For Sale (Auction Ended)=> ESP KH-2 'The MUMMY'

Updated
For Sale (Auction Ended)=> ESP KH-2 'The MUMMY'

Here we are, I've putted my Mummy on eBay today :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-KH-2-NTB-039-The-MUMMY-039-Custom-Shop-/252274732257?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Let's Auction !

You know me, you know my collection, and entire desciption is in the auction ...

I think I can do a discount for any of my friends on this forum 

See ya,

G.

BlackJack21

Good luck with your auction man! Though I think the price is a little steep considering it's a decal and not painted on. Normally neck-thru KH-2's with the Mummy decal run for $3200 on ebay. So with the painted neck and inlays I would say around $5000 or so is a more reasonable price for it.

Guiguitarz

Hi BlackJack21,

I heard that a Mummy went for $7,500 few years ago. A bad one, no inlays and dirty paint ... My guitar is priceless ... If you want what I got at the Custom Shop from ESP, you will need more than 16k$. Mine is not Bolt-On, not LTD, inlays are real, and the graphic work is perfect. Let's try. Thanks for your feedback BTW.

Dave R.

That is no decal on Kirk's, it is a highly detailed hand painted graphic. Substantially more detailed than the graphic that appears on your replica and quite impressive if you were to view it up close. Just wanted to clarify.

Guiguitarz

I've discuss with people, even with the only official "ESP Custom Shop" Distributor in Paris, and they told me that the Kirk's Mummies (5 of them) were made with decals, for reproductibility and fine details (that you CAN'T reach with painting, trust me, I've colaborate on my Bride and my White Zombie ... which are hand painted).

And by the way, find me something comparable  ... We'll discuss then.

Pushead
Guiguitarz wrote:

And by the way, find me something comparable  ... We'll discuss then.

Not to be disagreeable, but let me just say that if anyone here on the board knows what's actually on Kirk's guitar, it's Dave.

Guiguitarz

I didn't know who was Dave... Now I know, and now I know which person I can trust about ESP guitars. Thanks.

ESPEXP
Guiguitarz

Ok ... I maybe lift off a bit on the price ... But guys ... It's easy to build guitars with numbers  and additions $ + $ + $ ... Find me something comparable. Have you already seen a replica of this kind ? I don't think so. I've traveled, I've wait, I've got gut to buy a NTB KH-2 and make it looks like the original.

And your decal is a very ugly one, take a look carefully before thinking mine is one of this kind of cheap taiwan printing ...

Pushead

Not to ruin anyone's parade, but when I bought (and later sold) my normal bolty KH-2 with the Mummy graphic, I bought for $1100 and sold for $1150.

Just FYI.  As always, YMMV.  Please consult a physician before any guitar related activities.  Try the veal.

Guiguitarz

Ok guys, I didn't want to loose friends here, calm down. We're here to discuss.

My mistake, price is lowered, I took into acccount your advices. 

ESP 348

Your guitar is amazing man!! Everything about it is very cool and I was very tempted to make an offer....................but I won't.

Only because this guitar still has the 3x pots on it. If you went to the trouble to have the tone pot removed *and filled* and placed the two volume pots in the correct place then this guitar would have been near perfect!

Everything else looks well done, those inalys are amazing the black finish looks the goods. It's just those 3 little knobs. Lol

I am going to eventually have a Mummy guitar made myself. Or hopefully someone will do it properly and I buy theirs.

I am going to order a new black custom shop NTB with only 2x volume knobs and a bare fretboard from ESP. Might even see if they can paint the back of the neck from new, I am sure they can if you pay the extra.

I am then going to send the guitar to an airbrush expert to have the Mummy airbrushed onto it.  Then I will have the inlays done by an expert. The guy whom did yours might be the go!

Can you please share his details with us or send me a PM if you don't mind. I would be more than happy to use the guys you went with for these inlays.

My Mummy guitar will probably cost me $15K to $20K by the time I am done ordering a custom shop guitar and having it shipped all over the world for this airbrushing and inlay work to be performed.

But it's all good as it will be one of very few in the world or possibly the only one in the world that is exactly the same as Kirks' Mummy guitar.

This guy named Svee would be the go to paint the Mummy. I saw this video years ago, but he took it down. He has put it up again but will not airbrush the Mummy guitar for anyone.

There would be many others out there in the world that are just as good as Svee if not better than can do this airbrush job for me.

Guiguitarz

I've seen this paintjob years ago too, I found it ugly. Really. It's a unique piece, of course, but my decal still better in term of details and "looks like" Kirk's one. And the job is "perfect".

