Hammet fretboard (Scalloping)

Updated
Mark S.

I would like to see an option to purchase this Guitar or any ESP for that matter and have the option of a full Factory Sclloped Fretboard. It is so hard to find a compident luthier to get this done espicially a one piece throu body guitar.

Big Daddy B

Scalloping has always been an option with limited appeal in the 30 years I have been playing. Not to say it is good or bad, I really could take it or leave it. Unfortunately, most people are of the opinion unless you are very light handed it will cause chords to go out of tune. On the other hand, some people say it helps with vibrato. I haven't really found that to be the case either (at least for me). I have 3 Hammett models that have this on the upper frets and have also requested it on a custom order I have pending. The only ESP model that had a full scallop that I am aware was the vintage plus SC that was loosely referred to as the Yngwie Malmsteen. That was a bolt on of course.

Fender also offers the Ritchie Blackmore strat which has full scalloping but if you were going to want in on a NTB ESP, I am sure you could do a custom order thru the custom shop.

Mark S.

I thank you for your imput. I have been playing for over 30 years, this is my 2nd ESP and the first with a through body neck. I started with Ibenez and Jackson. It wasnt untill a friend of mine pulled out his coral pink Ibenez and it had a fully scalloped neck. I played it and fell in love plus with my style of playing it is perfect for me. I was given a JEM at a Vai concert when he played the Button South in Hallendale Florida. unfortunatly that one was stolen at a gig 6 months later. I just want to find someone trustworthy without sending my ESP to another state as I am very protective of all my axes. So maybe someone reading this can help out. There is no doubt that my ESP KH602 shreds better than all my others. My EVH is the only one that comes just ahead in every aspect but what would you expect for a guy that started with nothing and now most want to be just like him.

Big Daddy B

Yeah I knew the Jems had scalloped upper frets as well but was unaware that Ibanez had done any fully scalloped models. I am unaware of anyone reliable that does this work. Not that there aren't any, just unaware. Maybe someone on here will chime in. Where are you located? Florida? That will aid in any recommendations.

ESP 348

I can't help with any information, but cool story in regards to Vai giving you one of his JEM guitars.

What year was this and do you have any pics? A mate is a HUGE Vai fan, has a few JEM guitars also and I am sure he would love to hear more about the guitar you were given with some pics.

What a shame it was stolen also, that would have broke your heart man.

Mark S.

Yes I do, I will post what I recovered from my ex wife. I had a family member that use to own Ace Music. He sold it to office depot and they turned it into Mars music. I was kinda lucky to meet and jam with some of the best.

ESP 348

That is awesome, thanks for sharing mate. Looking forward to seeing a pic if you can.

Post to Thread