New Hammett's Pickups ? Confirmed ?

Updated
New Hammett's Pickups ? Confirmed ?

Hi guys,

You remember The Night Before Show, and the Custom EMG that Kirk fitted onto his Red Les Paul in the bridge position ?

I've spotted a pic last night during their show with the Sharks and I've seen this :

That's right, in one of his standard Vintage he has for heating his fingers up, he has a new EMG Prototype at the neck (or JH ?) with plots. Don't know if he has a new one in the bridge position too ... 

It's seems like we'll have new signature pickup over 2016 or 2017 

Cheers,

G.

ESP 348

Good spot man, I just watched a replay of them playing the American National Anthem.

Next year will mark Kirk's 30th anniversary with ESP guitars. So don't be surprised if we see a new "KH-30" guitar next year.

Guiguitarz

In fact, what is the last Kirk Signature from ESP (not LTD) ?! The Greenburst-2011 ? The DC-2012/13, 3 years without any serious issue from ESP, that will be great to see a new quality release. The KH-20 was a holy Grail (it still is) but the "30th Anniversary" was a joke .. 11 pieces worldwide for a Classic KH-2 Bolt-On with a simple graphic ... Hope for a nice KH-30 yes  ! With new EMGs loaded on it !

ESP 348

I am definitely hanging out for a new KH-30 guitar or something like that.

ESP 348

I had the same thoughts also and I agree with you, the DC didn't sell like hotcakes.

I hope they do something like the KH-20. Same classic KH style guitar, limited edition and fucken amazing!

And I hope I can get one too. Hehe

Guiguitarz

New video on the San Jose Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/SanJoseSharks/videos/10153840705267669/ 

It seems like he has both pickups upgraded.

NRudy
Guiguitarz wrote:

Hi guys,

You remember The Night Before Show, and the Custom EMG that Kirk fitted onto his Red Les Paul in the bridge position ?

That's right, in one of his standard Vintage he has for heating his fingers up, he has a new EMG Prototype at the neck (or JH ?) with plots. Don't know if he has a new one in the bridge position too ...

It's seems like we'll have new signature pickup over 2016 or 2017 

Cheers,

G.

hey G,

do u know what exact model this custom les paul gibson is,if so is it the same specs as kirks black or dark blue custom les paul it has like a diamond on the headstock and says gibson, how much is it new , and or used ? any reason he doesnt use the khdc ? or the esp's maybe the kh3 ? is this gibson that much better ?

im looking to buy 1 or create one on this model and spec it out mostly like kirks but with my own touch as the ones i have might be outdated but too heavy, im trying to get a les paul solidbody around 8 lbs or less the one kirk uses is closer to 11.8 lbs.

if anyone here knows about kirks custom gibsons especially the black or the one he uses for nothing else matters, when he plays that acoustic chords and little hang doodle thing then starts with the NEM intro i noticed it but the lights do funny things when your looking at it, i remeber it said gibson and i saw a red or orange 1 since concerts i went to in the 90s in montreal and over the world and hes use it for sanatarium and fade to black and nem got this black or dark blue and i remeber the headstock had a diamond shape logo i dont know much about gibsons i only have 4 of them and im trying to get a much lighter  and maybe thiner neck without going to a semi hollow or hollowbody which can get me down to 5 lbs. im just wondering if u can direct me to info on emg custom gibson that kirk uses speccs pricing used and new in the black or dark blue he always uses it for nothing else matters, also any idea of gibson makes a model that i can use most of kirks specs but add some of my own and i dont need the quilt, that makes it more expensive quilted or flame maple top... so i will research but if someone has an order sheet with a custom kirk hammett that he uses for metallica spec sheet and model base of the gtr that can link me too that would be great, and im wondering why hes not using the khdc models and why he retired the kh3 ?  also i think the band uses a line 6 g90 relay but who knows how they do it im sure its very more complicated... but does any1 know if they use that as the wireless ? it seems not correct as its not state of the art but i could be wrong james uses it it can be just for the microphones, if anyone knows info on that i have the line 6 g50 and g 30. wireless relay and lastly what cables or chords does kirk use ? im just trying to setup like my hero mr kirk the ripper hammett and when it comes to gibson i dont know much the few i have specced like him just have emgs and the colors i thought he used  and they were gifts so i never got into it.... i am very keen in PRS guitars like really any questions on that i can answer and im glad kirk didint sign with them cuz it would be a 20k guitar or more. any help from any1 would be awesome!

thanks

Nate

NRudy

does kirks gibsons have 24 frets ? floyd? emgs? and a thin u neck contour ? and if i buy 1 used with emgs the one with the diamond thingy on the headstock and then it says gibson say new or used in the color kirk uses for NEM where would i find a guitar like that cuz most gibson les pauls are that red orange yellow sunburst with the pickguard in every year from 50-65 or more i have no idea what makes them different and they are all the same color, whats kirks specs on the ones he uses for metallica ballads and NEM ? specs and what would it cost to get around new and or used ? that guitar sounds amazing especially that intro hes been playing for 8 years or so b4 nem....