I know of course for the 3 knobs issue ...  I fixed that on my Bride and on my next project (Which is the Dracula, you've guessed it ...).

I've already contacted the Custom Shop for a base, with inlays, with my own drawings (Which you can't find anywhere, so good luck to find them ;-) => That's an extra-value on the guitar ... I maybe spent 10 or 15 hours of drawing for the inlays ...). And they was like $5.500 for a Custom M-II with Inlays without paint job.

Then you'd buy a 16k guitar and sold it to whom ? huh ?! No one so far is able to put 5k$ on a GOOD replica, you think someone will put 3 times my price for a knob issue ?! You will have, and keep a "MORE GOOD" replica ...

You know what ... I've putted a huge price last nite cause in fact .. I don't really want to sell it, I've spent hours, and $ on it ... But my life is changing, I need money, I wait for a collector who wants a great and unique piece.

ESP 348

Hello man,

A little hard to understand your post, but I think I know what you're saying for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I love your guitar. The fact that it was a decal with clear over it didn't bother me. The inlays are perfect but the 3x knobs is what I don't want on that guitar if it were mine. If you put 2x knobs on it in the correct place I would made an offer on it, that I can assure you.

Good to hear you did it correctly with the Bride and now the Dracula. It's a very small, but a very important detail. Putting the correct inlays on the guitar already puts your guitar a step above the rest. I have not seen another for sale like it, with the exception of the airbrushed Mummy that was an exactly replica of Kirk's listed for $50K some time ago. Apparently that was a legit Mummy made for Kirk by ESP, but I don't know about that.

There is nothing wrong with your price at all, it's your guitar and if you want to sell it for 5000 Euro then that is perfectly ok with me. I wish you all the best with the sale.

In regards to the guitar I am going to have airbrushed, it doesn't matter what I spend on it as I have NO intention of ever selling it. Just like the rest of my guitars. I will keep them for as long as I can or pass them onto my children or grandchildren if they want them.

If they don't want them, then I will sell them in around 50 yrs from now. Lol

As with anything unique, you will just have to wait for the right buyer to come along to buy this guitar. It's really cool man and I am sure you will eventually sell it.

I would keep it if I were you seeing as you put so much time and effort into but, but things change in life and I can understand that.

Wish you all the best with it mate and thanks for sharing here on the forum.

ESP 348
AK wrote:

Very nice looking guitar. Here is one that sold earlier this year:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ESP-KH-2-Neck-Thru-NTB-Kirk-Hammett-Guitar-Mummy-/151879225348?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=QhwCQ7wRCWrkPYnrRy6zyL89qjA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

The decals around the EMG's looks horrible. Otherwise very nice, but still huge bucks for an ESP NTB with a Mummy decal in my opinion.

The one for sale here looks like it was done a little nicer overall I think. And the price reflects this. Lol

BlackJack21

ESP won't make them because they make more money selling the LTDs, and Kirk probably has issues with selling certain models to the public anyway. The reason why the limited KH models go up in value because they are limited (KH-20, Ouija's etc.), and 100% authentic ESP custom shop, but the key word there is LIMITED. That's what most collectors want, or what determines the value. Your mummy is not limited since you can keep making them theoretically, and who wants custom work done from some unknown luthier in France? It's like me making a Lamborghini replica and trying to sell it. Yea it might look just like it, but at the end of the day it's not a Lamborghini and no one will pay Lamborghini prices. You know what I mean? That's why you see all those fake KL's and explorers on ebay and no one really cares about them. Just like everything, supply and demand runs the market.

Breadfan32

Well said!

load more replies (2 of 2)
Dave R.

Guiguitarz wrote

made with decals, for reproductibility and fine details (that you CAN'T reach with painting, trust me, I've colaborate on my Bride and my White Zombie ... which are hand painted).

This is incorrect. All of Kirks's Mummies were hand-painted by artists at the ESP Custom Shop. Highly detailed hand work. There is no such thing as 'details that you can't reach with painting', again, the work done on his Mummy is substantially more detailed than any decal I've seen. It's not just airbrushing, it's a combination of techniques. Not to say a comparable decal can't be made as was done with the production White Zombie, it just has never been done with the Mummy, if you are comparing side by side which is all I am doing.

The Bride was hand painted as well as the White Zombie. And the detail on that Bride...

