kh3 vs kh2

Updated
haha
so i've become really interrested in buying the kh3 but; i will probably never be able to play one before i ordered my one. i'd really appreciate it if some people with experience of the kh3 and kh2 (bolton and neck-thru would be nice) could tell me the differences when it comes to sound, playability etc. i guess the most interresting question is just exactly how much the bolton affects playing in the high frets (when compared to the neck-thru kh2). and one more; how are the ltds 602 and 603 compared to their respective esp?
Jan S.

the KH2 bolt-on is still very accessable on higher fret level, even compared to a neckthru.
The joint is carved in a way so you don't have any trouble accessing the upper part of the neck, so that is definately not a problem

haha

is it the same with the kh3 then?

btw, does anyone know if mr hammett's own "spider" is a bolt-on or neck-thru?

haha

ok. how about the sound then? i think read somwhere that the kh3 have a "fatter" tone due to more wood in the body. and yeah the inlays and graphic are just wicked sick, sort of what turned me on :P

tallikaz

Playability on the upper frets on the KH2 it's not a problem, not at all.

Both ESP are awesome guitars. You can play whatever you want with any of them and you won't be dissapointed. But comparing both, I think I'd choose KH2 for its better playability on solos and KH3 for rythm parts, because it's true, it has a thicker/darker sound than the KH2.

haha

kk, but are you talking about the kh2 neck-thru tallikaz?

and saturationpoint; smaller-scale neck, why would you go with that? just a "personal preference" (seems to be one most used expressions here ^^)?

tallikaz

kk, but are you talking about the kh2 neck-thru tallikaz?

I'm talking about the bolt-on mod, that's the one I know well.;)

haha

oh, kk. but the kh3 can be played pretty fast once gotten used to or what?

haha

1. He isn't playing the frets closest to the body where the bolt-on "heel" is.

2. Well, first off Kirk plays custom shop neck-through versions.

haha

could somebody tell me the difference between the kh3 and the a lot cheaper kh603? i mean specwise they are basically exactly the same guitar except one is a bolton (the real and expensive one!), and the other a neck-thru (which someone stated is what kirk uses himself). i know, i know; boltons isn't necessarily

N3rdAl3rt

i wouldn't get the kh3 unless u get the neck thru one, thats jsut me, and i'd get the kh2 cuz the kh3 has a stupid spider graphic

Pushead

I would imagine playing a KH-3 bolt-on fast would be just like playing any bolt-on guitar fast. I have 2 KH-2s, and had a KH-3, and personally never had a problem. Plenty of people play bolt-ons without any problem. It's a personal preference thing.

Sure, a neck-through (or set through) will have a less bulky neck joint. If you find that your playing is restricted by how thick or blocky it is near the body, then that's your answer. Of course, different companies (and even different models) have different ways of shaping the neck to body transition on a neck through.

Kannon

I've seen a couple of different versions of the backs of the headstocks on various OS guitars (Namely Forests and Forest GTs). Are they completely non-standardized?

Like I've seen Serial + "Made in Japan", Serial + "ESP Custom Guitars" logo, all three, and just the serial number. Is there any reason to this, or is one without the "Custom Guitars" logo just a Standard series?

load more replies (2 of 2)
MV-CTM

The KH-3 is like playing a tele kind right? since it's got the flat top and back.

hammett3

kirk hammet's spider guitars are neck through :)

Algy

I’ll be getting my ltd 30th soon. I’m just so excited. Have been playing the Yamaha RGX with a 60/81 setup for nearly 30 years! 

ESP 348

They are great guitars man, you are going to love it.  

Algy

I ordered the ESP E2M2, is this going to be the same guitar like my ltd kh3 30th? 

Post to Thread