i was thinking of swithcing the some odds and ends and decided ill have the tech do some other installs and pick all the guitars up monday or my wife will.

cheers!

i cant wait to play it...!

ESP 348

Thanks for sharing mate, hope you enjoy playing it.

NRudy

Thanks right now im using the GIBSON Les Paul cranberry tiger stripe- and its awesome.

ESP 348

Enjoy Brother!

Right now I am watching the Formula 1 Qualifying.

NRudy

im waiting for the PGA golf to start broadcasting, looks like jason day has a great chance if you like aussie golf...

ESP 348

Unfortunately I don't like Golf.

NRudy

Yes all came with warranties. And 

so far the one I moded like Kirk was an LPC ebony as the photo above is that not like kirks ? It's an ebony fretboard with black hardware and a blk or ebony gtr... What's wrong with that looks great ?

Doesn't Kirk use a LPC ebony with blk hardware and emgs? 

And for the trans red gtr I'm not sure what exact gtr Kirk uses I have 1 LPC ebony n 1 class 5 with rosewood both have chrome hardware 

did I do the Gibson blk ebony wrong ?

also the trans red I have with ebony board n chrome hardware that Kirk uses with chrome pickups are those Gibson pups ? Or emg under the chrome ? 

After all this this gtr is wrong ? 

And do you know what gtr kirks playing here but most of all what pickups he's using in this photo ? 

NRudy

I made sure the gtr I got from Sam ash was new I know the manager he use to work local n the gtr had a pickGaurd n was only out 1 month plus very few ppl played it. When I got it it came new if u look at photos nothing needed to get buffed out. I'm not sure what was wrong Friday as I wasn't involved in the transfer to blk I called Sweetwater asked him what I need got the box from him gave to my wife she took to Gtr tech. As far as any warranties they wrote it up for me I'll say I'm not worried. They take care of me I've been doing business with them a long time. They didn't discount them because 

of the reason you suggested. 

Min to the June 2016 ebony chrome gtr from Sweetwater 

all of them at the $4899 price point comes with rich lite board 

I think I'll be fine both Sweetwater n Sam ash told me they are world class instruments n should I have any issues they would take care of it. 

Plus im not sure the warranty covered ur possible phelonic issues. 

I called Gibson my warranties are in order. 

As for kirks gtr having a blk body blk hardware n real ebony fretboard I'll look down the road. 

For now these will do. And that small buff I think someone at the store played it no one knows cuz when my wife brought it in the tech wrote new. Something small happened that they are fixing. 

NRudy

WHAT PICKUPS IS KIRK USING ABOVE...in the photo of him using a red lp ?

NRudy

Which gtr pickups is Kirk using on this red gtr ? 

What kind of model is it ?

it appears to have a rw board to my eye, 

NRudy

What Gibson is this what board is it and what pickups are they ? 

Post to Thread