Need help with strings and Floyd

Updated
Arcane
Hey guys. I've got a LTD 200 Alexi sig. Got it a while back and I've restrung it once. When I got it, it was obviously tuned to standard, but I play in Dropped C or 1 step down. When I restrung it, I tuned it to dropped C, but strangely I actually had to TIGHTEN the springs of the bridge to balance the bridge to the correct position. I find this strange, seeing that dropped C/ 1 step down puts less tension on the bridge, thus putting less tension on the springs. The strings I use are Ernie Ball regular Slinkys. 10-46 gauge. I like it more than the Super slinkys, cause the 9 gauge string is too thin and snaps way too easily IMO. At the moment the springs are at such a tension, that I think if I were to decide to tune it to standard, it would put too much tension on it and I may have to buy a 4th spring to get it right. Now, a few questions: 1. What gauge strings should I use for dropped C/ 1 step down, seeing that I have this situation? 2. Which gauge is it that the guitar got shipped with that was fine for standard and the 3 springs on the bridge? 3. Would it be unnecessary to get another spring for the bridge? 4. What do you consider to be too much tension for the springs, thus resulting in having to get another spring? 5. What other opinions may you guys have about this problem in general? P.S. I am trying to save up for a 600, so don't say that the 200 has a crappy Floyd, coz I still luv this axe! :p
willhaven

If you run out of room on the spring claw, you add another spring. I've got my Horizons clamped all the way down and I tune to drop C using 13-54 strings. But again, I have my floyds blocked from going sharp, so I'm actually putting more tension against the block to keep it from vibrating or going out of tune when I bend.

Some guitars aren't built properly and have a really short grounding cable soldered to the spring claw. So make sure you can actually screw it in further and not pull your wiring apart in the process. :)

coyote

1. Try Ernie Ball Top Heavy strings.
2. Floyds ship with 9's
3. You will not need another spring for drop c
4. That shouldnt be a problem
5. The reason you had to adjust your bridge was because of the bigger strings you put on. Makes a huge difference on a floyd. Its not a problem though, completly normal.

Arcane

Ok, cool. Thanx for the advice guys. And the tip about the grounding cable Willhaven. :) I didn't think that 1 gauge difference would affect it like this. This is my first Floyded guitar, so I'm still working out the kinks. Hey what about this layout for the springs? What does it do?

load more replies (1 of 1)
xdaynex

hey dont esp/ltd guitars ship with an extra spring in the box?

CL4P-TP

hey dont esp/ltd guitars ship with an extra spring in the box?

Mine didn't. I got the allen wrenches it needed, but not a spring.

Ok. And what about the spring layout in the picture? Anyone know why it's like that?

I think it just puts more force on the higher strings, and less on the bottom.

I'm completely making a guess though, so I could be wrong.

xdaynex

also-would u need an extra spring if u get guage 11-50 strings? or would tightening them all the way work?

57Octane

My KH-202 came with an extra string. So did my Squier Showmaster. Sadly, the LFR on the Showmaster is 10 times better than the one of the KH...

If your going to be putting such heavy gauges on your guitar, maybe you will need one and maybe you wont. It depends on the tuning your after, what gauges of strings you have, how stiff your springs are, how far you have them screwed in, etc. With Drop-C, I'd think you'd be fine without an extra spring.

I've seen people use as high as 13's on Drop-C. I just don't get it myself. I run 9's just fine. Hell I have an old knock off strat in Drop-B with 10's. I guess I'm just lucky that my shit works that way. Or maybe I'm missing something. I don't know. :lol

Post to Thread