Serial Number Check?

Updated
Fiutem F.

K1249304

Hello all; would someone please let me know if this serial number is legitimate?

Do all signature series have the ESP logo on the back of the headstock?    This one does not, and I feel like I got the deal of a lifetime on it.

It feels great, has the certificate of authenticity, came in what appeared to be original packaging, has the logo on the case, and appears to have come from a legitimate dealer.  Am I just being paranoid, or am I in good shape?

Thanks to all; Happy Holidays

Pushead

No idea on the original price, but it's definitely legit. Looks great. Too bad it's not string through.

Francis S.

Hi! I'm looking forward to buying an ESP Explorer... I'm also new to the forum and so to this thread, I just subscribed to have your opinion about the guitar itself and it's authenticity and conditions.

I checked the serial code and it seems that everything's okay, it's from '92 as the guy says, but I checked it here (http://www.guitarscollector.com/esp-serial-numbers.html) and it also says that the numbers should be written in a Times New Roman font if it's between 1990 and 1996, instead of an Arial type one, which is the font of this guitar. It's the only thing that gets me doubtful... well, also, the site says that the ESP Custom Shop rounded logo behind the headstock ISN'T a feature of ESP guitars made for the Japanese market and/or custom orders, but the seller says it's Made in Japan, and I know that ESP guitars should be made in Japan, indeed... that could be explainable saying it's made in Japan but for export, though.

What do you guys think?

Francis S.

Sorry for the spam, I'm not that familiar with posting in forums and so I had a few troubles posting these pictures with the text, etc.

Pushead

It's legit.

The "Custom Guitars" circle logo on the back is indeed a feature of a guitar made for export.  The Times logo would be for the back of the head stock, not the neck plate, but the hardware (the licensed Floyd especially) are correct for that 92-93 time period.

Francis S.

a-haa! that's why!
Thanks a lot for your opinion man.

And sound/tone-wise... I'm buying what I hear on records and lives I know this guitar is used in.
I know it depends on a big variety of factors, including amp, obviously amp settings, pedals, etc., but yeah, I should expect it to be pretty fat and neat anyway, right?

Pushead

Even with the Floyd it should be big and beefy. You might want to have a spare pair of undershorts ready, just in case.

Francis S.

hahahaha!

Because the floyd should affect the tone, somehow?
Or you mean the whammy bar?

Also... with my current and only guitar I keep breaking strings at the bridge. Eh.
It's really an issue for me... as far as I know, it seems that with the floyd it's hard to do two things:

1) Making the guitar go out of tune;
2) Breaking strings.

Is that true?

Pushead

Some people consider a Floyd Rose to have a thinner sound than the same guitar with a fixed bridge like a tune-o-matic. They'll do things like adding a bigger block (the part where the strings attach) to add more mass to the bridge.

If you're breaking strings at the bridge, you may want to refile the saddle for the string. If it's breaking behind the saddle, you may have a cracked clamping block and it's not holding the string tight enough.

Francis S.

Okay, it should be the saddle then.

I guess no problem with a Floyd of a uber-well kept Explorer, then, though.

Anton G.

Hi, I'm new to this and was rather hoping someone could enlighten me with regard to this particular guitar. It's got a 5 digit stamp at the bottom of the fretboard, a  scarfed neck joint and abalone markers. The EMG's aren't original, it did have a proper German Floyd Rose though, but that's in my Les  Paul axcess now. Anyhow, it's a real nice guitar,  I'd just like to know more about it and would appreciate any help given. Ignore the pinstripes , that's just me.

Cheers.

A

Pushead

1990-ish. Maple neck, rosewood board, likely an alder body. It's an M-II Custom.  The block at the 12th fret should read ESP, but it's possible that the black ink has been dug or sanded out in a refret over the years.

Anton G.

Very helpful, thanks a lot. Why no "made in Japan" label or whatever though, can you shed any light on that please?

Cheers.

Anton G.

Had a very close look at this block, found nothing to suggest that the logo had ever been present. l'm certain it's not been refretted, indeed, I don't think it had much play time at all. Probably kept under someone's bed or something.

Pushead

The "Made in Japan" is just a sticker. It was probably just ripped off at one point or another.

Big Daddy B
Pushead wrote:

The "Made in Japan" is just a sticker. It was probably just ripped off at one point or another.

Or if it was a guitar originally sold in Japan?? I believe a lot of those don't get the sticker.

Anton G.

l was thinking more like this, rather than a sticker. It's what's left of my old Kirk Hammett, think I bought it in '92.

Big Daddy B

Might have been before they were using those logos. If you look at some of Kirk's original guitars, they don't have them either. Also the year 2013 they didn't use them. That should not be alarming.

Anton G.

Interesting stuff, that kind of confirms what I'd pieced together so far. 

Pushead

Yeah, they weren't using the circle logos in that time frame.

Post to Thread