new to EMGs; need advice

Updated
jclogston
Hi all - Looking for pickup suggestions - just picked up a ltd kh202. This will be for my "metal" guitar; so looking for nice distorted lead/rhythm sound for the bridge and the neck to be used for cleans. Based on this, was going to go with the 81/60 set. But after reading some discussion on active pickups, it seems they are not as dynamic as passives and are better suited if playing through a tube amp (using a fender super champ xd with various pedals). So what EMG passives would accomplish this? The pickups currently in the kh202 (2009) have some esp 301 pickups - how do these compare with the emg-hz series? I want, if possible, pickups which have black pickup cover which do not show the coils as i might eventually have the ouija or mummy (kirk hammett-like) decals put on this guitar. Thanks in advance, jeff
Dilzdo21

who ever tells you emgs arnt as dynamic are full of crap , 81 60 is a good set , if your using this for metal i mean its just obvious, kirk and james both use the 81. It does cleans really well too. Roll back the volume and anythings possible. Alot of tone is based on your amp

Justinschut

Id go for the 81/60 (or maybe the new x versions, havent played them yet). If you go with passives, I wouldnt go with EMG..

Mark K.

Id go for the 81/60 (or maybe the new x versions, havent played them yet). If you go with passives, I wouldnt go with EMG..

^+1 on that...I've had EMG Hz-H4's in my KH202 ('05 version) they are crap, so I switched them for some 81/81's..sounds killer right now!

jclogston

Thanks everyone - i think i'm gonna go with the 81X/60X combo. I'll let you all know how they sound....

thanks again,

jeff

singlecoilpickup

Thanks everyone - i think i'm gonna go with the 81X/60X combo. I'll let you all know how they sound....

thanks again,

jeff

Good call. That's what I have in my Explorer. I think the X-Series sounds a bit better than standard EMG's.

load more replies (1 of 1)
nabeel

I have a '94 kh-2 with 81, I wanna swap out the neck 81, so if anyone wants to buy it lemme know, or trade the 81 for a 60...

MasterOfPuppies

i've done it with my kh2 n-thru.
you need time to get used to the 60 if you come from the 81 on the neck.
it's more bluesy and less gainer of course. cleans are softer and cleaner ;)
ps: don't sell the 81 if you can.
keep them all ;)

fretdude

emg's are for pathetic wankers who want to hide their sub par guitar skills behind a wall of sonic noise!

MasterOfPuppies

emg's are for pathetic wankers who want to hide their sub par guitar skills behind a wall of sonic noise!

lol

the world was waiting for you to come

fretdude

we're back!:evil hee hee hee with a vengeance of hate to spew forth on ego bearing humanity! hoo huuh huh roaaaar! :evil

MasterOfPuppies

:)

fretdude

mister Asmodeous/Lucifer makes me say bad things- the real me says EMG's are great if thats what your after!

Post to Thread