Snakebyte fading

Updated
Snakebyte fading

I just purchased a 2011 ESP Snakebyte from a store off of reverb.com. It appeared to still look like new in the photos minus a small wear mark by the input jack. When I got it I was surprised it was actually already fading from a snow white finish to a cream color. The headstock is still bright white.

Has anyone else experienced this with theirs already? I realize it is to be expected but I figured it would be doing this about 10-15 years or so down the road. Anybody figured out a way to restore it back closer to the original color? 

muhammad anwar

Japanese guitar what do you expect? I think my carvin jason becker usa is way better quality than esp guitar in terms of price point

rlhjr34

I know it's to be expected with all white guitars eventually. I don't know any history behind this paticular one. It was bought used from a music store. 

I think it may be safe to assume the original owner(s) probably didn't keep it in the case when it wasn't played. For that matter maybe it was left in room exposed to direct sunlight. We do get plenty of that here in the Lonestar State!

ESP 348

Stragne though that the headstock is still bright white.

Any pics of the guitar please?

rlhjr34

It may not show up quite as well in the puctures as it does in person. I think these pics should show what I'm talking about though? It comes off as more off white in person.

rlhjr34

rlhjr34

rlhjr34

rlhjr34

Actually these pics slightly worsen the effect. 

rlhjr34

rlhjr34

I am returning it. I will look around for another option. 

BlackJack21

It has nothing to do with it being a Japanese guitar. Fading on white guitars has to do with how much light has been put on it. If it was under a spotlight or something, then over time that one area where the light was will make that darker than the rest. For example, a few years ago I ordered one of the prototype black ouija's from Studio Gears which apparently hung in one of the VP's office at ESP for several years. When I got it, the white ouija graphic was severely light burned in certain areas because wherever it hung the light source was more focus on those areas so the burn was uneven throughout the entire graphic. Needless to say I returned it. So just a tip for any future white guitar purchases, keep it out of the light as much as possible because eventually white fades over time.

rlhjr34

That's exactly my thoughts too Blackjack21. I was just surprised at the patina on a guitar that isn't even 5 years old yet according to the build date. It must have been left outside or something? I don't recall seeing others mention running into this issue with theirs this soon. I know exactly which Ouija you're talking about. I considered it for myself too at one point. Interesting to hear about the sun fading condition on the sticker. I'm not as surprised by that since it is what about 17 years old now? 

ESP 348

I can definitely see the colour difference in the pic showing the full guitar. Very strange indeed.

I was going to put both my black and white Ouijas on display one day, but I am starting to think otherwise now.

rlhjr34

I love the white too. I'm now reconsidering my repurchase and thinking about black instead. The trouble is my budget only allows for me to go with the used market. The new prices are just too far out of my reach this year. I am going to owe Uncle Sam this year so the extra guitar funds will have to wait. At any rate I was aware of the way white fades over time. I have purused an MX220 EET FUK or MX250 for a long time. I know unless there are the reissues from Japan and they're certainly no longer appear anything like white. I just was caught off guard with this one. It was bought via pictures online. When it arrived I thought it was the lighting in my room. Nope. So it was returned today. Once the refund is processed back on my card my shopping will continue. I guess the big red flag should have been the shop's pictures were all taken outside on a sidewalk in front of the store. Lesson learned. 

ESP 348

It's all good mate. Lesson learned alright. A black Snakebyte would be cool!

I totally understand when buying used you are limited as to what is available at the time for sale.

A friend is selling an MX250 here in Australia. Looks to be still white in his pics, but he said the colour is vintage white/really yellow snow white.

He listed it here on the forum also for sale around 4 months ago.

If you're still keen on it, let me know and I will get onto him to see if it's still available.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Esp-Mx-250-/121812155552?nma=true&si=zVD6rSnyKHCRuE%252Bc7AmOogiIfeg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.espguitars.com/forums/1963224/posts/2080402-vintage-white-mx-250

Cheers Pap

rlhjr34

You've got my attention sir! That looks pretty darn nice. My interest is piqued for sure.

ESP 348
rlhjr34 wrote:

You've got my attention sir! That looks pretty darn nice. My interest is piqued for sure.

Hi mate,

Just talked to my friend and he said he has decided to keep it.

Sorry to get your hopes up, I should have contacted him first before I made mention of it.

If he changes his mind anytime soon though, I will be sure to let you know.

rlhjr34

I would reconsider the white ouija display too. Treat it like a vampire and take it out at night only! LOL

Big Daddy B
rlhjr34 wrote:

I would reconsider the white ouija display too. Treat it like a vampire and take it out at night only! LOL

One of the reasons I sold mine. I didn't like having to keep it in a case all the time instead of out on a stand. I do keep my white strat out all the time though but it's a fender and that's different. A yellow strat looks vintage. A yellow Ouija just looks old!

ProfessorExp

I love the aged patina look. Snow White is too bright. After reading this thread, I'm going to get a spotlight for my white Iron Cross! Here's my LTD EXP vs a newer Epiphone '84 Explorer I used to have.

Nathan S.

If you ever decide to part with that white EXP200, you let me know.

ProfessorExp
Nathan S. wrote:

If you ever decide to part with that white EXP200, you let me know.

Only when I can afford an MX lol

Nathan S.

Lol, ok well keep saving those pennies. Pretty sure the MX'S will always be beyond my reach of what I can realistically spend on one guitar. So I gotta go with the next best thing. Plus I have the black one and would really like her sister too. Unfortunately, a white MX is easier to find than a white EXP200 

ProfessorExp
Nathan S. wrote:

Lol, ok well keep saving those pennies. Pretty sure the MX'S will always be beyond my reach of what I can realistically spend on one guitar. So I gotta go with the next best thing. Plus I have the black one and would really like her sister too. Unfortunately, a white MX is easier to find than a white EXP200 

Yeah, same here on all points. 

ESP 348
rlhjr34 wrote:

Lol, don't worry. I might have to take that into consideration man!

I had a good look at the pics of my original 98 black Ouija and the white writing has turned yellowish on the black finish. Probably doing the same thing. It looks pretty cool, but the thought of having my white re-issue Ouija turning yellow is a little bit scary.

Post to Thread