\m/ NGD \m/ Trippin' on the Edwards build quality

Updated
Undyne
Wow are we pleased with the this Edwards. It's an Alexi pink sawtooth E-AL-166, of course. I'm biding my tide for a Hanne (I'm a kahler freeky dude, that's all that should be said there...), and this was a freebie go-ahead from my better half, so I jumped on it pretty hard after some research. Hi, been lurking a while, you people are a bunch of thugs, aren't ya? Holy f@#%$hit, I have to go with the ESP > Edwards > LTD theme. Don't get me wrong, my chick's SC-608B is a sweet axe, but this little honey has the touch of art in the details. I am perfectly happy ~not~ to have laid down for the US ESP. (A short-lower-horn Japanese ESP pink Alexi might have been a different story, had one popped up, ... but, nah. I really couldn't ask much more of a RR-style V than I got. Very very very happy man.) Full review coming, including the MM-04 and the Duncan active. WTF with the current wait times for all models? ESP has us all drooling and wandering around wanting and waiting. Oh, wait, maybe that's the plan. Well, OK then, fucking sign us up at this end, you know? After looking at the Edwards, I'm not sure for the first time that I'd want ESP to simply increase the production of their current US exports, though. I'd much rather lust and bust and rust for guitars of this quality, than see ESPs and LTDs of lower quality start appearing everywhere, like for instance some companies (*cough JacksonImeanFender cough*) have done with their mass crass production. Fanboi thugs, that's what you all are. So I don't want to hear smack about my pink Alexi. Besides, who don't like some pink V?
Undyne

LTD Stef 8, a 20+ year-old Charvel, and a (blush) Warlock.

Weasley

Nice shoes.

hah, seriously though, nice collection, and welcome:p

metalhobo

Killer man.

http://bbs.espguitars.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=939&d=1231209563

I didn't know that Edwards used Korean Floyds, not the German ones. Does the LTD Deluxe Series have German or Korean?

Undyne

Wondering myself about the state of OFRs right now.

I don't think you can trust model pictures right now. It looks to ~me~ like the ESP Japan website seems to show the epoxy black tuners and bridge on several Edwards, but the move to the de-leaded black chrome is happening fast, because this one has shown up with black chrome everywhere. The jh-600 Edwards version still has a Floyd, not a Kahler like the US LTD, and it's got the older inlays from the looks of the ESP Japan site. But I'll bet a recent Edwards Henneman would come with this same bridge as on this Edwards Alexi, and not the solid black epoxy finish.

Are the German Floyds are compliant with their coatings, or will they have to ditch the black finish also?

As much as I love black chrome, I really miss good old black-epoxy-style metal finishing. We are going to see less of that for a while, me thinks. This bridge doesn't say licensed, it says Floyd Rose. I am wondering if it's one of the new "OFR" license holders', uh, "OFR"s.

However, I really like the bridge. It's pretty, and they've done a good job of recessing the lower bridge plate, on this body, it's not too buried and not totally floating. It went to straight D tuning pretty easily, and re-levelled without too much hassle. Well-behaved so far.

load more replies (1 of 1)
DUFF

What's up with dudes wanting pink guitars?

Shreddy

Welcome to the Edwards Alexi family!

:)

I got an EMG HZ-H4 unluckily. I swapped it for a SD JB now so no worries! :D

twiztedchild

Woo Chick with a 8 string.....Right? lol

load more replies (1 of 1)
fuzzymuffler

Your girl can play on 8 strings? She's better than me. Nice fiddles btw.

Undyne

thx on modest axes, gettin' there.

The eight-string situation is pure determination on her part. She is a fairly new player. I would consider going to 7, but not eight. I think to play it right, you have to come all the way underneath it and play it almost like a lute. Gone is any idea of grabbing the neck, Blues or Hendrix style, unless you're just going to stretch for the heavies when you occasionally want them. She switches between a bolt-on JH-200 with the kahler, and the Stef B8, but always tries to warm up with the 8. Yes the six strings are easier to play! I think, for sure.

It seems that, for a while, when the guitar was a new instrument (it's bold and loud, unlike a lute or harp, better for singing in bars, I guess) the guitar had four strings, or "courses". Mid 1500's : "The four-course vihuela, which is called guitar." Then for a little over 200 years, it had five. The five-course guitar (or ten, if you double-strung them like a modern 12-string) kinda ruled the whole minstrel, check-out-my-axe scene for a while. Then it hit six strings, maybe around late 1700s. Let's say after about 200-250 years of five strings (rough approximation), we notice the builders making more and more six strings. Then about 200 to 250 years of six strings, which would bring us up to about 1990 or so, we notice the builders making more and more seven strings. Seems like we are right on track. I am not sayin' we'll all be playing 7-strings in 200 years, but maybe.

After having the Alexi, I am re-thinking my Henne plans. I like the RR shape and weight, and I love the bare neck.

A 7-string pink Alexi Sawtooth with black Kahler would be sick.

Shreddy

You should swap guitars with her. :p

Undyne

All the guitars that come in the house should be hers. :p

fixed

Upside: Metal chick.
Downside: Female G.A.S. Pause to contemplate.

Post to Thread