Import/Export CITES regulations

Updated
Import/Export CITES regulations

Hey guys....as some of you know, I have some JH models for sale. Some of them are located in Germany and some of them are in the US (where I live).

At some point in time I will need to import these babies into the US be it for either selling or keeping them. Since all of them consist of mahogany bodies and some of the have rosewood fingerboards, they fall under CITES regulation.

Does anyone have experience with getting the right licenses?

Big Daddy B

I purchased a used KH-2SE from Canada. The first shipping attempt was made via FedEx and they wanted a large amount of ppw completed including a report certifying the woods from a botanist and also needed to purchase a surety bond. Decided to cancel shipment. Then it was sent via Purolator and transferred to UPS for US delivery. No forms, no customs duties, nothing.

A few weeks ago I purchased a reissue strat from Canada. They seller shipped it express via Canada Post and it got transferred to US Postal Service for delivery. Again no forms or duties.

Based on research I did online the first time, looked like methodology using the postal services seemed to work best for shipping guitars followed by UPS. Seemed like FedEx and DHL had lots of issues.

Of course I can only comment as a recipient, not a shipper.

vdubs75

Well, for what I know now. USCBP samples incoming shipments and the risk to "get caught" if you import CITES regulated woods (e.g. brazilian rosewood) are quite low. If you're caught your screwed. They usually seize the guitar and you won't get it back, and you might face crazy fines. It's a gamble.

Post to Thread