LTD DV8 Dave Mustaine Model - Any Good???

Updated
LTD DV8 Dave Mustaine Model - Any Good???
I was looking at one of those Dave Mustaine DV8 LTDs yesterday, the ones what the SD Mustaine sig pickups. For £649 would it be a good deal??? Can anyone post pics of theirs or their old ones, with a short review please?
Pharaoh

The DV8-R wasn't so bad. Being a big fan of the DV8 at the time, I was cool with it. Compared to the ESP, it was a little heavier and often not as well-dressed fret-wise. The rosewood on the boards wasn't too bad but occasionally you'd see some really swirly ones.

I had a couple. They were nice "bonehead" guitars to beat on. I had ESP DV8's mostly, but have had two of the LTD's as well. I still have a black one. (I gave the silver one away to a friend of mine) It's a pretty stable and solid guitar and my black one doesn't even have a case anymore. It's exposed all the elements and treated like complete crap...but plays in tune perfectly and still comes back for more.

As far as the Mustaine pickups, that's preferrential just like any guitar. You may like them. You may not...only you can say. I myself liked them when they came out. But I found myself moving away from them and removing them from all my DV8's after the novelty wore off...they were kinda brittle sounding for me. I also found out that black nickel cover on them is not only a pain in the ass to bother cleaning all the time, but is made to age and look like it's been beat. It's a thin mylar-like plating that WILL come off. (Once it starts, you can peel lil' pieces. Some even had production flaws from Duncan where you'd have a bubble in the "plating"...)

All in all, the only thing I really warn people of when they ask about my DV's is the size. It is a larger V than a Jackson or BC. So often my friends will sit with it, like it, and then find out it's too big for them when they stand up.

exhibit-sbt

DV8's had half the weight of the V-350 series. Trust me I held them next to each other. I actually liked the DV8s, but not enough to own. They seem like pretty good guitars.

Pharaoh

DV8's had half the weight of the V-350 series. Trust me I held them next to each other. I actually liked the DV8s, but not enough to own. They seem like pretty good guitars.

the original V-series had maple necks and stuff didnt they? I wasn't an ESP fan back then, but I think they were made outta heavier woods. The DV8's were really light mahogany. (The kind I wish Gibby would use instead of making 14 pound Les Pauls...lol)

Dilzdo21

god forbid usta swear by them , they are awsome korean guitars

can take a beating , stay in tune, good weight, good materials

Skullet

Imperium i seen the one your talking about today,by any chance was it in the glasgow reverb shop :)? looks good , think im gna go up and play it on monday :hat

kgry

I bought one of the LTD SE's off Jedmonds a while back. The guitar sounded great but it was my first V and I felt like I was going to smash the ends into something every time I turned around.

ESPimperium

Imperium i seen the one your talking about today,by any chance was it in the glasgow reverb shop :)? looks good , think im gna go up and play it on monday :hat

Thats the one. And if you live in Glasgow as well, put up your fucking location.

load more replies (1 of 1)
El Diablo

I have a black Ltd Dv8-r and I´m really happy with it, and compared to other V´s in that price level the Ltd is the best of them. Sperzels, Duncans, neck-thru, nice thin neck, the only small complaint is that I can´t play it sit down for too long, this guitar is for stand up playing, go for it.

Yo Daddy

Not to bash you El Diablo but why do people have such a hard time figuring out how to play this guitar sitting down? It's the most comfortable guitar to play especially when sitting.

Dan

Not to bash you El Diablo but why do people have such a hard time figuring out how to play this guitar sitting down? It's the most comfortable guitar to play especially when sitting.

Yeah, what's up with that? Do people NOT know to play a V in the classical positioning? I find mine easier to play sitting down than standing up.

load more replies (1 of 1)
El Diablo

Yeah It´s comfortable to play the V, I just say I can´t play it for too long when sitting down, Classical position it´s just not my thing right now, I prefer when sit down a smaller type of guitar like an Eclipse or Viper. :D

garyjfoster

i have the ltd silver with the signature livewires...this guitar rules

Big Rich

had a black dv8r with the livewires and it was a great guitar it played awesome and sounded great the one i had was really light too

i personally hated the pickups they were kinda shitty but thats just my opinion i sold it a few months ago to buy an m2 bolt on so i never got around to swapping them out for emgs

ive heard that the dv8rs were real hit or miss too some were awesome and some were really shitty so try it out before you buy it

garyjfoster

yeah ofcourse i do...and i got a mint one

blistered earth

yes

garyjfoster

my favorite guitar i own...its amazing

Tycho

Iv got an ltd DV8 r and it really does kick ass. I bought mine from reverb in glasgow about a year ago an it really does rip it up. I really like the pickups in it, but unfortunatly it needs to go as Im having a big clearout of guitars! If your interested in buying a Silver LTD model Imperium, let me know!

garyjfoster

pics please

Danny K.

I found one in silver with the passive Seymour Duncans. It's $425 (usd). The guitar itself is $400. The shipping is $25. Should I go for it or no?

ESP 348

For $400, why not?

Danny K.

I need to gather my funds first. Luckily I'm checking the place where I found the guitar daily to see if it has sold.

ESP 348

Sweet man, good luck with it.

Danny K.

Thanks man.

Post to Thread