GL-256 based on which guitar?

Updated
thlh
Are the models based on anything in particular that George has played or was this something new he had done? I THOUGHT that the original Mr. Scary was a beat up Strat, but I keep seeing pictures of a Kramer as the real Mr. Scary. And no, I'm not talking about "Mom." Everyone mistakes that one for the Mr. Scary.
bessant1

There was never a guitar named after the Mr Scary track, George was playing his original Kami's, plus his purple tiger, and his Mr Graffiti in the Back for the Attack days, not sure when he got his hands on his 56 strat, but It all came from there, get your hands on Dokken, One live night, You'll see George playing his original, Just got myself a 256, Love it, ESP has released two GL-56 Models, the 256 is based on the second '10 years after release',

Pharaoh

There was never a guitar named after the Mr Scary track, George was playing his original Kami's, plus his purple tiger, and his Mr Graffiti in the Back for the Attack days, not sure when he got his hands on his 56 strat, but It all came from there, get your hands on Dokken, One live night, You'll see George playing his original, Just got myself a 256, Love it, ESP has released two GL-56 Models, the 256 is based on the second '10 years after release',

The Gl-56 is one of the best playing 'broken in' feeling guitars they've made...

load more replies (1 of 1)
Borked Bob

Yes, yes it does.

thlh

I know the track was actually named after the guitar. Mr. Scary was an early Kramer with an ESP neck. I'll take a look at "One Night Live."
Also, my GL-256 seems extremely dark. I thought maybe it was the stock pickups, but I switched them out and it's STILL really dark sounding. I'm curious if the wood is just really dead. The guitar sustains pretty well, but I can't get any output from it. Really strange.

bessant1

I might well be wrong, but I heard a story that Randy Rhodes once called George ..Mr Scary and it just kinda stuck from there, always liked that story, This early Kramer, was it the one with what looked like cut out claw marks on the bottom left hand side? What pickup's did you switch to? I was tempted to get some Pearly gate's but not got round to it yet,

thlh

Hmmm. I never heard that story, but it's a good one. Hard to believe George was such a force on the scene back then, but only in LA.
As for my problem, I finally tracked it down. I was getting some capacitance between the output jack and the shielding in the cavity. Now it sounds like an absolute mother! I put a GFS VEH in it. Excellent pickup for the price. Very hot alnico V.

1point8t

Mr. Scary was a Kramer Baretta that had a skull graphic underneath the strings, ahead of the bridge pickup. It took quite the beating and was eventually hung up in place of the ESP's that Lynch started playing in the early days.

Post to Thread