Guiguitarz

Hi Dave,

You are definitly right. Thanks for sharing the info you've got. My White Zombie and my Bride are also hand-painted and my painter also use combination of techniques for texts and characters ... I showed him my Mummy and he said to me that some text details will be hard (but still possible) to make.

With hindsight ... I really don't know how could I've trusted that fact that Kirk's Mummies were decals ... .

Pushead

I wish I could find the video of Mark Ryden painting the "Devil Girl" M1.  I could have sworn Mark posted it on his YouTube, but I can't find it anymore.

Shaun

Oh are you the guy I followed the other day on Instagram?

Why the hell would you sell that

Guiguitarz

Yes, I'm the guy : 

https://www.instagram.com/guiguitarz/

And I'm not going to sell it ...

ESP 348

Kirk's Mummy guitars have definitely been painted. The artists name was all over this forum many many years ago. I forget it now, but probably won't be hard to do a search and look for it.

And I agree with Big Daddy, as good as he was, he cannot make each Mummy EXACTLY the same. Anything hand made will have it's very small differences. I.E-Colour in this case as mentioned by Big D.

Either way, you have a great Mummy guitar man. I still think it's the best copy out there by the looks of your pics and those inlays. Everyone does it, but no one has those inlays made, they all have the standard Skulls & Crossbone inlays.

Wishing you all the best with it, hopefully it goes to a good home.

Guiguitarz

Hi everyone,

You know what, all that noise arround my auction, price, rumors, facts ... Makes me thinking that I should keep it.

Why ? -> 'Cause getting all that guitars, that I've seen on the hands of Kirk, since nearly 20 years now ... The ones you CAN'T buy, one day I told to myself "I will have them", and today, I get them, the ones people don't want to modifiy or customized ... My 1980 Les Paul Custom, with Kirk's specs, some will say "Oh My ****, look what he've done on that 3k$ Les Paul Custom, that's a shame ..." but no => That's a dream. Exactly the same for my Mummy, and all my other customs. I took Guenuine ESP KH or M-II and made them look like I wanted to.

Those guitars are priceless to my eyes .. because I spent hours, and days, looking at the great base, modifying them, road to painter, luther, redaction of technical files, drawing inlays ... They are mine and unique. And I love music, I love great instruments, I love ESP guitars and I love Metallica and seeing Kirk plays. I'll keep making custom guitars and get the ones no-one can buy. And I'll keep looking at them hanging on my wall, and keep saying to myself "These are great instruments, not chinese wood, not LTDs, and hard handcrafted jobs on them to make them look like the ones I dreamt of ".

Thank y'all for sharing your feelings about this guitar. Always a pleasure to discuss about our common passion.

Have a good day friends,

Guillaume.

ESP 348

I think you made the right choice keeping it in the end Guillaume.

It's a fantastic guitar, along with the rest of your Kirk Hammett collection.

I am really digging the black LP you have modelled after Kirk's LP. Looks great in your Instagram pics.

I want to do the same, but to an 1980 LP as that was my birth year. I am thinking it would be cool to own a guitar that is as old as I am and what better guitar out there than a black Les Paul to do this. Hehe

You definitely have the passion for Metallica, ESP and Kirk Hammett guitars. Thanks for sharing with us and I hope you have a great weekend mate.

Guiguitarz

Thanks ESP 348 for your answer 

You know that my LP Custom IS A 1980 ....?  ...

ESP 348

Is it?? I thought I saw in one of your comments that was from the 90's?

It's an awesome guitar, that's for sure. Have you got a thread with more pics of it?

Or can you post some here please. Or send me a link online so I can see more of it please.

Guiguitarz

You got nearly all my greatest pics on my @guiguitarz Instagram, and I tried to mention each time its year : 1980  , Original pickups are Tim Shaw from 1979.

Would you be interested one day to make me an offer for it ? 

ESP 348

Thank you for the pics, I must have misunderstood the comments when I thought this guitar was from the 90's.

My apologies, it looks fantastic!

I will send you a PM as I do have a few questions about this guitar thank you.

ESP 348

I just looked in your profile to send you a PM and I saw you were chasing a KH3?

Are you still chasing one? A guy on Ebay Australia just sold a KH3 bolt on neck with two small chips in the paint for AU $1025 or US $750. Someone got a steal in my opinon!

I paid AU $5600 or US $4025 for my new bolt on neck KH3 back in 2006.

Here is the original listing, if the deal falls through and he relists it again do you want me to let you know?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ESP-KH-3-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Custom-Guitar-/262256659002?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zVD6rSnyKHCRuE%252Bc7AmOogiIfeg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Post to Thread