Snakebyte fading

Updated
Snakebyte fading

I just purchased a 2011 ESP Snakebyte from a store off of reverb.com. It appeared to still look like new in the photos minus a small wear mark by the input jack. When I got it I was surprised it was actually already fading from a snow white finish to a cream color. The headstock is still bright white.

Has anyone else experienced this with theirs already? I realize it is to be expected but I figured it would be doing this about 10-15 years or so down the road. Anybody figured out a way to restore it back closer to the original color? 

Breadfan32

I'm also looking forward to my white iron cross to change colour.  I prefer the vintage white over the Snow White plus it shows some character.  

Some guitars however would look better remaining Snow White such as the white ouija.  

ESP 348

The vintage white look on the Iron Cross would be cool!!

A vintage white Ouija would not be cool. Lol

Big Daddy B
ESP 348 wrote:

I would reconsider the white ouija display too. Treat it like a vampire and take it out at night only! LOL

Lol, don't worry. I might have to take that into consideration man!

I had a good look at the pics of my original 98 black Ouija and the white writing has turned yellowish on the black finish. Probably doing the same thing. It looks pretty cool, but the thought of having my white re-issue Ouija turning yellow is a little bit scary.

I think the graphics on all the black ESP Ouijas look like this. Even my 2009 black one has a bit of a tint to it. Could be from the clearcoat, although didn't the old one have that yellowish glow in the dark paint? The LTD Ouija the graphics are kind of silvery.

ESP 348

Cheers Big D, you are possibly right there mate.

I think some of the very first ones had the glow in the dark paint *Tritium paint*, not too sure that mine did.

But you never know I guess, it could have.

AK

As far as I know you cannot order certain guitars from the ESP custom shop (like Iron Cross, Mummy, Ouija etc.), right? But if you already have, say a white ouija, and it is fading, can you send it to the custom shop for a re-paint I wonder?

ESP 348

Do you mean a re-paint under 'warranty' AK?

Does ESP offer a warranty on their guitars by any chance?

rlhjr34

I would doubt it. It's sort of a natural thing for white guitars. I suppose if it did under Warranty though? That would be a pretty fast aging though. I guess if you baked it under a heat lamp all day it could get there that fast. Or if you live here in Texas leave it out in the Summer sun. Same difference. LOL

ESP 348

Lol, glad I keep mine locked away then. It's 40c+ here daily through the 4-5 months of the year. Lol.

AK

I was actually wondering if you would just pay them.

rlhjr34

I'm not sure if they'd do it. It would be worthwhile to ask though. I am in the minority from most and prefer mine to still look bright white though. 

boogie20

When I had my white ESP snakebyte, it started changing color within a year.

ESP 348

I bet they wouldn't re-paint it even if you paid cash. But there are plenty of people that could replicate that quality ESP finish on these guitars.

rlhjr34

For those still interested in this topic. I have an update. So last Friday I returned the guitar to the store I bought it from through reverb. That store is 115 miles from my house and also in Texas. I sent it two day priority mail, insured and sig required too. As of right now after several phone calls it can not be found. The last tracking update was from the same day it was dropped off. None since. This may be the single most annoying guitar purchase ever for me. I just wanted my cash back to move on. LOL

tx-ogre

Who did you buy it from?  I live in the Austin area so I'm just curious.

rlhjr34

Mundt Music. In Longview. Very nice people to deal with. I really have zero beef with them. They're not even an ESP dealer and had gotten it on trade.

tx-ogre
rlhjr34 wrote:

Mundt Music. In Longview. Very nice people to deal with. I really have zero beef with them. They're not even an ESP dealer and had gotten it on trade.

Thanks for the response.  We have several great local guitar shops here, but I like to hear about out of town shops that are worth visiting when I'm traveling.

rlhjr34

Oh up this way there are some good ones. The best one in Dallas area I've been to so far is The Guitar Sanctuary. Really amazing place. I went to a tone lounge seminar there last summer with Randall Smith. Then in October they had the Lamb of God guys there doing a session. Cool events there often, but an amazing show room. 

I met the owner of a store there at the event that has a small shop out in Canton, TX called RNA music. Ryan is his name. He has a youtube channel and a small store, but a very cool guy and very cool people and stuff there. Just don't go during their town's monthly flea market. Ha! Unless you're married. Then drop the wife off, let her shop and then she can't complain when you buy stuff at RNA. That's my philosophy anyhow. I'll let you know if it works out or not! LOL

tx-ogre

Holy moly!  I Googled First Monday Trade Event in Canton, TX and my wife would be like a shark on a feeding frenzy there.  (She could get lost for days at Round Top twice a year.)  The bad part is, there probably won't be enough room in my F-150 for all her goodies and mine. I will have to seriously consider getting a utility trailer to bring everything back.  I knew I had a towing package for a reason...ha ha!

I have a friend who relocated to the Tyler area with his wife (native to the area) so we will probably make a road trip to visit them in the future.  I'll let you know how it works out.

rlhjr34

Haha! Yep! You would need an 18 wheeler to haul all of the flea market goodies. It's the largest market in the country. I warned you Bro! LOL!

I haven't been out to it yet but I certainly have heard all about it. Definitely let me know your thoughts on it. I'll do the same if I hit it before you. F-150 eh? You got to be a good dude. Drive an F-150 and play ESP guitars! Right on! 

ESP 348

Sorry to hear mate, is the Snakebyte still missing in action???

rlhjr34

Hey! It made it finally! Woohoo! I got my refund and have gone with Black. Eh, they've gone to satin now so my gloss will be rarer right? And it matches my KH2's better. Ok, maybe not my green one!

rlhjr34

Yep! I am going with black now since I don't really want a vintage guitar until it is well, vintage?! LOL

ESP 348

Lol, great to hear man!

Post to Thread