New Hammett's Pickups ? Confirmed ?

Updated
New Hammett's Pickups ? Confirmed ?

Hi guys,

You remember The Night Before Show, and the Custom EMG that Kirk fitted onto his Red Les Paul in the bridge position ?

I've spotted a pic last night during their show with the Sharks and I've seen this :

That's right, in one of his standard Vintage he has for heating his fingers up, he has a new EMG Prototype at the neck (or JH ?) with plots. Don't know if he has a new one in the bridge position too ... 

It's seems like we'll have new signature pickup over 2016 or 2017 

Cheers,

G.

Mark P.

Maybe there is a KH Set coming... new piece to the puzzle!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLgv58QBqV9/?taken-by=emgpickups

Guiguitarz

Ahah ! So fast guys ! I've spotted to this post from EMG, and snap the picture and the comments for you, but you were too fast  :

ESP 348

That's awesome Mark. If you read the comments, somone asks what guitar it is and the reply was-

"emgpickups@official_kessler_hetfield @the_man_of_steel_95 its an #ESP KH-DC and this one is custom"

Must be an aged and distressed KH DC. Hopefully it's just a custom guitar for him and they don't try and sell this guitar.

Mark P.

I don't think it will be a new signature, it looks like his Silverburst DC he has had for a while now. Interesting that these pickup trials so far (The hetfield prototype and now this) are in his LP style guitars and not is M-II style guitars. 

Guiguitarz

Remember that he tried the Het Set onto one of his KH-Vintage (Shark, Nationnal anthem rehearsal) ...

Mark P.

True, I left it out because that was a stock Het set and not any type of prototype. Still though, it could be part of the process.

ESP 348

Cheers Mark, I hope not.

I remember that G.

Mark P.

Looking forward to seeing what comes out of this. Although I prefer the 81x/60x and the 57/66 both over the Het Set for what I do it will be very cool to see what happens if Kirk has his own set come out! Might need to get another ESP to stick a set in if they are really good!

Mark P.

I havent noticed any issues with my 57/66 set vs my 81x/60x set in my Eclipse. That being said, I just tested the 57/66 set in it for a while then put the 81/60 back, the 57/66 set is currently awaiting my next guitar.

Pushead

Big Daddy and I talked about our 66/57 sets.  I have the same noise from my set as BDB.  Certainly nosier than my 81/60 sets/  I suspect it's just the noise of the preamp in the pickups.

If EMG is having difficulty recreating the problem, let them know I'd be willing to ship the guitar to them.

Mark P.

I wonder if the extra noise is from the new preamp and the attempt to give them a more passive sound. I think I may put them back in my eclipse for a bit and really crank them just to see what happens. I generally use my Eclipse when I want a heavy/tight sound and my Gibsons with passive pickups when I want a looser sound. 

Pushead

You don't really need to crank it up to hear it.  I have noise from an 81/60 setup normally, too, but it's a different sound.  I just always assume that's what they sound like.  I have to make a different video of stuff anyway, so I'll make one with the pickup noise.

Pushead

Well, the buzzing is at least somewhat related to electo-magnetic interference.  As I was getting set to make the video, I walked away from the amp while holding the guitar and the buzzing stopped.  The guitar cavities are coated in grounding paint, so I'm not sure what more I could do to sotp it.  It's only when it's near the transformer for the amp, the florescent lights don't have any effect, even with the pickups 3" from the light.

Big Daddy B

Pus & Mark,

Got my pickups back from EMG yesterday and installed them tonight. They seem less noisy now. They told me they changed the buss but I had also changed that once myself before sending them so asking if they changed anything else. Don't get me wrong, they are still the noisiest of all my EMGs but the level is now within a range I think I can live with, even if towards the top of that range. Far better than before. Crossing fingers they stay that way.

Mark P.

EDIT: Well I've spent the better part of the afternoon and evening playing around with the 81x/60x before swapping the 57/66 into the same guitar. I don't really notice a huge difference in noise. The pickups respond very differently to pick attack obviously but to me they don't seem much noisier than the others. I still really like both sets of pickups but I feel like between the 81/60 and the 57/66 I have my EMG humbuckers covered.

As a player and a Metallica fan I would love to see what EMG might come up with for Kirk but I am not sure at this point if I would get them if they were released. Still need a full time guitar for this set I have lol.

Guiguitarz

Did you try an hybrid combination like the 81/66 or the 57/60 ? Someone ?

Mark P.
Guiguitarz wrote:

Did you try an hybrid combination like the 81/66 or the 57/60 ? Someone ?

I have not and I probably would not unless it was a temporary thing due to a pickup failing or something such as that. The dynamics between the 81/60 and the 57/66 are totally different and for me this difference actually changes the way I play even with the same guitar. I think it would actually bother me to mix them up in the same guitar since I frequently switch between the two pickups, often during the same song.

Mark P.

I don't know if you guys saw this but EMG just teased a Marty Friedman set for the end of this year so if they are going to do a Hammett set, we are probably looking at next year.

Guiguitarz

Seen it 

You think that EMG won't release two sets a year ?

Maybe Hammett needs to test his set during the Hardwired Tour...? It's tricky because he's using his graphic guitars, and he can't load them into ...

Mark P.
Guiguitarz wrote:

Seen it 

You think that EMG won't release two sets a year ?

Maybe Hammett needs to test his set during the Hardwired Tour...? It's tricky because he's using his graphic guitars, and he can't load them into ...

I mean they did release the Gary Holt and Glenn Tipton sets at the same time so it is possible.

Guiguitarz

Getting close ... :

And I did read in an interview he gave in Paris that he's working on it, and he told that the finish will be brushed, for those who want to practice their french :

For you guys, I'll translate quickly  :

Interviewer : "Speaking of pickups, you're still sticking with the couple EMG 81/60 ?"

KH : "Always running with the 81, on the other hand, I'm working with EMG on a new neck pickup which will be warmer, more in the traditional sound and render of a Les Paul neck pickup. It will be available in a brushed finish which it give it a really cool look."

Wait and see ...

-G.

ESP 348

Cool stuff, we will soon see.

Post to Thread