Dilemma...

Updated
97StangSVT
So, I have been in the market for a guitar recently and I come across a JH-2 for sale. The guitar is in decent shape, has some dings and knicks, no COA, but I can get it for $2000. Then, I get an e-mail from a guy that I have been trying to buy an MX from and he wants to sell it to me for $2500. The MX is in great shape. What one would you choose and why?
fourmz

MX if it is neck thru. I believe the JH-2 is a bolt on.

MV-CTM

EXP and JH-2 are bolt-on

97StangSVT

The MX is neck-thru.

Major Insane

the MX is a Set-neck..

or atleast that's what I've read here.
JH-2 and EXP ar boltys.
the JH-2 will probably have a higher value over time seeing that it is a Signature model.
I would probably go for the MX, but we will need pics of said damage to see if the JH-2 is worth the 2000$.

and pics are allways nice ;)

Colin Parks ESP Artist

having had a jh2 and a exp in the past I have just bought a custom order mx, they are all great. I would get mx or jh2 if it was me.

CyVy_84

I have a white MX-2 and I love it. It is the best guitar i've ever owned and played. it is a beast.

i never played a JH-2 or saw it in real live, i like the diamond plate, but i am not a big fan of rosewood-fretboards (the way they look like - not the way they sound like!!!). other thing are the inlays. the MX dots are simple - true. the JH-2 inlays are custom...but i always thought that i will not like them after watching them a few weeks. so i don't know.

i would go for the MX, because you said it is in great shape. would not buy a damaged JH-2 - and never, never do it without seeing pics of it!

you said no COA - what about the JH-2 case?

load more replies (2 of 2)
Gfunk

having had a jh2 and a exp in the past I have just bought a custom order mx, they are all great. I would get mx or jh2 if it was me.

:confused:

The more you post, the less sense you make......

97StangSVT

Okay, here are some pics of it....

97StangSVT

and more...

97StangSVT

some more....

vdubs75

Well,

I own a EXP, a JH-2 and a white MXII. I have to say that even the JH-2 is bolt-on I like it the best. Not only from a collector's point of view, but also when it comes to playing. The sound is just fat from the diamond plate, and it's one of the coolest looking guitar. Even if it's a bolt-on, the quality in comparison to the EXP is way better. I really like the rosewood fretboard. The MXII set neck is a beauty as well. I paid $2500 for it a year ago and I guess that's a reasonable price nowadays. I track the prices a little and the median for the JH-2 is around $3500. The cheapest one I found was in 1999 for $1600. $2000 is a steal, but then it depends on the dings and nicks. If there are no cracks you can still let it re-finish. It's a hell of guitar and it would be the one that I keep if I had to sell my explorers.

97StangSVT

If I wanted to get the guitar re-finished, how much do you think that would run? From what I can tell of the pictures I posted, I did not see any cracks, but I am going to e-mail the guy and ask him.

frantic77

yes the case is ok
how is the fretboard-frets?
if you are a Het fan it is not that bad for 2K,IMO

97StangSVT

Not sure about the frets/fretboard, he is going to take some pictures with a digital camera instead of a blackberry. Any ideas on how much it would cost to have the guitar refinished? Do they strip it down to the bare wood and then re-paint it?

97StangSVT

Pictures of the dings...

97StangSVT

and more...

Post to Thread