My JH-3 #024 could go on sale soon..

Updated
guscrown
Hey everyone, A few months ago I sold my JH-2 to a guy I met through eBay. This dude was from South Cali and he picked it up personally, which was great because I didn't pay any eBay and paypal fees. I'm considering selling my JH-3 this time, not for the same reasons as before; this time I want to invest the money in equipment for recording music (MIDI Keyboard, Steve Vai guitar, maybe an Axe-Fx Ultra, etc, etc) What I want to know (since you guys have all the experience), how good idea is to sell this guitar currently? I have no idea what the price is, but since it cost me more than the JH-2, and that one sold for $4,100 US, I'm expecting this one to go above $5,000 US. Anyone can give me their opinion on this scheme of mine?
Ozzfun

The suspense is killing me! WHEN will this go on sale?

Soon is such a loaded statement!

guscrown

I always thought the JH-3 would be worth more, after all it cost me more when it came out.

I'm willing to negotiate something if someone is really interested in the guitar.

ozzfan84: The guitar is already on sale, I'm just waiting for the good offers. :P

vdubs75

As I can remember it came out for MSRP of $2,699. Did you pay more than that?

guscrown

If I remember correctly I paid $2,999 for it. I should look up the receipt. And I believe I paid $2,300ish for the JH-2.

vdubs75

I got you. I thought you meant it cost you more than the $3K.....

guscrown

I bought it directly from a dealer here in San Diego when they were just being made or something, because it took a few months to get here.

Ozzfun

I do not believe these were 3K when they came out.

Even with an MSRP like jays is suggesting, the price in store would have obviously been lower.

These were also a good while back now. And when the relic came out at around 3k, it was seen as being one of the most expensive ESPs readily available in the states.

Mod?

Guitarslingerans

I do not believe these were 3K when they came out.

Even with an MSRP like jays is suggesting, the price in store would have obviously been lower.

These were also a good while back now. And when the relic came out at around 3k, it was seen as being one of the most expensive ESPs readily available in the states.

Mod?

It wasn't over 3K new. My brand new JH3 was 1800 and change out the door at Mars music here in Houston Texas. The other Mars had a JH3 hanging on the wall so long they dropped the price to 1300 or less probably, before it actually sold. So yeah, the MSRP MIGHT have been right at 2700-3K, but the sale price certainly was not.

-A-

guscrown

Yeah, I could be mistaken. But I know it wasn't above $3K, that is for sure. BUt I do know it was around $300-$400 more expensive than the JH-2. I just don't remember the exact ammount, it was 10 years ago I believe. :P

But Jay could be right, $2,699 sounds reasonable.

guscrown

$1,300?? Yikes!! I guess I went to the wrong dealer.

I think Jay's price sounds about right for what I paid for it.

I didn't pay it upfront, I was paying maybe $500 a month for it for a few months before the guitar arrived.

guscrown

As of now I'm considering offers under $5K. So if someone is interested please contact me.

guscrown

Thanks Ozzfan.

I went through my old files and I found 2 receipts for the guitar. One was a down payment of $500 and the second is for $2403.17. So I believe I paid $2903.17 for it. Receipt is from Sep 22 1999.

I also have here the letter sent by ESP since they didn't have the COA. The letter says:

"To whom it may concern,

This letter is to certify that this limited production ESP JH-3 James Hetfield signature model #024 was produced by the ESP Guitar Company in 1999.

Sincerely,

Todd Binder
Product Development Manager
ESP Guitar Company"

The letter is dated January 23, 2004.

Pushead

I'll give you $1379 for it. You can keep the letter from ESP.

guscrown

I'll give you $1379 for it. You can keep the letter from ESP.

Funny.

Pushead

Aunt Edna

JKD

Lack of COA halves it's value to a collector...sell it to me for $2500 :x

The only way to get what you think it's worth is eBay....a bidding war will surely drive the price up!

Crazyfrase

I would agree the lack of COA significantly drops the collectors value.

As a guitar, if in good condition, I would say 3-3.5k tops.

Who knows, let ebay be your guide.

guscrown

I was not aware of the importance of the COA.

So basically this letter I got ESP is worth nothing?

Do people from ESP read the forums regularly? I would like to take another shot at getting a COA or a better document that will not drop the price so drastically.

Post to Thread