Guiguitarz

Hey Nate,

Here's mine :

A Les Paul Custom from 1980, that I loaded up with EMGs 81/60, Schaller locking tuners and GOTOH Black StopBar and Tail piece. Fat and Clear sound, this is a beast. Same as Kirk.

I'm looking too for a nice Red Les Paul, I think I've found one.

NRudy

Do u know what model guitar this is from the original post n the color ?

Pushead
Guiguitarz wrote:

Hey Nate,

Here's mine :

A Les Paul Custom from 1980, that I loaded up with EMGs 81/60, Schaller locking tuners and GOTOH Black StopBar and Tail piece. Fat and Clear sound, this is a beast. Same as Kirk.

Actually, yours has a maple neck.  Kirk's has mahogany.  The 76-81/82 Les Pauls all had maple necks and the volute on the neck as a way to reduce problems Gibson was having with breaking necks and sourcing enough mahogany.  The top on yours also is far less arched than the 87 and later LPs.  Not sure exactly what happened during the 70s, but they're a style of their own.

Three of my Les Pauls are from the late 70s.  I like them, but they're slightly different animals than the era that Kirk's is from.

Guiguitarz

Are we sure about the year of Kirk's one ? It's foggy, cause I red that it's from 1969, sometimes I red 1989 ...? Maybe he has 2 of them ...?

BTW, whatever the material, I like it like that, it feels great, and it looks vintage 

Guiguitarz

Aaaahh Thank's B.

I need to trade my 1980 for a 1989 (My year of birth !), Pap has to buy mine, cause I have his year  ! Deal !

(Dunno why I went for a 1980 ... )

Pushead

@Pus do you know this for a fact? Not arguing as I have read the same thing before that the red one and trans black are '59s, but personally I always thought they were Class 5's. They very well could be '59s but I have never seen 59's in those colors.

I don't know for sure.  They could be Class 5, that would make sense.  They're not USA models, though.  The inlays are far too sharp to be USA production.  The Class 5s are also Custom Shop, but are severly weight-relieved.

Pushead

Nope, Class 5's have the rounded inlay tips as well.

Travis L.

Awesome pickups! Kirk tapes his hand because there's a groove on his hand that rubs the strings and it gets cut up. I heard it in an interview years ago. 

Guiguitarz

Too much satin finish  and Grover Tunings ...

ESP 348

Lol yep.

NRudy

Looks like a satin finish ? 

Whats a good deal on that ? 

I have no Gibson connections really n the only recent Gibson I got was the Kirk Hammett custom Flying V  

should I make an offer and I'll check if it's new what do u guys think it's worth? 

Also the satin finish is good for me since I sweat would this guitar be better than the ESP trucksters ? 

ESP 348

Looking forward to seeing pics of your KH collection Nate.

NRudy

the best i can do on short notice i have i think spinal stenosis but im getting a second opinion so i really cant carry much but here are some enjoy... all brand new never played but the kh2se is like new. the 2004 kh-2 custom shop top row 4 left to right is in excellent used condition the rest are brand new i never played them they sit since i purchased them with the string guard on top of the frets and only go out for setups to my guitar tech. a few kirk hammetts are missing here as i forgot a few and had no room and kh1 kh4 99 ouija  are in NJ home. the only KH guitar esp im missing is the khdc bc, which i sold recently as i have the more rare stblk. i took off the pickguard from it.

ESP 348

Thanks man, just saw these pics in the other thread.

Thanks heaps for sharing, very very cool collection.

I will get a pic of all mine together one day. I go on holidays next week for 3 weeks, so hopefully when I get back I will have some time to get it done and I will post them up here for all to see.

NRudy

Is kirks Gibson from the first few posts in ebony from the rack or custom Gibson shop and is it satin ? Like the one for sale on eBay the link ....

NRudy

eBay seller barius1211

has a few that look like kirks Gibson ebony les Paul which would u say is the closest 

I had 3 jh ESP trucksters grey n blk ones with emg 81/60 and blk with jh sig emgs I sold a black 1 

would the Gibson Les Paul on eBay sold by barius1211 sound clean tone wise better than the truckster the ones that say Kirk Hammett looks Satan finish n the 1998 ebony finish looks like kirks 

one is new the satin mod Kirk Hammett he wants $4000 or so

the other is used not sure on price

im still going through plus that's just 1 seller 

would the khdc sound better ? 

For the Metallica tone clean maybe that's answered by Kirk as for ballads he uses the Gibson ... I've hardly seen Kirk use the khdc in blk or BC maybe once during turn the page or a slide ? 

NRudy

dont have to buy from him but as log as i know 1988 or late 80s gibson usa color ebony les paul i can make it in to a kh guitar if i add,  black-hardware  screws all over the gtr...pickup rings, jack plate, truss rod cover, spretz tuners. etc.. is that what i should look for in the color ebony.

Post to Thread