• Charles S.

What years were Sigs "Custom Shop"?

I understand that the 2013 signatures were and continue to be "custom shop".  What, if any, prior years were considered custom, or where they always "ESP standard" level?  I've got a 2000 KH and I'm looking at picking up a 2007 Truckster.  Just curious, hope someone out there has the answer, thanks!!!! 

• lec0rsaire

It depends. Probably mostly in the '90s. I know that many of the KH-2 bolt ones were custom shops for a fact. Not sure if mine is. It's from 1998 and I had to wait 4 months to get it from Sam Ash on 48th st. That was before ESP blew up in the 2000s and everyone and their mother found out about them and bought them, usually LTDs. For the recent last 10 year guitars, if a signature guitar has an SS serial and a signature series stamp it's not custom shop. Custom shops have serials starting with K,T and another letter? They also have the custom shop stamp on the back of the headstock. There is a difference in quality. How big of a difference and is it worth the extra $1-2,000 extra is up to you.

• Charles S.

Thank you, much appreciated.  

• HateEvent

As above - the main thing to check is the serial number. If it begins 'SS' then it is a 'Signature Series'.

The Signature Series was introduced in 2004. Prior to that, the signature models were from the Custom Shop.

Even from 2004 onwards there have always been Custom Shop versions of a lot of the signature guitars. The KH-2 for example was available as a Signature Series Neck Thru, Custom Shop Bolt On & Custom Shop Neck Thru from 2004.

• D-EJ915

not super relevant since most signature models are not horizons but it is easy to tell a custom shop horizon by the ridges in the carving.  custom built ones have much more defined ridges than the bulk-built standard models do and the shape is a tiny bit different. (I have seen custom models with the "standard" shape but they are not the norm)

custom: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/esp/product_images/000/010/642/xlarge.png?1389983129

standard: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/esp/product_images/000/010/736/xlarge.png?1389983530

• Big Daddy B
      HateEvent wrote:

As above - the main thing to check is the serial number. If it begins 'SS' then it is a 'Signature Series'.

The Signature Series was introduced in 2004. Prior to that, the signature models were from the Custom Shop.

Even from 2004 onwards there have always been Custom Shop versions of a lot of the signature guitars. The KH-2 for example was available as a Signature Series Neck Thru, Custom Shop Bolt On & Custom Shop Neck Thru from 2004.

Actually I read somewhere that SS actual stands for Standard Series. The "signature series" were typically produced at the same factory though there are exceptions. An example would be the KH-2 Vintage which was always produced at the Kiso custom shop so had a K serial but did have the signature series stamp for a while (mine is a 2013 and doesnt)

Cancel