JAMES HETFIELD New Sig !! => The Vulture !

Updated
JAMES HETFIELD New Sig !! => The Vulture !

Breaking news from NAMM Show guys !! 

Here's the new V from ESP, The VULTURE :

More pics to come I hope, feel free to feed the post with !

G.

Breadfan32

I'm personally glad the Vulture replaced the Gibson V for battery.  I'm assuming he's going to be using the Vulture for all the songs he used the Gibson V for.  I hope that's the case.  Not of fan of Gibson and not a fan of the Gibson Flying V.  

ESP 348
Breadfan32 wrote:

I'm personally glad the Vulture replaced the Gibson V for battery.  I'm assuming he's going to be using the Vulture for all the songs he used the Gibson V for.  I hope that's the case.  Not of fan of Gibson and not a fan of the Gibson Flying V.  

+1

I hate V's!! Never liked them, ever!!

I have a KH1, I absolutely hate it and have only played it once since buying it back in late 2011.

Mark P.

I really like Gibson style V's, guess that's why the Vulture is taking a while to grow on me. 

EDIT: Messaged EMG about the mystery Kirk pickup, they replied saying it is a variant of the Het Set made when they were prototyping the Het Set. Guess Kirk is either testing it out or needed a quick replacement and it was lying around. 

Nathan S.
Mark P. wrote:

I really like Gibson style V's, guess that's why the Vulture is taking a while to grow on me. 

EDIT: Messaged EMG about the mystery Kirk pickup, they replied saying it is a variant of the Het Set made when they were prototyping the Het Set. Guess Kirk is either testing it out or needed a quick replacement and it was lying around. 

I am the same, I love the classic explorer and v body shapes. I like the way ESP built them though before Gibson sued them, as far as control layout and lacking pickguards. I am not a fan of neither the Snakebyte nor this new turkey buzzard.

ESP 348

Very prompt reply from EMG Mark, thanks for sharing man.

Guiguitarz
Mark P. wrote:

+1 

Thanks a lot Mark 

Big Daddy B
ESP 348 wrote:

+1

I hate V's!! Never liked them, ever!!

I have a KH1, I absolutely hate it and have only played it once since buying it back in late 2011.

Is ur KH1 neck thru?

ESP 348

Hi Big D, nah man. My KH1 has a bolt on neck.

I saw a NTB KH1 for sale a few years ago in the US at the Guitar Centre I think from memory. They wanted US $2700 for it, but it was not in mint condition.

So I was not interested in it, even though I could have it had restored or repaired. The thought of paying those dollars for a badly chipped guitar didn't excite me.

Here is a pic of my guitar, just because I love posting pics.

frantic77

I miss my bolty kh-1.was an amazing instrument

ESP 348

Lol, I reckon they look cool but hate the feel playing them. Again, I only played my KH1 once when I got it, but have played other V's in the past and never liked them.

The KH2 is extremely hard to beat IMO! Especially the NTB Ouija, Vintage or KH20. Hehe

rlhjr34

ESP 348, 

Since you are a fellow KH2 Vintage and SE owner. Do you find them to have different tone? My SE seems much brighter to me compared to the Vintage. Is it just me? Is it the same for others too? 

ESP 348
rlhjr34 wrote:

ESP 348, 

Since you are a fellow KH2 Vintage and SE owner. Do you find them to have different tone? My SE seems much brighter to me compared to the Vintage. Is it just me? Is it the same for others too? 

Hi mate,

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days with the family.

They have a different tone, yes. The SE seems brighter, yes. But I think the Vintage has a more aggressive tone and it has some amazing sustain!! The sustain on my Vintage goes forever! I like the Vintage tone better than the SE.

I absolutely love the Vintage, has to be the best heavy metal guitar ever made IMO.

rlhjr34
ESP 348 wrote:

No worries. My reply back was even later than yours! LOL 

I agree 100% on the differences. The Vintage is my absolute favorite playing guitar I've ever owned. If I mess around it's the first one I gravitate to. I just had my SE serviced and it improved the tone a lot. There was an issue with the ground wire on the tone pot and it impacted the tone. I had bought my recent SE used. Apparently that and an overdue battery swap out were a good majority of the reason it sounded differently. Still even now the Vintage sounds warmer, more agressive and that fret board makes my fingers fly. You are also 100% dead on about it being the best Heavy Metal guitar ever I believe it too! 

Charalampos N.

Can anyone please answer some questions I have regarding mr. Hammett's guitars(?)

Does any of his Ouija guitars have an ebony fretboard, if yes which one?

Moreover buying a guitar with ebony fretboard will sound differently than one with rosewood or the difference is subtle than only trianed ears can say the diffrence, will it have an impact on sound generally?

Lastly as for aesthetics( i mean appearance i do ont know if i express it the right way in english) does ebony fretboard have different colour than rosewood, i mean is it an obvious one like saying for example rosewood-maple(there we have an obvious difference for example in appearance/colour)or similar?

Thanks to everyone!

Guiguitarz

Hi Charalampos,

Yes, the 2009 batch of Ouijas Black and White have ebony fingerboards, and mirror inlays. Unlike the '90 series have rosewood fretboards and mother of pearl (or acrylic ?!) inlays. 

Ebony, as rosewood can have color variation of course but still in the pink/brown/black tones. 

Hope it helps. 

Cheers,

G. 

Big Daddy B

KH20 also has ebony. It is a harder wood so any tonal difference, however minimal, should be more focus whereas rosewood will sound more sparkly. Ebony is darker, sometimes dyed, and feels smoother like maple because there are less pores. Rosewood typically has a dustier feeling. Both are nice. I prefer rosewood or pau ferro which is a variant. Stevie ray vaughn  strats usually have pau ferro. Hammett had it on his Tom Andersons. It's a type of Brazilian rosewood in my understanding though not sure how accurate that statement is. I had a 99 anderson with a Madagascar rosewood board that was very reddish. I think nowadays most rosewood is of the East Indian variety. Also I have a 2013 khdc from japan where the rosewood is a very pale light cocoa color, almost like a granadillo or roasted maple.

ESP 348

All great answers in regards to the Ebony fretboards!

The KH20 and Ouija reissue both have very dark Ebony fretboards and they feel as smooth as glass.

I love them both, the look and the feel of them. Definitely my favourite fretboard on my KH guitars.

Big Daddy B

One thing I would add. My ebony boards seem to be more sensitive to humidty drops than my rosewood fretboards. Something to consider if you live in an arid climite like myself.

ESP 348

Lucky I live in a bone dry enviroment out here in the desert.

I just bought a new bottle of Dunlop 65 lemon oil fretboard oil while on holidays. No particular reason why I bought that brand other than the shop assistant reccommending it. Has a cool ittle applicator tab on top of it, so it will be very easy to do.

Going to waste the day *when I have a spare day to waste* and oil all the fretboards on my guitars.

Might even get some pics of all the guitars together then also. I don't have pics with the KH20 or DC together with the rest of them.

tx-ogre

Another good product for fretboards is Gerlitz Guitar Honey.  When I was living in Tucson, a guitar tech friend of mine recommended it for the desert climate there.  It's all I've ever used.

ESP 348

I have used that in the past, yes. Very good product! I was hoping to get the same the other day, but they didn't stock it unfortunately. Only the Dunlop stuff, so I guess something is better than nothing in this case.

Post to Thread