OUIJA versions: ESP vs LTD vs old Bolt-on

Updated
OUIJA versions: ESP vs LTD vs old Bolt-on

Hello, Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there are three commercially sold KH-2 OUIJA versions? The old late 90's bolt-on, the '09 Neck-thru and the LTD version. Does the old bolt-on OUIJA had a rosewood or ebony fingerboard? Or only the '09 version have a ebony fingerboard?

As for the LTD, from what I know (of course I can be wrong) it have a Korean made Floyd Rose bridge and tuners and rosewood fingerboard instead of gotoh and German made Floyd rose and ebony fingerboard. Besides that, anything else is the same ok a neck-thru ESP KH-2? I mean, same sizes, same body wood quality, etc?

I'm actually trying to know if buying a LTD neck-thru Ouija and eventually upgrade its hardware is a better choice in therms of sound quality than buying a regular bolt-on KH-2. I always wanted to buy a KH-2 vintage someday due to its neck-thru construction but I saw a LTD Ouija for a very good price in my country and I wonder if it worth against a regular KH-2.

SteelEdge

Old bolt on Ouijas have rosewood fingerboards.And they are way better than a regular KH-2 from the same period (I've had 4 Ouijas from the 90's, still have one).Also own a 2009 Limited White Ouija, that's the only one with ebony fingerboard (along with the same yea black one)...but that's a totally different beast.

Woods, craftmanship, finish, and of course playability is far superior in a 90's Ouija (and even in a regular bolt on KH2) than in a LTD Ouija.

Guijs

Thanks for the info! And between a 90's bolt-on Ouija and a today's KH-2 Vintage Neck-Thru, which one sounds better? Are they comparable in terms of wood, craftmanship, playability, etc?

SteelEdge
Guijs wrote:

Thanks for the info! And between a 90's bolt-on Ouija and a today's KH-2 Vintage Neck-Thru, which one sounds better? Are they comparable in terms of wood, craftmanship, playability, etc?

Well...I also own a KH-2 Relic (owned 2 of them, keep one) and also owned a KH-2 Vintage.

No matter what other people think, but to me, and IMHO, the Relic is FAR SUPERIOR to a KH-2 Vintage...not the same guitar, not the same weight, not the same finish.You can bet on that!

In terms of sound/playability, the KH2 Vintage would be in the same league than the 90's Ouija....more sustain in the Vintage maybe, more dynamics/punch in the Ouija I'd say.The Relic is better than both in every way, and the 2009 Ouija is WAY FAR SUPERIOR to all of them.

Big Daddy B

Not to hijack the thread but Steel Edge, which # is your white Ouija? I own #7.

SteelEdge
Big Daddy B wrote:

Not to hijack the thread but Steel Edge, which # is your white Ouija? I own #7.

Mine is #23

Big Daddy B

To the OP, just based on personal opinion, if I were going for playability I would probably go LTD neck thru over the 90's bolt on Ouija but that is just a personal preference for me. I have owned 3 Ouijas...I had a neck thru custom shop back in the mid 90s (regret selling), an LTD neck thru, and a 2009 white neck thru that I still own. I am just not much of a bolt on guy if there is a choice available (do own a Tom Anderson and a Godin). That being said, the ESP bolt heel is one fo the best on the market so it probably comes down to what you are looking to do with the guitar. Play it, I stick by my recommendation. If you are looking for one mainly as a collectible, I would say get the ESP bolt on over the LTD.

As Steel Edge pointed out, the old Ouijas (and also the LTD) have rosewood boards. The 2009 ESPs have Ebony. I generally prefer the "dustier" feel of rosewood but the ebony looks badass on the resissue ESPs with mirrored inlays. The original Ouijas came in a couple of different versions, skull & crossbone inlays and also moon and star inlays. The moon and star look way better IMO. There is one up for sale on eBay right now.

Big Daddy B

I just went back to look at the one on ebay. While I do think it's legit and not a fake, they really didn't do a good job applying the graphic on that one. The sun looks kinda crooked. You may want to wait this one out if you are looking for a collectible.

Guijs

Yes I was looking that one on Ebay. My wife will kill me if I buy another guitar right now but that one catch my eye and I didn't know there was a real Ouija version for that price. Although I always wanted a neck-thru KH-2.

I really want a KH-2 for my collection, but I will play it a lot at home, so it needs to play well and sound good. 

load more replies (1 of 1)
Shockers

I have a LTD Ouija, of course the ESP versions are better, but the LTD was limited in number also <500. 
Still very nice to play.  Some people don't like the painted neck.

I have played a 90's bolt on, and found it to be really nice to play all be it for an hour or so.

DanieLibuy

SteelEdge just said it: 

The 90s ESP (own a 97 Ouija) are far far better in construction, wood resonance and touch, I very close friend of mine has the LTD version, I would say that it's "modern", it has slightly lower action, my ESP's bridge won't go further down. But you can feel it! BTW the Ouija on the bay is a really good option.

Regards.

Big Daddy B
DanieLibuy wrote:

SteelEdge just said it: 

The 90s ESP (own a 97 Ouija) are far far better in construction, wood resonance and touch, I very close friend of mine has the LTD version, I would say that it's "modern", it has slightly lower action, my ESP's bridge won't go further down. But you can feel it! BTW the Ouija on the bay is a really good option.

Regards.

Looks like the eBay one sold already

Guijs

Yes it was sold, but I unfortunately (or not) was not the buyer.  I will wait a little more and probably buy a KH-2 Vintage in the 3rd or 4th quarter. 

Big Daddy B
Guijs wrote:

Yes it was sold, but I unfortunately (or not) was not the buyer.  I will wait a little more and probably buy a KH-2 Vintage in the 3rd or 4th quarter. 

Not sure if you are interested but I purchased mine thru Sweetwater and they had a deal where if I signed up for their credit card, I had 2 years to pay the guitar off interest free (paid if off in 9 mos though). If you are looking to buy a new one, that is a pretty good deal. They also knocked off like $400 off the selling price. If you are interested let me know and I can get you in touch with the rep I worked with. They have one is stock but it is a 2011 so you may have more negotiating room (mine was a 2013). 

Big Daddy B

Guijs, I will send you a friends request. I may be selling a neck thru ESP hammett model so am curious what you budget is and if you might be interested.

Guijs

Hello,

Not sure if sweetwater would give me this deal, since I live in Brazil and I don't have a US bank account. But thanks for the help. What kind of neck thru KH-2 are you selling? Ouija?

Post to Thread