ESP KH-2 NTB

Updated
ESP KH-2 NTB

hi i would like to know is there any difference in quality,material use and specs of esp kh-2 ntb SS and K serial number? custom shop and standard series...

or its just marketing strategy to price custom K series higher than standard series?in fact it has the same build, wood quality and hardware?

Pushead

I've been told that a custom shop guitar build is overseen (and mostly completed by) a single luthier, whereas the standard shop guitars are built as part of a production line.

RZK

The SS on a KH2 NTB stands for "Signature Series" not "Standard Series."

From what I understand, the "K" and "SS" prefix Signature guitars are exactly the same thing, but otherwise what Pushead stated is true.

Pushead

Good call.  I keep forgetting that the Kirk sigs all have a K prefix.

muhammad anwar

this the e-mail i received from ESP

muhammad anwar

Pushead

I suppose the difference we're quacking about is how the K is shown in the serial number.  A "normal" standard style KH guitar is like this:

Whereas a Custom Shop produced (in the Kiso shop) serial number is like this:

For guitars made in before 2014, the Custom Shop made instruments are typically considered a better instrument.  I couldn't define what exactly is different, but a previous member of the board who (claimed) had inside info said the Custom Shop instruments were made by a single builder.

Otherwise, "normal" or Signature Series guitars were production line made instruments.  I don't know if the KH guitars ever got serial numbers with the SS at the front, but my old 2005 Truckster had one.

muhammad anwar

My 2013 kh-2 ntb

Pushead

Yeah, that's a normal Standard Series (or Signature Series) KH-2.  Made in the production line (in 2013) with the rest of the Standard Series guitars.

muhammad anwar

Yes standard series but neck thru.... Now you have to custom order for signature series model and no more standard series for signature models... And more expensive

muhammad anwar

Unless you can get new old stock year 2013 and below or used....2014 onwards is custom shop model

Big Daddy B

Based on what I know and have seen....

1. The SS in the serial number does stand for Standard Series as the Signature Series was made at the Standard Series factory

2. Is there a difference? Minimal but yes. If you look at the Kiso models versus the SS models, there are small differences like the black plates are recessed versus surface mount. Usually the nuts are better fitting. In general, just seems to be more attention to detail.

I would disagree with the statement above that there was a slight increase in price in the US made in the ESP email. For example, the KH-DC went from a street price of around $1999 to $4999. 

RZK

I have a 2006 Kiso made RZK-1. It does appear to be of a slightly higher quality than the normal Signature Series models. I was confused about where the signature guitars were made, as the burnt finish RZK guitars were finished in the custom shop.

All of them, however are of exceptional quality, and most of the perception of the CS being better than the SS, I believe, is primarily placebo. My Kiso RZK does have a nicer finish, the binding is a bit neater, but overall, not much of a difference.

In a blind test, I would not be able to tell them apart.

muhammad anwar

The bolt nut of kh custom and SS series is the same like what i see.... Bolt nut lock smaller than the neck with extra space on both sides

muhammad anwar

Dont believe me? Anyone with kh custom can post their bolt nut picture to show what i say is true

Big Daddy B

I believe you. That is what I have on my KH-2 SE which is a SS serial. all 3 of my Kiso KH models (vintage, 2009 Ouija, KH-20), the nut fits perfectly. I owned 2 kh-2 SE's and both had the narrow nut.

Post to Thread