Emg HZ??

Updated
Dustin G.

Hello. I'm a new owner of a 2013 ec256 black see thru flame maple.  I got it in near mint condition for $150, so I'm pretty happy with it.  The sound is nice but it lacks something.   Im new to electric guitar so I don't even know how to describe it.  Anyway, I've researched ec256 upgrades and it seems most folks upgrade the pickups.  I was looking at EMG as they are often recommended.  Looking at the H4 and H4A.  Hoping to get a Metallica-esque sound.  They are about as heavy as I get.  Most of my tastes are 90s grunge, some old Tool, white zombie...no desire for anything heavier.   

Anyway as I look up H4 and H4A on amazon amd ebay a lot of links go to something called an HZ.  Those are not on EMG website.  On the back they say H4 amd H4A.  They are about half the price of one's from EMG. Are these older models?  Are they fakes?   I dont mind a discontinued model. But I'm afraid fakes would be no better than what's in there.   

If I went with the 81s, where do u put the battery?  Does it fit in the pot compartment?   

Any other recommendations are welcome.   

Thanks!!

Post to Thread